Old 04-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Help! New ProPride shifting problem

Hi!

Our new ProPride hitch keeps creaking and groaning and shifting. We have had it serviced twice now by two different dealerships, but the problem remains. I have also emailed Sean at ProPride and will share what he advises to do in case others are experiencing the same problem.

So, has anyone had this shifting problem and successfully solved it? Basically the two bars that run behind and perpendicular to the LP tank shift side to side and forwards/backwards despite being re-installed, reset, and the bolts tightened and retightened. We believe the shifting is what is causing the loud groaning and creaking and bumping felt when driving and especially when turning. It seems the more the bars shift, the louder and bumpier it gets.

The bolts seem as tight as can be when checked. Also, we noticed that the two U shaped bars underneath each of the two bases that hold the two perpendicular bars (behind the LP tank) to the trailer. Both of these U shaped bars are bowed on the bottom (not straight), but we do not know if this is normal or not. Also, there are gaps between the bottom of each plate that attaches the perpendicular bars to the trailer. Again, we do not know if this is normal, or if any of this is contributing to the problem. Apologies for not being familiar with proper names of these parts, and I hope this makes sense!

We have had the hitch re-installed, and on a separate occasion the bars were re-set. This will be our third attempt to fix the problem through the dealership.

So, if anyone has had this problem and has successfully resolved it, we would be so grateful to know how you did it. We would like to pass the information along to the dealership in hopes that it can help them help us get the issue resolved so we do not have to make yet another trip back to the dealership.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
I don't have any advise on how to fix this but will be interested in reading what others feel....

Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I seem to recall getting a shim from Sean so that my U bolts didn't bend. Other than that, I am at a loss for what to tell you. Our ProPride has never shifted in the least.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have not had a problem like this with my Propride. I have about 15,000 miles of towing with the Propride without any issues other than routine lubrication and checking bolt torque periodically.

I would think that very sharp angle backing-up maneuvers could possibly cause some shifting. But that is just a guess and not based on personal experience.

I feel confident that Sean will help you figure this one out. Please let us know the solution when you and Sean figure it out.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I had one of those bars shift the first time I towed. I readjusted it and tightened it more snugly and have not had a problem since.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think you are describing the flat vertical bars that connect the weight distribution jacks to the weight distribution (spring) bars?

If so they will normally shift when turning the vehicle because the w.d. bars move. I wonder if you don't have a couple other things going on, and nothing wrong with these vertical bars.

First, did they grease the w.d. bar holders in the head? If not they will creak and groan. There are grease zerks there to grease them, fill them until it oozes out.

Second, you may be be having a "Hensley bump". This is a bump felt when stopping or slowing the vehicle usually caused by too low a setting on the brake controller. The truck brakes are leading the trailer brakes too much.

But maybe you are writing about yoke support bar shifting side to side, that runs under the frame below the propane tanks?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thank you for these great tips! We will check everything suggested here and pass along to the dealership also. We'll be sure to post what Sean says and the resolution.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Rest assured Streaminlife - the ProPride is the best out there (I've used one on a 2009 25FB Classic, 2011 Classic & my current 2013 27FB Serenity). Between all the knowledge here from owners & Sean's great support well get you sorted.

If you get the chance - read the giant ProPride thread we have on here, lots of good info in there for ya!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Photos would help.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
We talked to Sean from ProPride today, and he is sending us new jacks (the vertical bars that run up and down behind the LP tank) with the shims that I believe Aviator you had mentioned in your reply. Also, Sean will be sending new U bolts since bowing is not normal and likely due to the shifting problem (sorry I do not have any pictures to post). The idea, I think, is that the shims will help to close the gap and prevent further bowing and shifting problems.

Sean also said the groaning and creaking are likely due to the heads not being greased properly or greased at all. So anyone who is installing their ProPride or having someone install for them, please take care that the grease zerks are filled just as Doug (dkottum) mentions here in this thread.

Once we get the new jacks (with shims) installed and the zerks greased, I will post again to let people know how the solutions are working out.

Also, we will make adjustments to the brake controller (thanks Doug!) and see if that helps with the "Hensley bump" issue. I am not sure my husband talked with Sean about this part yet, so we may be calling him again in the near future if we are still having issues.

In the meantime, we are waiting for AS to fix a rainwater leak in the FB area around the front window. So far they have not been able to figure out where the leak is coming from, but we have high hopes that they will get it all straightened out soon. Then we can go have some fun.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Thanks John. Apart from the current issues, we are extremely happy with the ProPride - no sway whatsoever. Sean from ProPride has been a hugely valuable resource. He seems to really know how to treat customers, and we are so appreciative for his help thus far. I have probably emailed him 8 or 10 times (before and after) we got our hitch, and he has always responded quickly and with practical answers to all my questions. Good customer service is a great thing and not always consistent between companies, so we are very thankful for Sean.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Rest assured Streaminlife - the ProPride is the best out there (I've used one on a 2009 25FB Classic, 2011 Classic & my current 2013 27FB Serenity). Between all the knowledge here from owners & Sean's great support well get you sorted.

If you get the chance - read the giant ProPride thread we have on here, lots of good info in there for ya!
Thanks John. Apart from the current issues, we are extremely happy with the ProPride - no sway whatsoever. Sean from ProPride has been a hugely valuable resource. He seems to really know how to treat customers, and we are so appreciative for his help thus far. I have probably emailed him 8 or 10 times (before and after) we got our hitch, and he has always responded quickly and with practical answers to all my questions. Good customer service is a great thing and not always consistent between companies, so we are very thankful for Sean.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I think all of us who have a ProPride would echo the great customer service from Sean. I've had my PP for a couple of years now and when I bought my new truck a coupled of months back he was happy to ship me a longer drop bar. Only fee was to ship my old one back to him. In a time when customer service is often an oxymoron, it's great to see how responsive he has been to each of us.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote