Old 08-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Great visit to CanAm RV in London ON

We are visiting in London ON and just had to drop in to CanAm RV as it is the closest Airstream dealer to Nova Scotia. Thanks to the staff who toured us through their facility. Was shown a hitch installation in progress with explanation of what the advantages would be. Had a tour of a 2015 Classic that was having some modes done, and then a 25 ft Serenity. Browsed the showroom, and had a great visit. Will be dropping in next year if we do our cross country trip to get some maintenance done.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
They are good people and definitely the towing experts!

Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I am curious what they can do for me to improve towing with my Excursion. I have done a ton of mods on the Ex and have a Propride. What else can they do? I am by no means complaining about towing performance, but improvements are always welcome as we do hard long days on the road.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Check with them at their email contact... They had a Chrysler 600 hitched to a 25' Serenity that they use for demo. They are the experts at matching TV's to trailers.

Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
Check with them at their email contact... They had a Chrysler 600 hitched to a 25' Serenity that they use for demo. They are the experts at matching TV's to trailers.

That must be one interesting hitch to lash up 2 Chrysler 300's to 1 25' Serenity
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I am curious what they can do for me to improve towing with my Excursion. I have done a ton of mods on the Ex and have a Propride. What else can they do? I am by no means complaining about towing performance, but improvements are always welcome as we do hard long days on the road.

Hitch receiver reinforcement always good. Whether of the stock receiver or a better aftermarket piece. Reduces frame rail flex as WD torque applied.

I'd also imagine advice on TV shock absorbers, tire size and tread pattern.

Were it mine I'd be looking at poly anti-roll bar bushings (if not upgrading bars in size), and most of all focusing on steering slop. No matter where it originates.

10-degrees out at the steering shaft is something I'd chase down and kill. There may be replacement power steering gearboxes which are better than stock.

The stock Excursion needs a lot right from the get go. I'd imagine you're familiar with what other owners have done. Some of those changes may not be ideal. So I'd have a list of what those are (common changes) and have that ready to discuss.

The HA stinger can be cut and re-welded at an angle which benefits WD. While the PP has range of adjustment available, I don't know if it can be modified in this way or to this extent.

Can't hurt to have a go-over by them no matter what. Small things can make a big difference and this is where depth of experience counts.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks Slowmover

The Excursion has been well taken care of, I may replace the factory sway bars which is all that is left to do. The 2005s came with front and rear sway bars. The rest of the work was done, the factory steering box is in a landfill.

I am more interested in hitch modifications. Curious what they could do. Not sure if I would want or even need Propride hitch bar mods.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Thanks Slowmover

The Excursion has been well taken care of, I may replace the factory sway bars which is all that is left to do. The 2005s came with front and rear sway bars. The rest of the work was done, the factory steering box is in a landfill.

I am more interested in hitch modifications. Curious what they could do. Not sure if I would want or even need Propride hitch bar mods.

I added a bar to the rear of my truck, and had to upsize front to offset increased roll stiffness at rear. Rear bar upsize only a bad idea.

Whether or not you upgrade bars, Energy Suspension grease-able polyurethane bar bushings are a real aid. One can feel the bars react in a shorter time. Same for end links, use poly (unless there is a slick custom Ford piece). It's about the only place this material is a real win for suspensions.

Excursions (and most all trucks) need all the help they can get. So help with hitch rigging is a very good idea.

If I ever decide to tow the trailer to visit my son on East Coast, then the 4-500 extra mile detour thru Michigan doesn't seem much on a 4000+ mile trip.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Gilmur, They are great at CanAM aren't they,,, but never again will I whine about my 4.5 hr drive to get to them LOL !
Old 08-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Anyone who has read Andy_T's articles in ASLife or RV Lifestyles(CA) has a good notion of the level of expertise and commitment they will find at CanAm. As a total newbie, they were instrumental in my decision for an efficient TV (VW Jetta diesel) to pull my Safari 20', and CanAm to do the hitch work. After about 2500 miles, it seems to have been borne out. Even during an emergency lane change manoeuver, the Safari tracked my Jetta perfectly.

As to crossing borders, I try to remember every time: you are meeting indifivuals of another nationality who don't necessarily share your patriotic preference. Some can be dismissive, or hostile, most others friendly, but the only thing that matters is, did you get through. This time happily., I didn't have much trouble entering Canada with my trailer professionaly hauled behind me. My Canadian hauler was great, the people at CanAm were very friendly, helpful and professional all the way, Andy obviously cares about the work, taking personal charge of the hitch installation and even giving me my first towing lesson! i wouldn't let a tough border spoil the experience.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sometimes I get tired of my TV as a daily driver - a big, honkin' chevy 2500 duramax with all the bells and whistles. I dream about going up to see Andy and his team and getting a bimmer all modded up so I can continue to tow my 31' limited.

Now that would be a pleasant daily driver!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:08 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Visited CANAM last year to have the ML350 receiver reinforced, brake controller installed and hitch setup. I must say they are the best Airstream dealer I have ever dealt with. What a great visit!

Getting into Canada was not a problem at all but getting back the US customs officer could not believe that I drove from CO to get my German SUV modified in Canada. Don't the Germans build it well enough and was there no one in the US that could do it. After a polite but lengthy discussion he made me take everything out of the back showing him the hitch and reinforcement. It was a pain but at least he did not make me go to the full inspection area.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Neither one of these folks own an Airstream so who cares.

Troll is extremely fitting. I'm new, and buying AS myself.

Think I will head over to the Ferrari Owners Group forum and bitch about the low speed limits in my state and price of gas.

Later

Dan
So you are buying an AS but don't own one yet? Who's trolling?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

After a thorough cleaning this thread is open again. Let's keep to the original topic.

The Site Team

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote