Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Assume nothing. Go to the ProPride site and read the document on how the ProPride design came about
...and call Hensley Mfg., Inc. and get the other side of how the design came about. It is fair to debate the design differences and advantages in the two products (in another thread), but to infer that the PP design is an evolutionary improvement over the HA is just not correct. I own the current version of the HA and prefer its design over the PP.
Roadtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Unless you have driven w a Hensley, you are not familiar with it.

All you people stating PP is better, are making a bias opinion without any experience with the Hensley. I will not comment on PP because I have no experience with it, the rest of you people should do the same.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have unintentionally responded to really old questions a time or two, since then I try to make a point of reading the post dates.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

It is sort of remarkable that the first comment was n 2002, then trailed off until 2007, and now it's back in 2015. Sounds like a slow campfire conversation amongst retired folks.

I'm one of them, commenting with an off-topic comment on an off-topic comment made almost two months ago.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:40 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Hensley

I bought the Hensley due to the fact the stinger is welded and the pro pride is bolted together

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Hensley

I agree with you Earl, I prefer the solid stinger to the adjustable PP version however changing TV's could get costly on the shipping side. Thankfully I don't change TV's that often. My HAHA is 21 years old, came with the AS. I've put about 20,000 miles on it over the last few years and have not had any trouble with it until the jack shaft problem a couple of days ago (another thread) but now that its solved I love the Hensley that much more. I'm also grateful to the forum for helping me out.
Hensley Arrow
Hans Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #27
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hensley Jack Assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatooga11 View Post
So, today was supposed to be 50 degrees. What better time to install my new Hensley Arrow.

Amongst the problems I encountered is that my hitch system came with snap up brackets instead of the jacks that hensley used to supply. The owner's manual gives install info for the jacks, not the snap ups The snap up brackets are labeled to be removed before towing. I don't understand what they do or how they are installed or if they are necessary if you are just going to take them off to tow.

Does anyone have any experience with this that might offer some help?

Thanks,

Dave
I noticed this on Hensley's website also. Hensley offers the normal Hensley jack assemblies - the ones you raise with a wrench - or snap up brackets for the WD bars. The website says the snap up brackets are several hundred dollars less than the normal jack assemblies.

Sounds like you were provided the snap up brackets. But the standard jack assemblies are still available. Good luck!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #28
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Grim View Post
I agree with you Earl, I prefer the solid stinger to the adjustable PP version however changing TV's could get costly on the shipping side. Thankfully I don't change TV's that often. My HAHA is 21 years old, came with the AS. I've put about 20,000 miles on it over the last few years and have not had any trouble with it until the jack shaft problem a couple of days ago (another thread) but now that its solved I love the Hensley that much more. I'm also grateful to the forum for helping me out.
I agree with you Hans. I like the welded Hensley stingers. Last year when I changed tow vehicles, I switched from a 6 inch drop to a 2 inch drop. I had to change out the WD bars, too.

I guess there will be Hensley fans. And PP fans. And then everyone else, who thinks we're both crazy for spending so much on a hitch.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Peace of mind while towing is priceless.

I have a PP, but you get similar results from a Hensley.

I did not enjoy the white-knuckle ride I got from the Husky brand WD only hitch. To put it mildly.

I'm a bit too old to put up with high blood pressure caused by an E-ticket ride anymore... 😄

So the money got spent and the blood pressure went back down.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
These hitches totally change the characteristics of the combination.

They make driving a pleasure.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Old 04-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yes, so long as the usual caveats about using a certified scale to set it up -- as with any hitch -- for best performance are observed.

There are things I do not like about it, but the scales are tipped so heavily in its favor (this design type, not just this brand) that the objections almost don't register.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I just purchased a Hensley hitch (with the jacks) to replace an Eaz-Lift hitch. I have not yet done the installation but have a couple of questions. Is there any limitation with the Hensley on how tight turns can be? Can the hitch be damaged by turning too tight? Also, has anyone had problems with distributing weight? I thought I read somewhere that the Hensley is not great at weight distribution.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #33
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
turning limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanford View Post
Is there any limitation with the Hensley on how tight turns can be? Can the hitch be damaged by turning too tight?
Yes, there is a limit. Same as with all hitches - it is less than 90 degrees. To get a vision of what the limitation is, once you have the Hensley installed, place the stinger into the hitch on the trailer, without connecting to the TV. Turn the stinger all the way left or right until it can go no further. That is the physical limit of turning. If you turn beyond this, your TV comes in contact with the trailer - the dreaded jackknife.

As for WD, I've been able to get sufficient WD with the Hensley.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Hensley WD

I agree with RAH. Experiment a bit with the geometry of the hitch using the stinger. You'll quickly see how tight a turn the Hensley can acommodate, which may not be the same said for the AS or TV.
Depending on the size of your WD bars there's some more adjustment beyond the limit of the jacks by repositioning the lower interior shaft to which the WD bar end is attached.
Best of luck to you. You've got one of the best hitch solutions.
Hensley Arrow
Hans Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM   #35
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Hensley cost

Is there a significant difference in cost between PP and HA? Google pulls up the PP site and shows the price. When I search for a price on the Hensley the result is marketing information on the hitch and an offer to provide a quote. I kind of like to know the answers to questions before I ask the salesman. Your help is appreciated. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Hensley Arrow Hitch

I think Hensley has a "salesman based" pricing model....

It is my understanding that PP is quite a bit cheaper, my educated guess is about a third cheaper. (From what I gather a new Arrow is quite a bit north of 3K...

If I had bought new I would have likely bought a PP, on price, on the adjustable stinger, and on the fact that I don't need to start out negotiating with a salesman. I prefer "up front" pricing.

(My Hensley is a great hitch nonetheless.... But being on a budget I bought used, quite a bit cheaper than either one new)

Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Yep. Ditto on that. You get an up front price on PP and the right WD bar rating is a phone call to Sean. No BS.

One of the big reasons I went with PP over Hensley was the lack of 'flinch' pricing with PP. straight answers and NO sales BS. I did not like the way Hensley was sold and oversold to me.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
If not original owner, then Hensley charges for the price of the stinger plus shipping. See instructions on their site as how to measure.
Hensley wanted $260 to change from a 6" drop to a 2" drop on my second hand hitch. I took it to the local Pro welding shop and got it back next day for $60. Hensley's not the only one that can weld.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #39
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Some idea on HA price

That explains the absence of Hensley pricing. Thank you for the input. Really appreciate the info. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Also note that installing a Hensley requires holes in the A frame for bolts. No drilling with ProPride install. It just uses U-bolts. Easy to install, IMHO.