Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
My experience with the PP hitch and the company management has not been good. The hitch doesn't work and it sits useless in my garage. Can't send it back and can't get a response from management.
Can you describe the problem you are having? May be the folks that own the hitch on this forum can help you with your problem. I have had nothing but good service from the Propride company and the hitch works great.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #42
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
THANK YOU, everyone for all the kind words! We work every day diligently to make sure you get the very best product and service we can provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Terry at Hensley told me the PP was an original prototype of the Arrow. They had built and tested it, and found it lacking. He said one of the problems was with the jack assemblies, the higher attachment point created a longer moment arm, and was prone to failure.

Don't flame the messenger. I've never even seen a PP, in person.
Not flaming, but of course Terry told you that...

Just as a factual note... I hired Terry and ran the company for 10 years. I wonder why I didn't see all this testing and prototyping of the 3P design while I was there. As I told Terry in an email, many times, he becomes more and more comical as the years pass.

Quote:
My experience with the PP hitch and the company management has not been good. The hitch doesn't work and it sits useless in my garage. Can't send it back and can't get a response from management.
Just a note of advice... once I am threatened I am done with you. You can read account after account, in many different locations around the internet, about the effectiveness of the ProPride 3P hitch. Your statement that it doesn't work is false. You can send letters to Good Sam, you can call, you can send emails, you can... do whatever you like. BUT, as you can see just about anyplace you want to look, you are going to be lonely in your threats and demands. We bend over backwards, until we're looking forward again, and then I just can't help you and I have too many good people who appreciate everything we do that deserve the time.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #43
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Make me a deal I cannot refuse.....please!
I got second...

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #44

Currently Looking...
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
THANK YOU, everyone for all the kind words! We work every day diligently to make sure you get the very best product and service we can provide.

Just as a factual note... I hired Terry and ran the company for 10 years. I wonder why I didn't see all this testing and prototyping of the 3P design while I was there. As I told Terry in an email, many times, he becomes more and more comical as the years pass.

Just a note of advice... once I am threatened I am done with you. You can read account after account, in many different locations around the internet, about the effectiveness of the ProPride 3P hitch. Your statement that it doesn't work is false. You can send letters to Good Sam, you can call, you can send emails, you can... do whatever you like. BUT, as you can see just about anyplace you want to look, you are going to be lonely in your threats and demands. We bend over backwards, until we're looking forward again, and then I just can't help you and I have too many good people who appreciate everything we do that deserve the time.

-
Not sure who Sean is referring to nor do I care. I have no intention of using this forum or any other means for personal attacks or threats. Just expressing my experience.
slicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #45
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Not sure who Sean is referring to nor do I care. I have no intention of using this forum or any other means for personal attacks or threats. Just expressing my experience.
It's easy to figure out because there is only ONE of you...

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Personally, I find this impossible to believe, both about the hitch, and about Sean. I've been using a ProPride hitch for an estimated 65,000 miles, on three different trailers, with three different tow vehicles, and I have yet to have a problem on the road. I've even been thru one hair raising even where I believe the ProPride prevented me, and our friend behind us, also useing a ProPride, from having a major accident. (Check the ProPride site for my story.)

I have had one issue with a bent bar, that by the way is not manufacured by ProPride, and Sean took care of it right away at no cost to me.

Slicer, I simply do not believe you have given the ProPride, or Sean a fair shot with your towing issues.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
SLICER,
I will advice you allow Sean to help you figure out how best to maximize the use of your PP. He helped a lot of us when we didn't even have his signature PP then. Whatever type of hitch you call him on, he is ready to research it and help out without pushing his PP down your throat. That speaks volume and I hope you will reconsider Sean's offer to help set your system up and enjoy your investment. As you are already aware, PM usually works better than open forum ."Happy streamin"

FYI - No affiliation whatsoever with PP company or owner/s.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post

-
Thanks for clarifying.

A good product should stand on it's own, and I hope this guy spreading BS isn't indicative of the direction the Hensley company, as a whole, is taking.

