Old 12-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Hensley Arrow and Power Mover

Hello Every one:
We had a Power Mover electric dolly which we used with great success to park our 27' AS in a very narrow driveway. This Fall we bought a Hensley Arrow hitch in place of our Reese WD. Today we tried to move our AS with the new combination . Tough. We did not have much luck. The mover would collapse under when we tried to manouver to right or left. Any ideas out there? Has anyone have an experience with this set up? We need help .
Cheers

Old 12-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by danesh
Hello Every one:
We had a Power Mover electric dolly which we used with great success to park our 27' AS in a very narrow driveway. This Fall we bought a Hensley Arrow hitch in place of our Reese WD. Today we tried to move our AS with the new combination . Tough. We did not have much luck. The mover would collapse under when we tried to manouver to right or left. Any ideas out there? Has anyone have an experience with this set up? We need help .
Cheers
Just send the Hensley back! Replace it with your Reese. You don't need the Hensley anyway.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
When we were at the AS factory last spring, the fellow that moves the trailers in and out of the service bays had a very slick tool to move our trialer with the hensley. He made a standard receiver with a trailer ball reciever welded to the other end. Then placing a large screwdriver in the slot on the front of the Hensley he locked the hitch so it would not pivot. The trailer pivoted on the ball mounted to his tractor. His device worked so well that I purchased the parts to make one for my tractor. I use a small diesel tractor to move the boats and the as in and out of our barn.

I have found that the tractor does a fine job with the hensley pulling forward, however the hitch always seems to pivot in the wrong direction when backing the trailer. With only inches to spare on either side of our trailer and the doors to the barn, I can't have any movement in the hitch otherwise the trailer just goes the wrong direction.

For those of you who have never driven a trailer with a hensley should probably refrain from being so critical. Everyone has different comfort levels in their ability to tow a trailer. A hensley absolutely eliminates any and all trailer influence on the steering wheel of the tow vehicle. Some people are just more comfortable towing a trailer that doesn't influence the tow vehicle.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
attachment point?

Hi - I use a "powercaster" for my boat. What are you using as the attachment point for the powermover? I believe you can get different size sleeves to go between your jack and the internal hole of the powermover (powercaster?). Do you have a picture of the setup? On my boat, I purchased with the powercaster the extra frame attachment ... trailers just use the powerjack as the fulcrum (sp).
Marc
Old 12-20-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Critical?

I'm not being critical, but would like to point out that with the proper tow vehicle and the proper hitch set-up, the trailer will not influence the tow vehicle! People's comfort level or lack thereof is what heeps Hensley in business and allows them to charge like they do for their hitch. The original poster could possibly have used the money he spent on the Hensley for increasing the width of his driveway, perhaps eliminating the parking/storage problem.

The fellow was asking for suggestions as to how he could solve his parking problem and that was mine.

Bruce
Old 12-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybyam
I'm not being critical, but would like to point out that with the proper tow vehicle and the proper hitch set-up, the trailer will not influence the tow vehicle! People's comfort level or lack thereof is what heeps Hensley in business and allows them to charge like they do for their hitch. The original poster could possibly have used the money he spent on the Hensley for increasing the width of his driveway, perhaps eliminating the parking/storage problem.

The fellow was asking for suggestions as to how he could solve his parking problem and that was mine.

Bruce
Anything with mass attached to your tow vehicle will influence the tow vehicle. Throw in weight, wheel base, wind, defensive manuevers, speeding semis, etc and you have increasingly variable influences on your tow vehicle. That's why there's a boat load of different hitch options available to increase the margin of safety by decreasing "influence" up to what one is willing to pay.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Anything with mass attached to your tow vehicle will influence the tow vehicle. Throw in weight, wheel base, wind, defensive manuevers, speeding semis, etc and you have increasingly variable influences on your tow vehicle. That's why there's a boat load of different hitch options available to increase the margin of safety by decreasing "influence" up to what one is willing to pay.
A Hensley may increase ones "comfort" level, but in my humble opinion it does not increase the "margin of safety" relative to proper tow vehicle/equalizer hitch combination - assuming that the hitch is properly set up and adjusted. I pull my 30 foot Excella with a one-ton dodge diesel and I guarantee that the trailer moves the tow vehicle in no direction but forward (if going down hill) no matter wind, semi's or whatever.

Bruce
Old 12-21-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybyam
A Hensley may increase ones "comfort" level, but in my humble opinion it does not increase the "margin of safety" relative to proper tow vehicle/equalizer hitch combination - assuming that the hitch is properly set up and adjusted. I pull my 30 foot Excella with a one-ton dodge diesel and I guarantee that the trailer moves the tow vehicle in no direction but forward (if going down hill) no matter wind, semi's or whatever.

Bruce
You're awesome

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
You're awesome
Naw.................but my tow vehicle is!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:36 PM   #10
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
The only people I have heard complaining about the Hensley hitch have been people who have never towed anything with it. I have met a number of fellow Airstreamers, and even more other brand owners, with the hitch, who, like me, much prefer to use it, and believe that the large amount of money we all spent on the hitch is not a waste of money. Not one person with it has ever come up to me, with sad face, and said, "you too, huh?"

Of the many overturned trailers we have seen in our constant wanderings, none have had the orange attachment. That probably speaks for it'self - I purposely look to see how the wrecked trailer was attached, and have never seen a Hensley used. I have, however, seen one, on the vehicle that had to swerve Violently, with his Excella 1000, when a Large White Box with windows, slewed into the oncoming traffic, and roller 4 times, killing the tow vehicle occupants, and the driver of the pickup truck that was behind the swerving Airstream. I was parked in a rest area, above the road, and witnessed the entire wreck. I was amazed to see the Airstream lurch sideways, slewing to the right and bursting two out of three tires on one side, without throwing the Suburban towing it. That is the most amazing advert I have seen, for owning the $3000 Hensley Arrow hitch.

Theo
Old 01-31-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Theo,

Thanks for the testimony. I don't know why it is that the orange hunk on metal between the trailer and tow vehicle draws so much ire. The Pull-Rite hitch which eliminates sway in a completely different manner doesn't seem to draw the controversial comments.

But you are right Theo, the unit does speak for itself.

I found John Irwins comments the other day about the sway potential with a 30' classic very interesting. Maybe these larger trailers are somewhat more condusive to sway.

Mark