Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Hensley and ProPride Design

When reviewing the Hensley videos, it appears that the trailer can't "sway" the tow vehicle due to some sort of "lock" mechanism not just from the pivot projection advantages. Does the ProPride do this as well?

-Dwight
morgandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's not a lock, per se. It's a geometry and physics thing. And yes, PP works the same, but has IMO some distinct advantages, like an adjustable stinger and its yoke design doesn't take up as much real estate on the tongue if you have other items to mount, like a bike rack. Also, I don't recall any drilling of holes required for PP. BTW, I own a Hensley, ONLY because I found a really nice barely used one at a KILLER price.

If I were to buy new....no question, I'd go PP.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I agree with dznf0g. I have a Propride and love it. To me the Propride has several advantages over the Hensley. No drilling, Propride yoke, adjustable hitch bar, very good quality powder coating, lower cost to buy, super customer service before & after the sale. My experience has been that it is very easy to hook-up to the trailer by myself with the Propride. I have no experience with hooking up to a trailer with a Hensley hitch.

I spent several months researching the Hensley and Propride before I bought the Propride. Part of my research was talking to Sean at Propride and Terry at Hensley. Give both of them a call. It will be worth your effort if you are thinking about buying one of these two hitches.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
When reviewing the Hensley videos, it appears that the trailer can't "sway" the tow vehicle due to some sort of "lock" mechanism not just from the pivot projection advantages. Does the ProPride do this as well?

-Dwight
First of all: I tow with a ProPride and am very pleased with it. However any anti sway system can be overcome with the right circumstances and forces. A ProPride, Hensley, pull rite, or any other system will sway if a violent enough maneuver is preformed.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hampton Cove , Alabama
Our first Airstream. Seller has ProPride and wants to sell with trailer. Spoke to Sean Woodruff, the CEO today. seems like a worthwhile investment. Any negatives? We have a Ram pick-up with Cummins diesel. With PP hitch and 30 International I've been told we'll have to look to make sure trailer is still back there. Any comments or advice?
ajnjarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanandJan View Post
Our first Airstream. Seller has ProPride and wants to sell with trailer. Spoke to Sean Woodruff, the CEO today. seems like a worthwhile investment. Any negatives? We have a Ram pick-up with Cummins diesel. With PP hitch and 30 International I've been told we'll have to look to make sure trailer is still back there. Any comments or advice?
I'd say buy the ProPride with the trailer, you need a hitch anyway so at least $500 of the price is free.

The ProPride is $2500 new so cut $500 off for being used and $500 for the huge convenience to them of not having to remove it and deal with selling it separately. I wouldn't expect to have to pay them more then $1500 and would probably start by offering $1000 for it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
I have a ProPride and like it. There has been one publicly documented case of a weld failure in the hitch bar (stinger) leading to separation of the trailer from the tow vehicle. Time will tell whether that's an isolated incident or the beginning of a pattern.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Hensley has likely had similar failures and more of them. I wouldn't get excited over what a few on RV.net get their panties in a twist over. The failure rate of any and all WD hitch components is expected at some (low) level, as with any other device.

The advantages of this hitch type make it a no-brainer to buy.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I have the same type tow vehicle. Mine is a 2003 quad cab short box 4X4. Check my profile picture. I have a ProPride and am very satisfied with it. Definitely buy it with the trailer. I don't know the age of hitch or trailer so I won't hazard a guess about how much you should pay for the hitch. You will find that your truck will do an excellent job of towing that trailer. I tow ours all over the Rockies with no problem whatsoever.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I have a ProPride and like it. Hook up is a little different but not difficult. My thought is that 90% of the time it is overkill but when you need it you will be glad you have it. I would get one again. Very solid feel when towing.

BTW does anyone know if the PP stinger the same size as the Hensley?
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
I have a ProPride and like it. Hook up is a little different but not difficult. My thought is that 90% of the time it is overkill but when you need it you will be glad you have it. I would get one again. Very solid feel when towing.

BTW does anyone know if the PP stinger the same size as the Hensley?
The are both made of 2x2 steel but are not interchangeable because the details of the wedge and locking mechanism differ.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
WE LOVE OUR PRO-PRIDE! Phenomenal hitch. "The tail does not wag the dog"!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We love our Hensley!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
We love our Hensley!!!
Hensley makes auto stuff? My maiden name is Hensley. Something I never knew, lol.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Another VERY satisfied ProPride 3P user here. After a full year with my new trailer and about 7,500 miles -- including major cross wind travel -- I can tell you I would have NO other rig. Sean Woodruff is also a good reason to buy a PP.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
I pull a 30' Airstream with a Hensley and am a true believer in this type of hitch. I bought mine three years ago and we have pulled our trailer 10,000+ miles and not one issue. I wasn't aware of ProPride when I bought my Hensley but as you can see from the comments people love them as well. I think either hitch is good, I like my Hensley and haven't heard anything bad about the PP.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I tow with a ProPride. Yesterday, I towed I-10 from Balmorhea State Park to near Austin. There were red flag wind warnings and the big trucks were pretty much staying off the road. The wind was so high that when I opened the trailer door at a rest stop and tried to keep the door from slamming back, it literally pitched me out of the trailer. I was passed by only 3 big trucks the first hour and these were all tankers and other low side-area rigs. I literally could not feel the trailer except when the wind was directly behind me, it felt like the truck was being pushed by the trailer. When trucks did pass, I did not feel them until they were clear up by the cab of my truck. At no time did I have to correct more than a couple of degrees on the steering wheel.

It was a strange day. The red flag warnings were in the Van Horn area, yet when we left Balmorhea there was no wind. Even the wind farm near Fort Stockton did not have a vane turning. Then, as we neared Ozona, we were in high winds all the way to Junction.

Call me a convinced ProPride user.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
Pnr

Currently Looking...
Okc , Oklahoma
I really like my Hensley. Works as advertised.
Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I've been very happy with our Arrow. I posted a 46 month review over at my blog Hensley Arrow Hitch Review | Silver Travel
Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Boondockdad,
Enjoyed reading your blog, nice detailed report. I have also had similar experiences with the HAHA in the ease of use, towing confidence and of course worn parts. I purchased my hitch used so I am my own warranty station. The hitch has a lot of miles on it. This winter I am welding some pieces of steel to the inside and outside of the orange head where the strut bars attach. The metal was wearing thin and the holes were egg shaped. I will post some before and after pics when I get the job finished.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote