Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
Robert, from reading your posts I've always thought you had plenty of common sense... you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Yes..... but my dingus is better than your dingus.

The operative word in this thread.....versus, starts off on the rong feets
Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
I should have listened to Sean last year BEFORE I bought the Hensley , and I wouldnt have to get rid of the one I have. Thats GOOD customer service . Kipper
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
North Georgetown , Ohio
My two cents

For those of you that never had a trailer take charge, believe me, you never forget it. 28 foot TT with a 3/4 ton Suburban out front with a standard hitch with weight bars. First summer towing was a breeze. Now the fall trip to Myrtle the second summer was something else. On I-77 a little north of Mineral Wells (170 yardstick), slow left hand curve, running the speed limit, it took over, used both lanes, saved it, wow. Just about into Charlestown a little north of the 79 split, again it took over, I used both lanes and both berms and somehow saved it, running under the speed limit this time. Drained the fresh water tank, moved stuff to the front of the trailer, I have no idea what caused them.

Had the Hensley shipped to Myrtle Beach Travel Park. I had rebuilt the Suburban’s motor and transmission the previous winter with more money under the hood than the cost of the hitch. The trip home was nothing like the trip down.

I had a few changes I just had to make to the Hensley, heim joints on the pipe jacks, tabs and pins to keep the weight jacks from unwinding, bought a back up camera I plug into the truck for power for hooking up, life is good. I just asked Genny our Jack Russell if she wants to go to the beach, she’s nuts about the idea.

Now, well we still slow down for those two left hand curves on I-77, wet palms. I have a number of sections on the Myrtle route that 70++ MPH is the norm, 220 south of Greensboro, just push down. I put a set of Goodyear’s on the TT so I don’t even think of tire issues back there. You’ll find semi’s that have witnessed a TT all over the road give you room then ask, on the CB, how come you ain’t all over the road, so I let them catch up to have a look.

The biggest problem and I not telling a story, remembering the trailer is back there, cause it don’t tell you it is. Only thing I spent money that is rated above the Hensley, my Heatmor outdoor boiler. It’s just came up from the single digits here, the house is a little over 75 and the gas meter isn’t moving.

I vote Hensley, but not out of the box.
Mike44665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #64
1991 Excella 29' Polished

1991 29' Excella
Odessa , Ukraine
I am buying my first Airstream - the 27FB 2008 for towing with Touareg 2 V8. Two trailers are available in my price range - one with Hensley Hitch and another is without. Would the 3 years old Hensley Hitch still be 100% reliable or would I be better off by buying a trailer without a used hitch attached and then buy separately a new Hensley Hitch or ProPride P3 ? How much premium shall I consider to pay for 3 years old used Hensley Hitch ? Around $750 ?
Any comments will be very much appreciated !
Timofeevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #65
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Timo,

I wouldn't necessarily rule out one AS just because of the haha. The one with the haha could have a $750 problem that is not apparent at purchase.
A $750-1000 premium for the haha or ppp is about right all other considerations being equal.

Your TV would indicate a consultation with Can-Am Airstream in London Ont. would be in order.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Used Hensley Hitch on Craigslist

Hi Experts!
Hi Bob!

Well, here I am asking about the Hensley Hitch - been thinking about this since being on the AS Forum and reading about all the things a newbie reads about.....hitches, towing, etc.

Here is the ad on Craigslist:

Hensley Arrow Hitch in good condition for only $950.00 obo. If you have a trailer that sways when pulled this hitch will stop the swaying and relieve you of the white knuckle driving. We pulled a 29 foot camper that we felt swayed so we purchased this hitch and it was like night and day.... no more swaying. This hitch will tow a 14,000 pound trailer and a tongue weight of 1,400 ponds. Everything is included as shown in the pictures. The manual is also included that is not in the pictures. New, this hitch was $2,995.00. Re-manufactured ones are $1,995.00. The Model of this hitch is ATS and the Serial number is: 05684.

Any comments? Ultimately, I would love to pull my new (old) AS with my 2006 Lincoln Navigator......With the upgrades to the trailer, I'm not sure of the exact weight - on the to-do list is take it to a truck stop and weigh it.
Cool if I could get a Hensley a bit cheaper since I 'shot my money wad' on the trailer and tow vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Hensley hitch.bmp (166.2 KB, 149 views)
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Hi Liz,

You can contact Hensley, give them the sr# & get the yr of mfg.