Time will tell... but I'm grateful they have competition.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
What's the term for tossing a completely unsubstantiated grenade?

Three posts, to boot.

When I advocated for discussion to debate these hitches; it was with the intention one would provide at least some details.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #50
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Perhaps you are having difficulty expressing exactly, what the problem is you’re having with the hitch? I noticed, from your avatar, you are "currently looking”... maybe the problem is you need a trailer to hook the hitch onto?

Might explain why it’s sitting in the garage? Not sure ProPride can help you there...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #51
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am sitting here sniggering at the "doesn't work" comment. All of us who have been towing our Airstreams with the PP must be either stupid or delusional. Maybe my trailer has been following my TV using powers of magnetic attraction or a scifi tractor beam.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
ARTHUR , Illinois
Going downgrade

I've read not all, but several, posts on this thread and I didn't see anyone address the PP hitch's actions when heading down a 6% (or greater) slope. When I'm heading north on I-5 and coming down the "Grapevine", I sure wouldn't want any unexpected activity from my hitch!!

Any comments on this aspect?
beerrun'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I've not been on that particular stretch of road with our trailer, but I have towed with the ProPride for several years, and well over 50,000 miles, thru the mountains of Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah several times, and one Alaska trip, many passes over 11,000 ft., and have never had any "unexpected activity".

Can you explain exactly what you are calling "unexpected activity"?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
ARTHUR , Illinois
I'm looking at what little I can see of the dual parallel linkage and wondering if there's any chance of the trailer going 'over center' and ending up alongside the "stinger".
beerrun'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Don't know if there "any chance", but I can tell you in my experience it hasn't happened to me.

The tow vehicle controls the angle the hitch can go to, not the trailer.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerrun'r View Post
I'm looking at what little I can see of the dual parallel linkage and wondering if there's any chance of the trailer going 'over center' and ending up alongside the "stinger".

If the hitch is not set up quite right or there is a little too much slop in the bearing adjustment, you can get a little off center nudge.....it is known as the "Hensley bump". But it is geometrically impossible to come around the sides of the links.

If the hitch is set up properly and the trailer brake is adjusted properly, the Hensley bump can be eliminated. I only experienced it once, until I got everything set up right....and it is no big deal when it occurs.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's a more-or-less imaginary problem ("linkage collapse") that might be seen in some instances. Adjusting the hitch properly on the one, and being mindful while pulling a trailer are the two ends of the equation. Another VPP hitch
"problem" that is a non-starter.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #58
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have never had the "bump" except when backing in an arc into my storage space. As soon as I reverse while turning, I get a loud bang as the linkage swings over. It scared me the first time, but it is a non-event.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #59
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The other examples cited are in going down a steep grade where the TT is trying to travel faster than the TV. Or, in using an exhaust brake on a turbocharged diesel while downgrade. Both are little different than in being ready to use the TT brake control override in potentially bad situations. Those include downgrades, wet roads, some traffic situations, and some situations involving very high winds. Situations where I'd hope one is already moving slowly (more so than what is necessary), and is primed to take action to keep the combination under control.

IOW, little different than with any other hitch type as to degree of concern. As the pluses outweigh the minuses (grossly) this is, as said, a non-starter since other hitch types present greater "challenges" to rig control (to say the least).

For someone genuinely interested in the differences between PP and HAHA, that old master of subject matter on these two hitches (and owner of each) was the originator of both hitch user threads, 2Airishuman. It's laid out in words and pictures.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My only occurrence was a 50 mph to 0 mph panic stop. I had heard of it before, so it wasn't a huge event...but a bit of a surprise. After getting a direclink brake controller (much smoother ramp up of apply), bleeding my brakes, and disassembling my Hensley (Used) and repacking and adjusting the bearings, I have had no further incident of the "bump". I am of the opinion that, although the Hensley utilizes wheel bearings in its pivots, they should be adjusted quite a bit tighter than one would with wheel bearings.

They have a large amount of levered pressure on them from the sides of the bearings and they don't spin with any appreciable speed like a wheel bearing, so virtually no free play is desirable, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote