Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks to Pahaska for posting this. Very much a confidence builder to know that my PP3P can handle this kind of an extreme. I did some high wind stuff last summer (trust me, I didn't LOOK for this)....and was amazed at how solid my rig felt. Truly believe that buying this hitch was the smartest thing I did when I made the choice...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
I've been very happy with our Arrow. I posted a 46 month review over at my blog Hensley Arrow Hitch Review | Silver Travel
Thanks for sharing your great post!! I know we made the right choice with the Hensley! I have heard great things about ProPride also.
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Sounds like as long as we go with the Pro or Hensley we will be happy. We don't get many high winds around here, except for in the winter, so I'm not too worried about that. But anything to make it a little bit safer to pull is a plus.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Boondockdad,
Enjoyed reading your blog, nice detailed report. I have also had similar experiences with the HAHA in the ease of use, towing confidence and of course worn parts. I purchased my hitch used so I am my own warranty station. The hitch has a lot of miles on it. This winter I am welding some pieces of steel to the inside and outside of the orange head where the strut bars attach. The metal was wearing thin and the holes were egg shaped. I will post some before and after pics when I get the job finished.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Our Arrow had the same bend... there's just a little metal holding that strut bar bolt. It looked like ours bent when I folded the strut bar- it doesn't take any forces, otherwise. Dennis(? factory rep) looked at it, took a hammer, and knocked it flat. Hasn't been an issue, since.

Happy trails!
-Joe
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Bird View Post
Thanks for sharing your great post!! I know we made the right choice with the Hensley! I have heard great things about ProPride also.
You're welcome! Thanks for visiting!

I'm sure there is, or will be, a long term review on the PP.

See you down the road!
-Joe
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you keep the strut bars tight under compression (screwing the adjustments OUT or LENGTHENING the struts) rather than under tension (screwing IN or shrotening the struts) you get the same rigid effect required for the struts, but none of the wear on that thin area. It will still wear, but on the forward edge of the pin hole where there is a lot of meat.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The Hensley and the ProPride are products of the same inventor. Given that Hensley had about 18 years after the original patent to think about the design, it was a no-brainer for me to pick the ProPride.

As a retired inventor, I know how the passage of time brings up a lot of "Why didn't I do that in the first place." thoughts. The ProPride requires no holes in the a-frame and is easier to hitch up, especially at an angle. The adjustable stinger saved me a lot of trouble when my original calculations were off a bit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The Hensley and the ProPride are products of the same inventor. Given that Hensley had about 18 years after the original patent to think about the design, it was a no-brainer for me to pick the ProPride.

As a retired inventor, I know how the passage of time brings up a lot of "Why didn't I do that in the first place." thoughts. The ProPride requires no holes in the a-frame and is easier to hitch up, especially at an angle. The adjustable stinger saved me a lot of trouble when my original calculations were off a bit.
Terry at Hensley told me the PP was an original prototype of the Arrow. They had built and tested it, and found it lacking. He said one of the problems was with the jack assemblies, the higher attachment point created a longer moment arm, and was prone to failure.

Don't flame the messenger. I've never even seen a PP, in person.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Guys, there has been, I believe, a long history of mud slinging and bad feelings with the "divorce" of the folks involved in this invention. I think we should let failure reports on public forums speak for themselves.....not much either way.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Guys, there has been, I believe, a long history of mud slinging and bad feelings with the "divorce" of the folks involved in this invention. I think we should let failure reports on public forums speak for themselves.....not much either way.
Oh, I thought this was a thread about the PP and Arrow design

If you want to put a moderator hat on, how about providing a link to some of that 'discussion'?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I always put a great deal of weight on negative statements made by business people about their primary competition.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #32
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I always put a great deal of weight on negative statements made by business people about their primary competition.
Ken
Well said. My sentiments exactly.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #33
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
The pros and cons of the two hitches has gone on for years - both are very good products and do their jobs well...

Can you imagin, someone with a multiple personality disorder shopping for one of these...?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
The pros and cons of the two hitches has gone on for years - both are very good products and do their jobs well...

Can you imagin, someone with a multiple personality disorder shopping for one of these...?
Sometimes I think there may be some of those people here?

The good thing about Hensley and ProPride is that they are expensive enough that you better be happy with whichever you have.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Is it so wrong that I love my Hensley?

I can't help it, that's how god made me.

Actually, I'm going to start actively lobbying my representative for legislation to mandate that everyone must submit to using a PPP hitch.

Hensley Pride!
Pro Pride!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I have watched this thread (and others on this subject) for a while now. Sometime I will post about the reasons I changed from an Equalizer to a ProPride hitch as the process was an interesting one. For now let me say that after the first time I towed with my new ProPride hitch I knew I had made the right choice. All I will say for now is Wow!

The only bad advice I got from the dealer when we purchased new was on what hitch to buy!

I chose ProPride in the end as Sean was simply amazing. From no additional cost custom mounts (had to get around my modified battery box) to much question answering he was just the best.

The difference is simply amazing!

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #37

Currently Looking...
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
My experience with the PP hitch and the company management has not been good. The hitch doesn't work and it sits useless in my garage. Can't send it back and can't get a response from management.
slicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #38
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
My experience with the PP hitch and the company management has not been good. The hitch doesn't work and it sits useless in my garage. Can't send it back and can't get a response from management.
What do you mean, "It doesn't work?" This sounds like the problem is you, not the hitch.

I just towed about 500 miles in the gusty crosswinds last week and I could drive one-handed where our caravan leader, with many thousands of miles of towing, could hardly stay on the road with a conventional hitch. The PP paid for itself on that one trip.
WBCCI #9632
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I replaced our Equalizer hitch with a ProPride and could not be happier with both the help I received from the company with a difficult installation (resolved with custom jack brackets at no additional charge, thank you very much!) and with the resulting improvement in towing performance over the Equalizer.

I could not be happier!!!

Bruce
Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Make me a deal I cannot refuse.....please!