Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
encino , California
Help with a good receiver and hitch set up.

I just purchased my 06' 20ft flying cloud, so excited! taking her out on a 2k mile road trip tomorrow. I have an 08' 1500 5.3 silverado 4x4 with a tow package. I purchased a receiver at pep boys but the trailer is so close to the truck I cant open the tailgate. Is this common? I also just assumed I could pull this trailer safely with my truck without sway bars/ equalizers. Im having second thoughts after reading some of the threads. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks
resedaheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
A longer tow bar will solve the tailgate problem. In Re: the equalizer, going to a truck scale and getting weighed is the only way I know of to get a difinative answer. Sway bar(s) that's a good question. You won't know the answer 'till you need 'em :-)
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Extensions Adapters Fabrication | Reese Titan Hitch Extension | Drawtite | Reese | Tekonsha | Bulldog | Fulton

IMHO...Weight distribution and sway control are cheap insurance for your safety and considerable investment.

Happy Streams.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have a 2008 Tundra CrewMax, and we can't open the tailgate fully, either. It opens about halfway at a 45-degree angle. In six years of towing, we haven't had any problems with this setup, even though there have been several times I thought the truck and trailer were going to hit each other.

I took an old boat fender (bumper), cut one end off and put it over our electric tongue jack (held in place with a bungee cord), mainly to protect the motor assembly from UV, dust and water. However, it also serves as a rubber bumper to protect the tailgate when it's partially open. Old boat fenders can often be found at carport sales,and some local marine stores will give them to you or sell them real cheap (like $5). Taylor has a lifetime warranty on their fenders; and the marine stores take the old ones back in exchange for the new ones, then throw the old ones away.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
We have the Blue Ox Sway Pro. I feel really safe with it (especially when semi trucks zoom past). Blue Ox
asianmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have an 07 20' Safari and tow with a 06 Tundra, using an Equal-I-Zer hitch. I have set this trailer on the hitch without the weight distribution bars. There was a great deal of settling at the rear of the truck and the front raised and became lighter. I would not ever consider towing this trailer without a weight distribution hitch. Completely unsafe. Too heavy on the back of the truck, too light on the front, and no sway control.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The WD hitch has great benefits with this sized rig.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by resedaheat View Post
I just purchased my 06' 20ft flying cloud, so excited! taking her out on a 2k mile road trip tomorrow.
Congratulations and welcome to the forums.

Quote:
I have an 08' 1500 5.3 silverado 4x4 with a tow package. I purchased a receiver at pep boys but the trailer is so close to the truck I cant open the tailgate. Is this common?
Yes. You'll have to measure and see how much more room you need, and then you can see if an extended shank will help.

Quote:
I also just assumed I could pull this trailer safely with my truck without sway bars/ equalizers. Im having second thoughts after reading some of the threads. Any input would be appreciated.
I wouldn't tow a rig like that without a weight distributing hitch, though some people would. You can get a basic weight distributing hitch from etrailer.com and many other sources for around $300 including the shank and ball.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
encino , California
You all are awesome

thanks for all the replies, I think I will start with a w/d hitch and go from there. The learning curve is considerable at this stage just as it was for fly fishing at age 40.....If the a/s life works for me I will probably get a 2500 duramax because of the heavy miles I will be logging in. I will post some photos of my first trip later this week....again thanks to all!
resedaheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Resedaheat,
Linda and I were in your exact shoes this spring. We had a nice GMC 1500 V8 5.3. We went looking for our dream AS, and found it. It came with a Hensley Arrow hitch assembly from the previous owner. What a dream set up! While the old truck was good enough to get it home to Virginia from South Carolina, we knew right away we needed a bigger tow vehicle. Our previously owned 2500HD loves towing The Silver Otter. Over 8,000 miles on the pair so far, and we only took one trip. Welcome aboard. This is a great group.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
As long as we are talking GM hitch receiver's....http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...les-34603.html

POI....As of 2009 they were still a problem.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
resedaheat
Look on CRAIGS LIST. I found our Reese Straightline Dual Cam at a very reasonable price. I have a tailgate issue also but I dont let it bother me. I also have a flat bed that has a Diamond Plate toolbox on the tongue,NOW THAT WAS a Problem,seeing I knocked out one taillite with the corner of the box.I went to a longer drawbar. I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you buy a good hitch with sway control. You many not actually ever really need it(sway control) but its better to have it and not need,U know the rest of the saying Im sure.
The OLD STYLE REESE DUAL CAM combines weight distribution and sway control all in one unit. ONCE you have it adjusted you never have to bother it again because you always install it the same way every time. GOOD LUCK
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I may not be very experienced at this towing lark but I do know that the closer you have the hitch to the TV, the better the trailer will tow. So, if you can manage without the tailgate then it really will help.

I'm with Bob Cross on the WD and anti-sway. very cheap compared to your total investment but darned good insurance.

Actually, with my TV I couldn't tow without WD and sway control so I guess I'm biased.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help with a good receiver and hitch set up.

I second the advice to avoid adding an extended drawbar unless an absolute necessity. When I switched from my GMC G20 Conversion van (with rear door mounted spare) to my (then new) 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Chevrolet Club Cab pickup, it took me many months to figure out why the Airstream seemed "twichy" behind the pickup -- finally tried a standard length drawbar in my hitch and the trailer's manners improved significantly returning to near normal towing characteristics.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote