Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Ten Mile (near Knoxville) , Tennessee
Hensley 1000 lb. bars?

I was hoping I can tap into the experience and knowledge of you Henlsley owners. I bought a reconditioned unit back in December of 09' and I am just now in a position to do my installation......the typical hectic work schedule and the Gulf oil spill has kept me from getting this done and going camping. Well 9.5 months later things have settled down to a point where we can escape for some weekend family time.
My question is this: I have a 1976' 31' soveriegn with a dry weight aroiund 5k and tounge weight around 650lbs., everything I have learned so far from reading these forums is that 1k bars are way to much for this size unit. Hensley said this is what I needed and in all my conversations with them I was pretty much treated with the attitude that they were the experts and I really did not know what I was talking about nor knew what I needed.
Are things that different with the Hensley set-up as compared with a reese (or other similar) WD/sway control where the stiffer bars will not tear my trailer apart in time?
Do they offer 750 lb bars.............obviously I would rather talk with you guys/gals than the people I gave my money to.
I have gained a wealth of knowledge from every ones experinces on these forums and do appreciate your help.
Thank you in advance!
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore View Post
I was hoping I can tap into the experience and knowledge of you Henlsley owners. I bought a reconditioned unit back in December of 09' and I am just now in a position to do my installation......... I have a 1976' 31' soveriegn with a dry weight aroiund 5k and tounge weight around 650lbs., ...obviously I would rather talk with you guys/gals than the people I gave my money to.
I have gained a wealth of knowledge from every ones experinces on these forums and do appreciate your help.
Thank you in advance!
Since you already have the 1k bars, look at

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-in-17984.html

and give the stuff u have a try...the trick is to check the tow vehicles front weight with-and-without the trailer attached. THEN start crankin on the bars to reload the front tires...the Hensley hangs stuff further out the rear and may not fit the pre-hensley-was-used-on-airstreams-experts-experience-gathered-rule-of-thumb.

PLUS... I bet the dry weight you posted is the base unit without the factory installed options...u will love the way it tows...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There have been a dozen threads on this question.

I have the 1400 pound bars on my setup. My trailer typically weighs around 8000 pounds, loaded. I like my setup.

Others use lighter bars.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
You didn't post what you use for a tow vehicle so the "stiff bar" crowd can't comment.

If your DRY tongue weight is stated at 650# you will be pushing 900# when it is loaded and you add the orange steel to it.

In ALL my years selling this style of hitch I have never, not even once, heard of a customer's trailer being torn apart by using the spring bar capacity required for the loaded tongue weight. I would guess that sample includes 4,000-5,000 Airstreams.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The way I understand it is that the Reese Dual Cam system needs the properly weighted bars to make the anti-sway part of the system work properly. There has to be a certain amount of bend in the bars for the dual cam to work therefore you can get the hitch too stiff.
The HAHA system in infinitely adjustable. Adjust the bars to what the tow vehicle needs.
I purchased my HAHA used which has 1000 lb bars. This setup was once installed on a 22' Airstream (~400 lbs tw) on a lightly sprung vehicle - I just adjusted up what I needed and it road like a dream.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Ten Mile (near Knoxville) , Tennessee
OK that is what I was looking for............. I feel better now.

The TV will most of the time be an 10' K1500 Chevy Suburban, and occasionally be a 72' K20 GMC Suburban.

I have probably overthought this process and read so much about having over rated bars beating the trailer to death. She is 34 years old you know!

I really appreciate the input and will let you know how it all works out. As stated many times before these forums have been a wealth of information and support.
kmoore is offline   Reply With Quote