Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2002, 02:05 AM   #1
Les

Thumbs up Hensley Arrow Hitch

For anyone looking to totally ELIMINATE sway, I would stronly recommend that you look into the new Hensley Arrow Hitch.

I just installed one on my 1999 Classic 34' Front Kitchen and sway NO LONGER EXISTS. I have towed Airstreams for years and even with good friction sway control, I still got white knuckles when semi trucks would pass at high speeds. But with the Hensley it is virtually impossible for the trailer to sway.

Since the bars stay attached to the trailer, you can hook up much quicker and leveling the ride takes just seconds.

Plus, it is quiet! No popping, grinding, or screeching noises. If anyone is interested in more info, just go to www.hensleymfg.com where you can get the full scoop on how it works. Hensley claims it creates a towing experience which is SUPERIOR to 5th Wheel towing in both safety and manueverability. I have never towed a 5th Wheel, but I don't see how a 5th Wheel could tow any better than this. It is too good to be true.

Hensley will send you a free video if you contact them on line or by phone. It is not inexpensive, but as far as I'm concerned it is worth every penny in terms of safety and towing enjoyment especially if you are towing a larger unit. I have to believe that a Hensley hitch on an Airstream is the best of both worlds. It is incredible,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hensley arrow hitch.jpg
Views:	4359
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	560  
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 07:17 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Les,

Congratulations on your recent purchase. I also have a Hensley and I agree with you whole heartily. I purchased mine last year and I already have over 15,000 miles on it. As a matter of fact, we were in Sedona, Az around the end of July.

I'm a bit surprised you had "white knuckle driving" with a 3500 dually, but I know you will learn to appreciate your Hensley even more as you use it. I might suggest to order the spare parts kit, because I have lost or misplaced several parts already. Also, the people at Hensley are a wealth of information use them if you need help.

We tow our 30 foot 2001 airstream with a half ton 2001 GMC Suburban. I realize this is a little light on the power side and it was proven in our trip out west. I was very thankful for the Hensley when traveling the west, particularily through eastern Colorado on two lane highways. These roads have no shoulder, just a ditch about four feet below the road serface. Any sway or wag at all could have put the curb side wheels of the trailer off the pavement, and I'm sure you know the disaster that can happen in that situation.

We had a wonderful vacation in your part of the country, the entire rig worked flawlessly. The only misshap was due to my own stupidity. I didn't lock a window on the road side of the rig when we left Oklahoma. By the time we stopped for gas New Mexico, the entire window was gone. Only the hinge and some glass shards remained. Airstream was fabulous. They overnighted a replacement window to our campground in Santa fe and it was replaced in about 15 minutes. We now double check all the windows before we leave for the road.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:38 AM   #3
hex

Thumbs up Hensley Dreamer

I have recently recieved the Hensley video.
Hooray for hensley!
They win the Emmy for PR hands down.
Also for marketing.

One of my fantasies is to find a Hensley Arrow in a pawn shop for $200 bux or less.

Now what in the world is that shroud covering, on the tounge of the TT? Where are the gas bottles?
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 01:45 PM   #4

Question

Is a Hensley Hitch necessary for the 19ft Bambi or is it short enough not to be too concerned? I am a new owner (picking it up Saturday - maybe). I would appreciate knowing prior to picking it up.
Thanks,
Jubiloso
jubiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:15 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hensley on a Bambi

Like using a shotgun to kill an ant. No, the Hensley is not needed on a 19' Bambi. I use only a Reese sway bar on my 22' International and have weathered 60-70 mile gusts without a trace of sway. I doubt if even a sway bar is required on a Bambi.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 03:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
I have a 2001 Bambi, tow with a 99 Land Rover. Reese load distributing hitch with friction antisway bar. no sway yet
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
With a new 34 Limited and F250SD, I felt I couldn't afford NOT to have the Hensley. On all these Internet resources, I've never seen a Hensley owner tell someone they didn't need one... it's only those who don't own one. Think about that.