It does look to be in pretty good condition. But you will probably need a different drop bar for your receiver=$$$$

Now to be perfectly honest, your $ could possibly be better spent.

Do you have a WD hitch that came with your trailer? Brand & condition?

Don't recall...but how much have you towed so far? How much do you estimate you will travel per Season, more=better return on investment.

Your situation reminds me of when we got our first Airstream....are you familiar with "cart before the horse". I was all over the map with things I wanted to do.

Not meaning to throw you a wet blanket, but IMHO, a big dollar hitch upgrade
may not be the best way for you to go right now.

On the plus side....the haha/3p option IS the best out there!!!

Bob
Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Bob,
It came with a Reese Distribution hitch but to be honest, I don't think it looks like it is working the way I imagine it to - it has chains and a sort of saddle that this thing sits in - when we back up, it disengages a little from the 'saddle' and when we hook up, it doesn't sit in the middle of it......
It's hard to estimate how much we will use it per season.....depends on time off and where.......can't really predict that right now.
I can't say that I'll be traveling thousands of miles although I have put over 3,000 on it, 2800 of that was the trip to bring it home.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Hatboro , Pennsylvania
I have the Hensley and love it , if I had to do it all over I would go with the Propride for a few reasons , but I bought a new truck and needed a differant off set on the drawbar , sure its free under the exchange program but it cost 60.00 in shipping both ways . With the propride you can make the adjustments and your set .
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Hensley hookup

I removed my Hensley arrow from my 28' Safari while trying to sell the trailer. I used the Hensley with a Navigator and GMC 2500 HD over 7 years. The towing experience was outstanding (other than the 'bump'). I'm keeping the trailer and planning to outfit a new tow vehicle. We found the Hensley tricky to hitch and downright annoying to UN hitch. We had to remove the pin from the hitch receiver and it was 50/50 which would pull out first; the receiver or the Hensley. It was very sensitive to jack height when disconnecting or how level the site was. Also, the spring bar tension jacks always unwind during the day and had to be retensioned. Henlsey said this was normal. Very annoying. So, did the folks at Pro Pride solve these issues? I'm a believer in the technology but won't use the Hensley again. (Any offers?).
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp709 View Post
I removed my Hensley arrow from my 28' Safari while trying to sell the trailer. I used the Hensley with a Navigator and GMC 2500 HD over 7 years. The towing experience was outstanding (other than the 'bump'). I'm keeping the trailer and planning to outfit a new tow vehicle. We found the Hensley tricky to hitch and downright annoying to UN hitch. We had to remove the pin from the hitch receiver and it was 50/50 which would pull out first; the receiver or the Hensley. It was very sensitive to jack height when disconnecting or how level the site was. Also, the spring bar tension jacks always unwind during the day and had to be retensioned. Henlsey said this was normal. Very annoying. So, did the folks at Pro Pride solve these issues? I'm a believer in the technology but won't use the Hensley again. (Any offers?).
I've used the ProPride for a year now with one long trip to Alaska last summer. One time in Montana, when our camp site in an RV park had the TV at an up angle when I unhitched, caused the hitch-up to be a little difficult because I could not get the angle right. One other time, I had one of the jacks come a little loose and tilt over, but it did not cause a problem. Sean had come out with a shim that eliminates that problem now.

The towing experience, the way the rig drives and rides, is the best I have ever expereinced, and I've been towing travel trailers off and on since the 70's. I would NOT go back to the Reese Dual Cam I had before this hitch, even if they were giving them away. But, some will say I'm just opinionated.........
Old 08-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #72
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
All your concerns are a non-issue if the install is done according to the manual....ask me how I know.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:

Initially, I had some problems in unhitching - hard to know what height to put the tongue jack at so that no load was on the stinger causing it to be difficult to remove.

Hensley gave me the answer when I questioned them on this. If you watch closely where the hitch goes into your TV receiver, you can actually see slight movement as you operate the tongue jack, just at the point where the stinger comes loose. You can even put your thumb on the drawbar just where it enters the receiver and feel the relative motion at the point the stinger comes loose.

Seems to work just fine.

So far, I haven't really had a problem with jack screws coming loose - but if it starts to happen, I will just make a simple locking device that will drop over the hex head on top, and it will have a wing bolt that will enter the small hole in the side of the jack screw this preventing the jack screw from unwinding.

