Old 09-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Probably difficult to get a dealer recommendation for the ProPride because there is no margin for them, one price to all customers. There is also more installation time for them; but for the user once it's on, it stays on. All you ever handle is the stinger for the tow vehicle. Hensley may allow a margin for dealers, perhaps accounting for the $500 higher price, but I'm speculating about it.

That's quite a dealer fib about the popped rivets because of the stiffness of the Hensley, because the w.d. bars are one of the more flexible designs. But a dealer did tell us we had to leave our truck with the trailer for servicing if we got a Hensley/ProPride, because of the unique stinger. I said why not just leave the stinger and he said well I suppose you could.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
X2 on dealer sales speak

When I bought my H/A in 2007 (the PP wasn't out just yet) the installing Airstream dealer told me that there was no margin on the H/A.

Even the best hitch is cheap. I've no idea why anyone would recommend lesser hitch performance as being a good cost savings given the value of the two vehicles and items/persons aboard.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
From 2005 to 2013 I never had a problem with a Reese dual cam ... until the day I rolled the truck and the Airstream.

Got a new to me Eddie Bauer that CAME WITH a Hensley. I CAN feel the difference. I'm humble enough to know that:
  • slowing down
  • regularly weighing the trailer/truck combo
  • avoiding acute cranial-rectal inversion while driving
  • AND having the most idiot proof safety equipment
all contribute to a happier driving experience!

Keeping the shiny side up from now on, Paula
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Even the best hitch is cheap. I've no idea why anyone would recommend lesser hitch performance as being a good cost savings given the value of the two vehicles and items/persons aboard.

Quoted for truth.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ottawa , Ontario
We're towing a 30' white box with a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. We started with the Equal-i-zer, but it never performed as well as I expected. I purchased and installed the ProPride in the spring of 2009 and we've been very happy with it.

Here's my installation write up if you're interested.

Mods - Propride 3P 1400 Hitch
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and opinions. I have decided to spend the money and go with the ProPride. I know I will just feel more confident and safer with the upgrade.

Thanks again, Annie
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Please use the PP thread and read up on how to set WD properly (past installation). Every rig, no matter the hitch, needs to be dialled in for best performance. Several owners give examples of using weight scales to this end.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemaine View Post
Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and opinions. I have decided to spend the money and go with the ProPride. I know I will just feel more confident and safer with the upgrade.

Thanks again, Annie
When you order your ProPride, you will probably talk to Sean Woodruff, the owner. There are different size weight distribution bars available for this hitch. Tell him what trailer and tow truck you have and he will recommend the proper size bars. Trust him, he's been producing these hitches as well as working for the rival company Hensley for many years and knows what he doing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:

Thanks again, Annie
You might also want to read this thread in case you change TV ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...es-107012.html
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
I was advised by Colonial AS when considering a 25' Int'l that a Propride or Hensley was over-kill. I later bought a 2011 27' Int'l which came with a Reese (w/sway control bars). My first time towing from NJ to Maine went well, with no swaying or towing issues (TV is 2011 Tundra v8 5.7L w/towing package) .

But because I'm completely new to AS and towing, and have a minute or so of experience, I'm still unsure. I want to be as safe as possible, I also want a hitch system that has some redundant safety, in case I make a newbie mistake...I won't see my AS fading from view in my side mirrors as I'm heading down the road!

So I'm again asking for your wisdom to help guide me. I'm on the road late October traveling to Austin. Do I see how the Reese does or should I appease my nervous Nelly, who says I could run into conditions I couldn't handle, and upgrade to a Pro or Hensley? What do you think?

Thanks AD
The best advice I could give anyone is never ever for the driver to push the rig past the drivers ability to safely handle the rig. Going to fast per the road and weather conditions is most likely the cause of most accidents. Yes some mechanical failures do cause some accidents. In the movie Cars there is a line that goes " years ago people hit the road to have a good time, not to make good time". I have been passed by R.V.er's towing at 65 to 80 mph. If we all slow down to say 55 to 60 it is much easer to enjoy the view and arrive refreshed.
Now with all that said, I prefer the Andersen hitch with a quick-bite coupler and a F-250 V10 tow vehicle.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Cary , North Carolina
For what it's worth, I'm a newbie too and here's my experience:
Bought a 2000 Airstream Excella 30ft, used Hensley, pulled by my F150.

First two trips Hensley worked great, no sway.

Parked at an awkward angle at a campground, then unhitched.
Three days later, hitched back up, drive out of site, several large popping sounds. Check the Hensley, one of the sway bars had unscrewed itself, disconnected, fallen to the ground. Other sway bar completely crushed.

I can't believe that that a $3,000 hitch could fail so dramatically. Yes, yes, I know, it's the users fault, should have checked and made sure the bar was still was tight, etc., etc., blah blah blah. I'm an idiot, go ahead and laugh...

Ya know what thought, I'm not digging it that that piece just would come apart like that so easily - and then cause $100's of dollars of damage to the hitch.

I'm looking for something simpler, more "fail safe", less complicated. I'm looking for something that doesn't take two people 15-20 minutes just to hitch up. Anderson ? Equalizer ?
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
For Uncomplicated Hitching and Unhitching

Quote:
Originally Posted by windvale View Post
I'm looking for something simpler, more "fail safe", less complicated. I'm looking for something that doesn't take two people 15-20 minutes just to hitch up. Anderson ? Equalizer ?
Having towed various travel trailers and four Airstreams since 1976 all over the U.S. and back and forth across the U.S. three times, I have been pleased with both the Reese Dual-Cam Sway Control and the Equalizer brand weight distribution hitches.

I believe that it is critical that the owner understand his or her hitch, how it functions, and how to set it up properly, no matter what brand of hitch they may choose.

I want a hitch that I can hitch and unhitch quickly and efficiently. I will not bad mouth the Hensley or the Propride, but I know owners who never unhitch because they find hitching up so challenging with the "stinger" type hitch.

My current Airstream came with an Equalizer, which I was going to replace immediately with a Reese Dual Cam. But I liked the equalizer so much, I kept it.
We've towed this Airstream with this Equalizer all over NM and AZ including Albuquerque to Mesa and back three times. I have been very favorably impressed.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
My current Airstream came with an Equalizer, which I was going to replace immediately with a Reese Dual Cam. But I liked the equalizer so much, I kept it.
We've towed this Airstream with this Equalizer all over NM and AZ including Albuquerque to Mesa and back three times. I have been very favorably impressed.
Excellent feedback Alumaholic ! Many thanks !

The Equalizer does look pretty good in those YouTube video's they got out there. Looks simple and relatively straightforward. I'm probably going to check one out.

Anyone have any experience with an Anderson pulling a 30ft Airstream ?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I pull a 2001 Excella 30'er. I had an older weight dist. hitch that came with the trailer when we got it from a friend. I think it was a Reese but not sure. It towed fine and we put 8-10 k miles on it. My only complaint was that the bars were heavy and inserted into their sockets from the bottom and had a tendency to fall out on washboard roads. It happened to me 2x in one trip and to my friend also. Our former trailer ( also 30') had an even older hitch with the trunion type bars. Never had any issue with them. Now with this one I went to the Anderson. I like it and plan to do the quickbite coupler conversion soon. It still has the troublesome original coupler that has worked fine for me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote