Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would be interested to know what caused that.

It will have taken a hell of a force to bend those arms.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:37 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know with the PP, users are strongly warned to ensure their safety chains are centered between the WD bars and never over the bars. Not sure if HA has the same warning or if that happened in this case.

And as to the modification, anything like that should be checked with the manufacturer in advance, in my opinion.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:50 AM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A warranty is voided if any kind of mod is done on just about anything you buy. Whether it affects the performance of the device or not. Just the way it us. My local AS dealer will not modify in most cases. It's a liability thing.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:37 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Why did Can Am modify the Hensley hitch> I would feel that is a no no I have read on here that certain Canadian hitch installers could jury rig a jeep Cherokee to pull a 30 foot classic.

earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hensley Arrow Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
A warranty is voided if any kind of mod is done on just about anything you buy. Whether it affects the performance of the device or not. Just the way it us. My local AS dealer will not modify in most cases. It's a liability thing.

Usually yes but that's why I recommended calling first.

I was going to go with a PullRite hitch (until they told me they no longer make them past a certain year for my truck) but talked with my GM dealer about the exhaust mods that would have to be done to install it. They were going to review the installation procedures but felt it would not void the warranty. Similarly, when I wanted to switch my GYMs to Michelin (p-rated 15" tires), I talked with Airstream first to be sure my warranty wouldn't be voided.

I've never done business with CanAm so I don't know what their practices are but I would imagine a discussion with Hensley would be warranted in advance (as well as with auto manufacturers when the hitch mods impact the tow vehicle).

If the warranty would be voided, the customer could then decide whether it is or isn't worth doing.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #86
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrie46 View Post
---Drove across Canada and on to Vancouver Island have about 4600 miles on and it has failed. The connecting links bent.
Norrie,

Do you have any idea at what point in your trip the damage occurred?

When you were boarding or disembarking from the Vancouver Island ferry did you have any extreme ramp angles?

Ron
Ron Gratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Ya, I'd be on the horn with Can Am. If That "mod" was made to your Hensley by them.... without your permission, the buck stops at their door. Can't blame Hensley for not honoring warranty, same goes for most every engineered piece of equipment. Almost hard to believe that a big business like Can Am would've done that... with or without your permission. They are fully aware of what a Hensley is and what they cost.... ????

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #88
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I've never done business with CanAm so I don't know what their practices are but I would imagine a discussion with Hensley would be warranted in advance (as well as with auto manufacturers when the hitch mods impact the tow vehicle).
I agree that the modification should have been cleared with Hensley.

Norrie stated, "I appealed to Hensley as I did not know about the mod but that fell on deaf ears."
I'm surprised that CanAm would have made such a modification without getting approval from either Hensley or the hitch owner.

After seeing the photos of the modification, I'm also surprised that CanAm would have welded the strap directly to the bearing housing tubes.

Ron
Old 12-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
After seeing the photos of the modification, I'm also surprised that CanAm would have welded the strap directly to the bearing housing tubes.

Ron

Agreed! Not the greatest looking welds either (!) although I guess that is not too relevant!

I think almost any company would on principle be reluctant to honour warranty with such changes made to their product.

Some time ago, I read a recommendation on the forum to bevel the corners of the Hensley stinger as an aid to hooking up.

It seemed to me to be a reasonable thing to do, but before getting out my angle grinder, I thought I should check with Hensley.

Lucky I did I suppose as the reply was that if I were to do so, the stinger would no longer qualify for the free exchange program offered to original owners should they change tow vehicle and require a stinger with a different drop.

That seemed a bit petty to me for such a minor change and one that personally I felt could only be an improvement.

But in a way I could understand that it wasn't the extent of the modification, but a matter of principle for Hensley, and so I put my angle grinder away rather than plugging it in!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In October of 2013, I drove to CanAM to get the receiver reinforced on my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI. CanAm also modified my Hensley Arrow stinger by cutting about five inches off the tow vehicle receiver side and drilling a new locking pin hole. There is just enough clearance to get a 20" crescent wrench around the bolt heads for the over center locking mechanism. The Hensley wrench can not be used as there is not enough vertical space to get their wrench over the head of the nut. CanAm then put a slight downward bend in the 2x2 bar to preload the weight distribution system. It worked perfectly when towing the 2013 25FB International Serenity home new and empty.

The stringer was customized for my application. When we had to get the truck because the axle loads were over limit on the Mercedes when the trailer was loaded for camping and two people were in the car, I had to get another Hensley stinger since the truck receiver opening was at a different elevation.

Our Hensley was placed into storage when the 25FB was traded on a Classic. The Classic was fitted with the second generation Jim Hensley design called the ProPride.

The Hensley came out of storage and was installed on the 23D. We went past CanAm in the Mercedes on the way home from the east coast dealership and fine tuned the setup. They even had a remanufactured screw jack that they swapped out as mine was lacking enough internal friction that it would unwind going down the road.

So we still have the Hensley Arrow stinger for the truck if it becomes necessary to move it with that vehicle.

There are three sides to every story - yours, mine and the truth. There may be more information that we are lacking on this story.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #91
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
That seemed a bit petty to me for such a minor change and one that personally I felt could only be an improvement.
Brian,

The stinger of a pivot point projection hitch has to transmit a large amount of yaw-axis torque to the receiver in order to provide sway control.
It also has to transmit pitch-axis torque to provide load distribution.

When transmitting torque, the stinger acts as a cantilever beam applying lateral force close to the receiver opening and close to the front end of the stinger.

If you bevel the front end of the stinger, you decrease its effective length and that increases the stresses in the stinger.
Depending on how long the bevel is, you could cause a significant increase in stress.

The same principles apply to the rear end of the stinger which inserts into the front end of the hitch.

