Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #81
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Thank you for the shout out, BAB. 24 hours is sort of my "unofficial" deadline. If I'm alive I answer within 24 hours.

Bob... nice wordsmithing!
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #82
Ganado

Peoria , Arizona
I realize this thread is an older thread and I'm going to add my 2cents.
Pro Pride vs Hensly not going there. I think that is personal preference. I went with ProPride, as to me it seems better engineered. Just my personal choice.

I look at the equalizer hitch and I think its fine IF you follow the instructions. The instructions say DO NOT BACK UP with this equilize. Duh who wants an extra step in setting up camp. you have to stop, unhook the Equalizer then back up. I'm too lazy to do that. I did not see this in the manuals for either the Hensley or the ProPride.
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hensley design hitches back just fine without any fiddling with the setup...I have a ProPride, and it responds to all of my dumb moves just fine, in a very predictable manner.

We won't talk about the water tap I cleaned off the side of the neighbors house with the front tire of the TV while pulling forward after dropping the trailer in his side yard...or the shower he missed while I was frantically repairing the damage. (John is a prince of a fellow...)

Also-after over 5,000 total miles of towing in 2013 with the ProPride, most of which was for 4-5 days straight on the road at a time, I never had a jack 'unwind'. This is a set and forget on my ProPride at least. (yes, I did get out the ruler and check every day--but mine don't move...) I have a nice reference line on the jack tube now...

Now that I got rid of the Husky brand hitch, I'm a happy 'sway maiden'...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Towing Vehicles and Hitches

I just ordered a 30 ft AS Classic
deciding between a Hensley and. Pro pride

Any advice

My TV is Chevy Silverado 3500 single rear wheel Diesel
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
After my research, I went with the Pro Pride for two reasons.
1. It has a 3" square receiver that tapers down to the 2" stinger bar opening which makes it easier to stab in
2. It bolts on and does not require drilling holes in my frame

I have pulled with it for at least 4 trips now and couldn't be more pleased with it

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
I have a 27' International and TV is a GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel with Allison transmission. With the Pro Pride, the truck doesn't seem to know that the AS is following right behind!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My experience exactly. The AS follows politely with no fuss in wind, passing trucks, whatever. Would be nice if the Taco was more powerful, but nobody makes a hitch that cures that.

It does make turns a little differently, but with practice I have been able to get around stuff that the Husky WD conventional hitch setup would not clear.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #88
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have a Hensley and am still irked that the PP came out only a few weeks later. The design improvements are worthwhile.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganado View Post
I realize this thread is an older thread and I'm going to add my 2cents.
Pro Pride vs Hensly not going there. I think that is personal preference. I went with ProPride, as to me it seems better engineered. Just my personal choice.

I look at the equalizer hitch and I think its fine IF you follow the instructions. The instructions say DO NOT BACK UP with this equilize. Duh who wants an extra step in setting up camp. you have to stop, unhook the Equalizer then back up. I'm too lazy to do that. I did not see this in the manuals for either the Hensley or the ProPride.
You can back up with the Equal-i-zer 4-point anti-sway hitch. You are thinking of the other type of anti-sway bar that attaches to a small ball beside the trailer ball on the truck end and a small ball on the trailer a-frame. You don't necessarily have to remove that style, but if backing into a tight turn, you must loosen it and let it have slack. The only time you back that tight is at a campground or at a storage facility.
All that aside, ProPride is still the best choice.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
I just ordered a 30 ft AS Classic
deciding between a Hensley and. Pro pride

Any advice

My TV is Chevy Silverado 3500 single rear wheel Diesel
Neither; You have a big truck with big springs back aft. You need a reese dual cam with an airsafe hitch (hitch with an airbag), Sean of Pro-pride sells the Reese as well.

The issue is you are going to have such a stiff rear end that all the shock is going to be transferred to the front of the trailer and you will pop rivets and shake the poor thing to pieces. Last I knew Pro-pride and Hensley didn't make a hitch that could attach to an airsafe hitch.

We had that set up with our trailer and 2500 and loved it! After we put on the new Reese and airsafe we couldn't feel the trailer at all. No longer were things shaken loose int he trailer when we got to the camping area!! Worth every penny (and will cost you about the same $$ as a PP or HA).
Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #91
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have had a Reese Dual Cam, then an Airsafe, now a Propride. I pull with a Silverado 2500HD diesel, also. I find no indication that the trailer takes any beating with the ProPride after several years and many thousand miles. Things stay in place in the trailer with the PPP as well as they did with the AirSafe. I think the extra length of the PPP (or Hensley) results in a sort of springyness that protects the trailer. I can jump on the tongue and see it flex, even with 1400# bars.

The AirSafe was a problem in that it was very inconvenient to remove from the truck. At 80+, I don't life that sort of weight easily. Some states prohibit carrying hitches when not towing.

Of all the hitches, I like my PPP the best, even though it takes some practice backing at first.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #92
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Another 500+ happy PPP miles.. thank you, Sean!!!

From Chicanes at 60MPH on I35, to Texas back roads... no problems... zero. Oh.. and when 'courteous' drivers act up, the AS follows like a hungry puppy.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote