Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy Tow packages

Today, we have been on the phone several times about the set up on the pick up for towing. Now, they say they are going to put on a class V hitch??? I think a VI would do it?
Then I called the dealer (A/S dealer mind you) He seems to only be familiar with an E-q-lizer. I told him that I wanted a ReesDual Cam Anti Sway hitch on the trailer. (I probably have that all messed up? My point is that it seems like this guy has no idea about anti/sway loadleveling etc. I had called him about what class hitch and he said he would call me back but hasn't.
I must be doing something wrong? If I made my living selling A/S I would KNOW all about hitches etc.
Someone sent me a PM but I don't know how to respond. I may need some help when we pick this thing up a week from today Monday)
NOT COMFORTABLE - Carol
Old 09-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
If he suggested an Equal-i-zer for a new hitch install, he is making a sound recommendation IMHO.

The Equal-i-zer is on a par with the Dual Cam as far as sway control goes but is a much simpler hitch and a much cleaner design.

The only situation where I would see a DC as preferred is in upgrading a compatible load leveling system. Then it is only a $200 upgrade.

But starting from scratch, both the DC and the EQ are about $400 options and have equivalent performance. IMO the EQ has a number of advantages of the DC besides simplicity. It is easier to adjust and less prone to usage problems.

The other most common options are the Pullrite at about $2000 and the Hensley Arrow at about $3,000 - these provide superior handling but aren't really needed in most cases, especially for trailers under 30'
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:01 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

From everyone that I have spoken to, the Equalizer comes highly reccomeded. I am in the process of picking out all of this equipment like you and have been doing a lot of research. I can't say that I have used the product, but I have heard very good things about it from a number of others.
joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:19 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Ive heard of class I, II, III, and IV for towing travel trailers, and the class V is normally a 5th wheel or gooseneck type hitch. I Tow a 31' without any kind of weight distribution system on a class IV with my F-250. On the other hand we have to use weight distribution with the F-150 and a 29' so the tow vehicle makes a big difference. I have looked at the husky system and I like the way it hooks up and works.

I think that there may be a class V receiver, if so its probally 2 1/2" and the standard receiver are 2".
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 02:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Reese has a grid explaining the different classes of hitches at:

http://www.reesehitch.com/selection.html

I don't know about other states, but in California, it is illegal to tow more than 5000 lbs without a weight distributing hitch.

Clark
csimingt is offline   Reply With Quote