Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2004, 07:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Red face Groaning Sound from Sway Bars

We have a new reese hitch w/sway bars that moan and groan everytime we make a slight turn. We disturb the peace when arriving in a campground

Any ideas on what is causing this? We thought it was hitch at first, but after alot of white grease, the groans continue. Coming down our road I drove (swerving left to right) while Reid walked alongside looking for the source. It is definitely coming from the sway bars.

Your comments are appreciated.

Jen & Reid
Jenturnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:47 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Jen & Reid, that is the sway bars doing their job. You have metal to metal friction going on which is creating the noise. Be careful what components you lubricate and with what since you could negate the friction necessary to control your sway.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Smile

Is their no way to get rid of the noise? We know not to lubricate the
sway bars - but the noise is awful.

Thanks for the reply.

Jenni
Jenturnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Are you using a dual sway bar set up ? search for sway control and you should find there is a self contained hydraulic unit available. I found that my wd bars where generating a lot of noise as the chain moved/popped?. used dry graphite lube and that helped on the wd bars. wanted better sway control and ended up going to hensley , very exspensive but it really does work. Of course the sales dvd is over the top but stil a good product. try driving slo and walk along side with the sway control off and you may find alot of the noise may be the wd bars.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:27 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here is what Reese says about lube, from their website www.reeseproducts.com

What kind of maintenance do I need to do to the weight distributing hitch
WDH and sway controls?

Lubricate the ballmount sockets and spring bar trunnions to prevent rapid wear. When hooking-up, place one drop of oil on the top and a second drop on forward side of upper trunnion. Place a third drop on the rear side of lower trunnion before inserting trunnion into ballmount. Use a heavy oil such as "REESE ON THE BALL". Don't forget to lubricate the hitch ball with one or two drops also. Trunnion should be lubricated each towing day. It is not necessary to unhook the spring bars however, as there are two oil holes in the ballmount top plate for upper trunnion lubrication. Lubricate lower trunnions with one drop at contact point between trunnion and lower socket. Excess oil, dirt, and grit should be wiped out whenever trailer is uncoupled.

Can I grease the Dual Cam Sway Control (DCSC)?

Do not grease the cam and cam arms. The Dual Cam was designed to use metal-to-metal friction. Heavy greasing of the cam and cam arm surfaces with affect performance. If noise is offensive, a very light coating of lubricant, such as Vaseline, may be used. Tongue weights over 1,200 lbs. may require a light coating of grease to reduce friction and prevent excessive wear. The Dual Cam Sway Control DCSC is not to be lubricated on the cam arms when the tongue weight is under 1,200 lbs. Instead you will want to apply a thin coat of a petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline. This will act as a poor lubricant, but works well to dampen the sound. For trailers with over 1,200 lbs. tongue weight you should apply a couple of drops of an 80/90 gear lube to the cam arm to prevent excessive wear caused by the increased tongue weight.

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Greasing Reese cams

Greasing the Reese "trunions" and "cam and saddles," is highly recommended.

In field research, in 1970, proved that greasing those parts had little to no effect on their performance.

However, a lowering of performance was obvious on those that had little to no tension to start with.

If the torsion bars are bending at least "1 to 1 1/2 inches", performance will not be affected.

If the bars are bending 1/2 inch or less, performance "will" be reduced.

The key to it all, is that the bars "must" bend at least 1 to 1 1/2 inch.

If they do not, then either the bars are too heavy, an overload spring is in use, air shocks or air bags are over inflated, or some of the tongue weight has been decreased, perhaps by not loading the trailer correctly.

These tests were conducted by Caravanner Insurance Company, the old insurance division of Airstream. I headed up the testing crew.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:44 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
If noise is offensive, a very light coating of lubricant, such as Vaseline, may be used. Tongue weights over 1,200 lbs. may require a light coating of grease to reduce friction and prevent excessive wear. The Dual Cam Sway Control DCSC is not to be lubricated on the cam arms when the tongue weight is under 1,200 lbs. Instead you will want to apply a thin coat of a petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline. This will act as a poor lubricant, but works well to dampen the sound. For trailers with over 1,200 lbs. tongue weight you should apply a couple of drops of an 80/90 gear lube to the cam arm to prevent excessive wear caused by the increased tongue weight.
it really works, too. I learned about this here on the forum a while back, and gave it a try...I was shocked at how well it actually worked. no sound at all from the cams now. Also, I have still yet to notice even the slightest hint of sway, even with the vaseline. and there were some 18-wheelers this weekend that seemed to be in an awful hurry to get past me on the highway, too. no problem-o.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenturnr
We have a new reese hitch w/sway bars that moan and groan everytime we make a slight turn. We disturb the peace when arriving in a campground
If they are the friction type anti-sway bars, then just disconnect or loosen them before entering the campground. Ours groans too, and I don't need it when going 10mph in a campground
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote