Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's a more-or-less imaginary problem ("linkage collapse") that might be seen in some instances. Adjusting the hitch properly on the one, and being mindful while pulling a trailer are the two ends of the equation. Another VPP hitch
"problem" that is a non-starter.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have never had the "bump" except when backing in an arc into my storage space. As soon as I reverse while turning, I get a loud bang as the linkage swings over. It scared me the first time, but it is a non-event.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The other examples cited are in going down a steep grade where the TT is trying to travel faster than the TV. Or, in using an exhaust brake on a turbocharged diesel while downgrade. Both are little different than in being ready to use the TT brake control override in potentially bad situations. Those include downgrades, wet roads, some traffic situations, and some situations involving very high winds. Situations where I'd hope one is already moving slowly (more so than what is necessary), and is primed to take action to keep the combination under control.

IOW, little different than with any other hitch type as to degree of concern. As the pluses outweigh the minuses (grossly) this is, as said, a non-starter since other hitch types present greater "challenges" to rig control (to say the least).

For someone genuinely interested in the differences between PP and HAHA, that old master of subject matter on these two hitches (and owner of each) was the originator of both hitch user threads, 2Airishuman. It's laid out in words and pictures.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My only occurrence was a 50 mph to 0 mph panic stop. I had heard of it before, so it wasn't a huge event...but a bit of a surprise. After getting a direclink brake controller (much smoother ramp up of apply), bleeding my brakes, and disassembling my Hensley (Used) and repacking and adjusting the bearings, I have had no further incident of the "bump". I am of the opinion that, although the Hensley utilizes wheel bearings in its pivots, they should be adjusted quite a bit tighter than one would with wheel bearings.

They have a large amount of levered pressure on them from the sides of the bearings and they don't spin with any appreciable speed like a wheel bearing, so virtually no free play is desirable, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerrun'r View Post
I've read not all, but several, posts on this thread and I didn't see anyone address the PP hitch's actions when heading down a 6% (or greater) slope. When I'm heading north on I-5 and coming down the "Grapevine", I sure wouldn't want any unexpected activity from my hitch!!

Any comments on this aspect?
We have driven that stretch of road many times as well as the I-5 corridor betwn Calif and Oregon- over the passes in Southern Oregon and Nothern Calif. The PP hitch is marvelous....downgrades are no problem at all, (but we have an exhaust brake on our Ram truck.)...but as for the hitch.....there is absolutely no unexpected or unintended activity from the trailer related or unrelated to the hitch.

The hitch is flawless! Thanks Sean!!!!