When I worked in the RV industry, I was young and quick to grab the brake controller if a trailer started to sway. These days, I'm old, slow, and 18 wheelers sneak up on me sometimes during "senior moments." The Hensley makes that a non-issue.

To the guy with the 19' Bambi... it depends on that Tacoma you have... if its up high on 31" tires (P265) and a short wheelbase standard cab, standard bed, it's a lot like my pre-Tacoma Toyota... didn't take much to sway it in the wind without a 9.5' tall, 4500 lb trailer, much less with one. I'd want SOME kind of sway control. Extended cab or long bed shouldn't be as bad, particularly with the shorter standard P225 tires.

IMHO from towing in rainy Florida, there's no such thing as a "good" friction sway control. They totally go away in the wet and are a PITA backing or turning tight when dry. If one works for you, then your trailer is most likely properly loaded with good ball height and you haven't needed it yet. Imagine doing a MotorWeek-like lane change to dodge a cow standing in the road just over the crest of a hill. Think your rig could do it without rolling? Or would you be better off hitting it head-on? I met one Hensley owner who did it and said it was like the trailer wasn't even there.

The cheaper alternative to a Hensley for a short, light trailer might be a Reese dual-cam hitch if you can fit it on the tongue around the LP tanks. The Pull-Rite also looks like a good solution.

Just my $.02 worth and some things to think about.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by jubiloso
Is a Hensley Hitch necessary for the 19ft Bambi or is it short enough not to be too concerned? I am a new owner (picking it up Saturday - maybe). I would appreciate knowing prior to picking it up.
Thanks,
Jubiloso
I know you've picked up the trailer by now and probably have selected a hitch, but I've been thinking more about this, and believe your 19' Bambi probably needs a Hensley or Pullrite more than a '34 Limited.

Your Bambi with a 730 lb load is at 4,500 lbs where a 34 is at 9,000 lbs with a 930 lb load. Pretty much double the weight.

Take 4' off the 19' for tongue and you have 15' of side wall length at the same height as the 34' Take 4' off the 34 and it has about twice the side wall area. So the square foot of "sail area" per pound is about the same, i.e. this would lead you to think the wind influence will be about the same on both. But other factors favor the larger trailer.

At the same height, the 19' is only 8' wide with a narrower track than the 8.5' wide 34, and the extra width given the same height provides more stabiliity.

While the 34' may be twice the cabin length and twice the weight, it has THREE times the number of tires, axles, and brakes, so at 9,000 lbs, each is only dealing with 2/3 the weight as those on the 4500 lb 19'. Plus they have 6 shock absorbers to damp the movement, where the 19' as I understand it, has none. I could be wrong about that but it would only have two.

If the 19' has a flat tire, one side is going down, handling will definitely be affected, and you're sure going to know it. The biggest problem with the 34' having a flat is that I WON'T have handling problems and know it (the load per tire on that side will only go up to about that of the Bambi), and I may drive for miles with a shredded tire tearing up the wheelwell and side of the trailer.

Now lets get back to one of the most important considerations easily overlooked, and that's the tow vehicle. I'm towing that 9,000+ lbs with a 7,200 lb, 158" wheelbase long, heavy truck. I never found out what the Tacoma listed in your profile was, but it's somewhere between 2,800 lbs and 103" wheelbase to 3,700 lbs and 122" wheelbase. Relative to the 4,500 lb trailer, anywhere from about the same to much lighter/shorter than my truck.

So perhaps the 19' is no smaller a problem than the 34' when viewed from this perspective, and perhaps even larger, especially considering the particular model of Tacoma.

Just some thoughts...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
Fzcist

1978 29' Ambassador
1994 30' Excella
Dellrose , Tennessee
Adjustable offset for Hensley

I have a Dodge 2500 Pickup with 4x4 to pull a trailer with a Hensley hitch. Of course they don't match in height? What is the general advice on where to find an adjustable connector to go from my truck to the level of the trailer?

