Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
I find these two comments to so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
NOTE: Most importantly; don't be distracted by others when hooking up. Do it alone and if others wish to chat, stop and chat, then get back to the task at hand by yourself. There's enough to check and double check without being distracted.
I dont' know about you but it seems that just as I'm about to go through the process of hooking things up, someone comes by and wants to talk. Why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
By the way - problems only ever happen in the rain or in heavy mosquito country.
I couple of years ago my wife and I were on a five week trip. During which we hitched and unhitched the AS countless times. And the only time I had issue was at Diamond Lake, Oregon. And the mosquitos were terrible as we were trying leave in the early AM.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk43 View Post
Any useful techniques for hitching up the Hensley Arrow. It tows great but it tries my patience when hitching up.
Lots of good suggestions here. Hooking up with a Hensley takes a bit of practice. We've had one for the last 7+ years hooking to our Silverado with a full window door on our topper (no tailgate to mess with).

Earlier I used two magnetic bases with a 3' threaded rod screwed into each (orange tape at the top of the rods). One I put on top of the stinger and the other on top of the orange HA receiver. I lined both up in the center rearview mirror and backed into alignment. A wooden stick with the proper reciever height made sure the trailer was at the right height to accept the stinger. Then, one time out of the truck at the final moment made sure everything was ready to connect.

Now I have learned to judge the side to side alignment by watching the topper door frame sides and how they line up with the propane tank cover. The marked stick for the proper receiver height makes sure all is ready for action. I also make sure the receiver is in the center position.

Many times now I am surprised when I get out for the final check and find myself 95% engaged.

LUBRICATE the stinger and receiver each event to simplify hookup and disengagement.

When unhooking I make sure the weight distribution bars are fully extended and then use the jack to move the trailer just a little until I detect movement where the stinger engages. Then, after making sure again everything is unhooked, pull the TV forward for an uneventful release.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp1937 View Post
A wooden stick with the proper reciever height made sure the trailer was at the right height to accept the stinger. ....... The marked stick for the proper receiver height makes sure all is ready for action.
Can you explain the "wooden stick" a little more. I'm sorry, I don't quite understand. Are you using a stick to mark the height of the reciver when you disconnect?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Our "stick" is a piece of scrap wood with the vertical hitching distance from ground to receiver marked on it with paint and a sharpie.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Rite-Hite sticks...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July Forth trip To Cold Brook 018.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	171679