If I were participating in Hensley's exchange program, I would not want to receive a modified stinger.

Ron
Old 12-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Would CanAm not stand behind their work / mod and assist you with the necessary repairs? Just the shipping costs were horrendous!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Ron,

Yes, I do understand what is involved, but frankly did not think that a 1/8" bevel just to knock the sharp corner off the stinger would have any significant impact on its strength. If it does, then the stinger must be very marginally designed!

However it really is academic because I didn't make the change anyway once I spoke with Terry at Hensley.

I completely understood their position about not modifying their design and accepted it!

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
Brian,

The stinger of a pivot point projection hitch has to transmit a large amount of yaw-axis torque to the receiver in order to provide sway control.
It also has to transmit pitch-axis torque to provide load distribution.

When transmitting torque, the stinger acts as a cantilever beam applying lateral force close to the receiver opening and close to the front end of the stinger.

If you bevel the front end of the stinger, you decrease its effective length and that increases the stresses in the stinger.
Depending on how long the bevel is, you could cause a significant increase in stress.

The same principles apply to the rear end of the stinger which inserts into the front end of the hitch.

If I were participating in Hensley's exchange program, I would not want to receive a modified stinger.

Ron

2005 Classic 30'
Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
Can Am has been modifying the Hensley for a while. They had a few failures in the Springbar bushing area so they welded the bar around that area. They asked Hensley to increase the thickness of the bottom plate but Hensley would not change anything. That is probably why they lost the dealership to sell them.
The issue of the warranty being voided was a decision that Hensley made and they have every right to do so. I explained my whole situation to them but the never even offered to meet me halfway. What is galling is I got caught in the middle of someone else's argument unknown to me. if I had known what an unmodified hitch looked like when I bought it I would never have sanctioned work that would void the warranty.
To answer Big Al's comment I don't remember anything unusual on the road we traveled in the last month or so. Last year we were in Newfoundland and the main highway was a mess of dips and potholes yet nothing like this happened.
And yes to J Morgan. 5/8" plates that length don't bend easily.
Norrie
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Milton , Ontario
To Ron Graz. Ron the last ferry we were on was from Quadra Island back to Vancouver Island that was back in july. I was concerned about some of the ramp angles on the ferries but nothing severe has occurred yet.
First time I noticed the problem was when we arrived in Sidney just North of Victoria. I relalised the latch that engages the top section to keep the bottom section centered was not engaging because the front had bent down.

Norrie
Norrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The spring bar bushing area on my Hensley failed twice and that was preceded by a complete collapse of the strut assembly and spring bar bushing assembly as well as the bracket assembly and jack assembly attachment point..The hitch was beefed up after the initial failure. I really don't care why it failed. Failure is simply unacceptable. I really did enjoy the Hensley performance in its non failed state and was saddened to have to replace it with another brand. The hitch started to fail with about 60,000 kilometres on it. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When we got our ProPride, the stinger back edges where it leads into the hitch head box were machined very nicely but leaving sharp edges at the back. I had seen a suggestion on this forum that these might be more likely to catch in the box going into the head, and possibly scraping the head.

The suggestion was to take a hand file and slightly remove the sharp edge around the end. Virtually immeasurable, certainly not any effect on the length of the singer. I believe it is a reasonable thing to do, I think it helps, but someone may take the idea too far.

I have not seen anyone advocating taking an angle grinder and beveling the edge, effectively shortening the singer.

So if I was to call the manufacturer and ask for permission to hand file this edge to clean up the machine work, I would expect the manufacturer to say no. Not everyone's idea of filing is the same.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
When we got our ProPride, the stinger back edges where it leads into the hitch head box were machined very nicely but leaving sharp edges at the back. I had seen a suggestion on this forum that these might be more likely to catch in the box going into the head, and possibly scraping the head.

The suggestion was to take a hand file and slightly remove the sharp edge around the end. Virtually immeasurable, certainly not any effect on the length of the singer. I believe it is a reasonable thing to do, I think it helps, but someone may take the idea too far.

I have not seen anyone advocating taking an angle grinder and beveling the edge, effectively shortening the singer.

So if I was to call the manufacturer and ask for permission to hand file this edge to clean up the machine work, I would expect the manufacturer to say no. Not everyone's idea of filing is the same.

Again - calling first is a good idea. The dealer who installed my ProPride (someday, I hope to gain mechanical skills &#128533 had trouble fitting the 2.5" bar in to the TV receiver (I didn't want the 2" version with reducer sleeve). He lightly ground down the 4 corners the length of the bar and it fit perfectly. They never talked to Sean about anything to do with the installation including this grinding. When I talked with Sean later and explained what they did, he told me he would have recommended exactly that for the 2.5" receiver. Still wish they'd have called him first!
Old 12-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hi Ron,

Yes, I do understand what is involved, but frankly did not think that a 1/8" bevel just to knock the sharp corner off the stinger would have any significant impact on its strength.

Brian
You're correct...it doesn't have any effect...its not even remotely possible.

That said, it would have been useless. It would take a significant chamfer to improve initial insertion and if you relied on that, the stinger would force the head out of alignment as it continues to slide into the head and stop you cold. Does it sound like I may have attempted this?
RinconVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
You're correct...it doesn't have any effect...its not even remotely possible.

That said, it would have been useless. It would take a significant chamfer to improve initial insertion and if you relied on that, the stinger would force the head out of alignment as it continues to slide into the head and stop you cold. Does it sound like I may have attempted this?
Luckily I seem to have at last honed my "Hensley hitching skills" (with the aid of a couple of gadgets) that I can pretty much be assured of a good hitch first
try, single handed - in fact I prefer to do it without any help!

And it only took me a year or two to develop the method that works best for me!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'