I will agree that we have had a learning curve with the Hensley, but I think we are over it now! I'm not sure if the Pro Pride would be different in this respect or not.

The best thing I did was to make up one of the dummy wooden hitch bars that stick into the Hensley to help line up the angles of the stinger and the Hensley.

I have found that if I take my time to match up the angles properly rather than rush things, it makes hooking up a piece of cake! If I don't it can be frustrating.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #74
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
......So far, I haven't really had a problem with jack screws coming loose - but if it starts to happen, I will just make a simple locking device that will drop over the hex head on top, and it will have a wing bolt that will enter the small hole in the side of the jack screw this preventing the jack screw from unwinding.

Brian.
Brian,

I had forgotten about the "self inflected" problem I caused with the jack scews,(when I disassembled them at install to spray with bedliner), I lubed the threads, my bad, didn't pay enough attention to the manual.

This was my on-the-road solution. The metal tire valve cap, riveted to the band clamp, seats in the jack hex lock screw when clamp tightened.

Have since cleaned lube from jack screws and problem has not re-occured.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07664.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	137414  
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Bob,

An ingenious on the road solution! Us RV'ers always have to be inventive!

I had thought about just taking a short piece of square tube, maybe an inch long, that would drop over the hex head and be sized to prevent it from turning.

Then, to the square tube, I would weld a small ninety degree bracket to come down the side of the tube just far enough to reach the access hole.

At that point I would drill the bracket and weld a nut onto it so that a wing bolt could be screwed in and tightened into the hole preventing the gadget from turning - just as you did really!

I think I'll make a set up just for fun and to have on hand in case I need them at some point!

Incidentally, I have squirted lube into that side hole - I guess I didn't read the manual either, just figured it would be a good thing to do - so I suppose mine might start to unwind soon too!

Brian

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #76
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
When I ran Hensley Mfg I had a full-time guy answering hitching and unhitching calls (many of you may remember him, Jarrod).

With over 3200 hitches on the road I have had only 4 or 5 calls about the 3P hitch.

The easier hitching has been the single most commented on feature from customers who formerly owned the Arrow and now own the 3P.

1. The greater angles around the hitch box help. 14 degree angles rather than 12 degree angles.

2. The section of the hitch bar inserting into the hitch box is also shorter so there isn't as much length to get jammed against the hitch box side wall. A smaller opening, less angle and longer bar with the Arrow requires a much more precise lining up of the bar and the hitch box.

You can think of it his way...

Backing a 25' Airstream into a spot that narrows from 12' to 8' in the last 4 feet of travel...

Is A LOT easier than...

Backing a 34' Airstream into a spot that narrows from 10' to 8' in the last 6 feet of travel.

3. The 3P hitch boxes have all four sides that are laser cut and matched together perfectly in the corners. This leaves no uneven corners to hang up the hitch bar.

4. Our hitch bar wedges are A LOT more finished than the rectangular pieces of steel welded to the Arrow bars with weld filling the corners. You can see that if some of 2airs' photos in the pp thread.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #77
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
.....I think I'll make a set up just for fun and to have on hand in case I need them at some point! Brian
Excellent idea, you can never have enough "stuff" in the tool kit!!!

Bob
Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Hatboro , Pennsylvania
I had the same problem with my Hensley , I used LOCTITE blue , keeps it tight , i can undo it and lasts on my jacks threads for about a season of towing .
Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #79
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Great Forum!

I'm awaiting delivery of a brand new 28' International and have used this forum extensively regarding the best tow set-up. My motto has always been to not repeat the same mistake someone else has already made! So, this business of hauling around 7,300 pounds (plus) was critical. After reading every single comment from everyone, I decided on the ProPride3P. I made this decision on a SATURDAY, sent Sean an email for guidance on the best model. He answered me on the next day (less than 24 hours!). So, this sent a pretty strong signal about customer service. He also said that I could easily install it myself, though I'm gonna let ODM do it...though I'll be watching the whole process. So, thanks to all of you for the pros and cons. Expect I'll be a bit more comfortable with a crosswind or a 53' semi induced blast of wind.
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #80
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up A Life without sway.....

BAB,

You won't be sorry.... you can now forever remain a "sway maiden" and serenely enjoy the rapture of towing without the worry of becoming the jaded paramour of an unruly Airstream.

Bob