Thanks

kennybob
kennybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Kennybob,
Stingers with different drops are available directly from Hensley.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybob
I have a Dodge 2500 Pickup with 4x4 to pull a trailer with a Hensley hitch. Of course they don't match in height? What is the general advice on where to find an adjustable connector to go from my truck to the level of the trailer?

Thanks

kennybob
I have the same tow vehicle - no aftermarket lift package - just stock suspension. Hensley does have stinger with a drop that works. give 'em a call and they'll hook you up.

--dave
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
So, today was supposed to be 50 degrees. What better time to install my new Hensley Arrow.

Amongst the problems I encountered is that my hitch system came with snap up brackets instead of the jacks that hensley used to supply. The owner's manual gives install info for the jacks, not the snap ups The snap up brackets are labeled to be removed before towing. I don't understand what they do or how they are installed or if they are necessary if you are just going to take them off to tow.

Does anyone have any experience with this that might offer some help?

Thanks,

Dave
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybob View Post

Thanks

kennybob
You can get am adjustable stinger from ProPride that fits the Hensley.

Better yet, get a ProPride insterad of the Hensley. About 20 years more development.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
S.E Lower Michigan , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
So, today was supposed to be 50 degrees. What better time to install my new Hensley Arrow.

Amongst the problems I encountered is that my hitch system came with snap up brackets instead of the jacks that hensley used to supply. The owner's manual gives install info for the jacks, not the snap ups The snap up brackets are labeled to be removed before towing. I don't understand what they do or how they are installed or if they are necessary if you are just going to take them off to tow.

Does anyone have any experience with this that might offer some help?

Thanks,

Dave
I think what you are referring to be removed are the bar supports that are used to hold the hitch head in position while hooking up. Without them, the hitch head will just drop down in front and you cannot back the stinger into it. The chains do not hold up the hitch head in postion like the normal jacks do. After you back the stinger into the hitch and hook up, then you remove those supports and draw up the bars with the snap-up brackets so the bars are supported by the chains. You cannot tow with those supports in place. Hope this helps. Barney
Barneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybob View Post

Thanks

kennybob
Hensley has several hitch bars to choose from straight to about 8" drop there is a free exchange program you pay shipping and deposit until they get the trade back. I have done it twice after trading trucks. Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If not original owner, then Hensley charges for the price of the stinger plus shipping. See instructions on their site as how to measure.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Better yet, get a ProPride insterad of the Hensley. About 20 years more development.
This statement is incorrect.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have a Hensley, but the ProPride is better by improved design. The statement is essentially correct.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Assume nothing. Go to the ProPride site and read the document on how the ProPride design came about. Pay attention to the dates.

Sort-of-a-Disclaimer: I use a ProPride. I like the design. Don't care if the design evolved over 20 years or 20 minutes.

I'm convinced it works better by actual experience and A/B comparison with a Husky brand standard WD hitch. I flat won't tow my setup without some form of a Hensley-designed hitch in the middle. Life is too short for white knuckles on the steering wheel, IMHO.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

2/28/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula View Post
I have the same tow vehicle - no aftermarket lift package - just stock suspension. Hensley does have stinger with a drop that works. give 'em a call and they'll hook you up.

--dave
3/05/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Assume nothing. Go to the ProPride site and read the document on how the ProPride design came about. Pay attention to the dates.

Sort-of-a-Disclaimer: I use a ProPride. I like the design. Don't care if the design evolved over 20 years or 20 minutes.

I'm convinced it works better by actual experience and A/B comparison with a Husky brand standard WD hitch. I flat won't tow my setup without some form of a Hensley-designed hitch in the middle. Life is too short for white knuckles on the steering wheel, IMHO.
Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
TWIMC

My Hensley Arrow has gotten so much better over the last 8 years.

3pee imposer...

Boob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote