Old 12-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Talking Hensley is great, best of luck!

Hey Pat, hope you like the hensley, maybe you can tow to one of the women's rallies? Be sure to post your decision and set up, I'd love to see your checklist too, still drafting mine.

2air that is a great mixer, and red too! Did you find that on a bread baking forum? Oh where oh where can we read more about it? I was just trying to figure out how much bread dough I could get in that, wow that has the bosch universal mixer outdone! No kneading necessary!

Old 12-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens

Actually, we have a quite open and trusting relationship after a marraige now lasting for 38 years, 6 months and 17 days (but who is counting). Over the years we discussed most all major decisions sooner or later ......
GStephens, you have been married about the same amount of time we have and now my wife and I share your ability to communicate. In fact, I'm sure that you and your dear wife will have no problem if some of your "very" good friends from the airstream forum just show up some day with their shiny airstreams because Texas is much warmer than New England this time of year.

He He He

Mark

Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Markjoandall come on down. We reached 80 degrees yesterday. Its probably about 72 right now. No wind, perfect. I'm sitting here with the window open watching the birds at the feeder outside.

Seriously, we do have two 30 amp services with water and a restroom with a flush toilet out on the river at one of our places. The toilet sort of alleviates the need for septic. Others could boondock. There is plenty of room. We're always willing to meet Airstreamers of most any description. We've been approached by the new North Texas Camping Unit about the possibility of having them down for a boondocking rally sometime soon.
GStephens
Old 12-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Minor aside about the weather!

GS et al -

Glad you are still warm down in Texas. Here in ABQ, I woke up to snow flakes about an inch accross.......!!!!!! Had to rush out and replace the AC shroud that I had just removed last night - cleaning, checking and considering painting it. Good thing I left the ladder up....!!!

BTW - For a 15 year old shroud, it was in really good shape - just the AS script on the side was peeling BAD and wanted to check for cracks. All good as far as that goes. Of course, while I was up there I found the top paint peeling badly in some spots - good to check up close, as it all looked fine from the second floor window - must be a 10 yarder (Still looks good from 10 yards or better!). More work.

Now it's raining.... Looks like it could snow HARD again any minute.

Yesterday was in the 60's and sunny.

Don't like the weather, hurry up and wait 5 minutes....

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Axel
Old 12-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Check out any hitching system before buying

Don't want to be a wet blanket here, but be sure to check out any hitching system you are thinking of purchasing. Each has its own advantages and issues.
We had an Eazy Lift before and the tricky part was tensioning the WD bars, the levering of the chains on the bracket took a lot of oompf and when releasing them, you had better have a good grip on the tool.

The Hensley arrow has a very heavy "stinger" that should be removed from the truck while camping. Otherwise you have this large greasy steel bar poking out to catch passers-by in parking lots. If you are considering one, check out the weight since the instructions have you moving it back and forth between the hitch and the truck during hookup.

One of the nicest features of the Arrow is the tensioning system for the WD bars. A speed socket wrench or electric drill motor can make fast work of tensioning and releasing.

Good luck with your research!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Stringer weight

Dave, I thought that I had read that there was a very heavy part to remove from the Hensley.

I asked on a forum how much the stringer weighs and they said 15 lbs, which I feel that I can handle with no problem.

I am thinking about all of the pros and cons of each hitch-I want something I can handle by myself.

Am I wrong about this?

Thanks!

Pat
Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The Hensley Arrow hitch bar (stinger) weighs more like 40 lbs. It's kind of a bear to mess with, but the towing experience is well worth the effort.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Sorry to read that!

How far does it stick out when not towing? Can I leave it in or do I have to remove the stringer?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #23
_

. , .
hi starflyte1

weights here, post 10 or so.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...de-26279.html?

no need to remove stinger everytime. cover it as shown...

also no need to transfer backnforth to hitch up...

questions about the haha, need info it is there!

pictures, links, users...all there...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:07 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Hi 2air and Pat,
On post 10, it is stated that the hitchbar (stinger) weighs 50 lbs.
For some people, that is a heavy chunk of steel. For others, no big deal.

The best example of removing it is going to a restaurant after unhitching in the campground. You have this long heavy steel bar protruding at shin level into the parking lot. Even with a fluorescent cover, someone will walk right into it. Ask any fisherman how many times they walked into their own shiny ball hitch!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Hensley stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
Dave, I thought that I had read that there was a very heavy part to remove from the Hensley.

I asked on a forum how much the stringer weighs and they said 15 lbs, which I feel that I can handle with no problem.

I am thinking about all of the pros and cons of each hitch-I want something I can handle by myself.

Am I wrong about this?

Thanks!

Pat
Who says you have to disconnect it? I leave mine in 24/7 with no problems. I even bought a 6" long receiver tube from Tractor Supply to slip over the greasy shank so that I didn't get grease on my pants and to make it harder to steal the trailer with the receiver lock in place.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote