Name:	Sta-Lube CV Joint Lube.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	159797  

Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It's not recent, it's been several years. I just checked, and the regular oil, black hitch lube grease is no longer available. I still have part of a bottle, but once it's gone, it's gone.
The white teflon stuff is not what we were originally discussing, or at least not what I was talking about.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ace Hardware sells a marine and wheel bearing grease in a blue can. It doesn't migrate from ball surface, perhaps because of the high drip point (500˚ I think).

I clean off the old grease from the ball with a paper towel and then use another one to apply the clean grease to it—usually do this every time we hitch. Periodically I spray the inside of the coupler with WD40 and clean with paper towel.

Although grease (and just about anything else you can think of) is attracted to my clothes and hands, I've been pretty good at avoiding a mess. My wife suggests gloves to avoid grease and sometimes I remember to use them. I try not to wipe them on my pants.

I also use the grease in the bar sockets on the Equalizer hitch head. Keeps it a little quieter and should reduce wear; none on the other end of the bars.

I don't understand why if you don't use grease on the ball, why be inconsistent and use grease on the wheel bearings or oil in your engine?

Gene
Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It's not recent, it's been several years. I just checked, and the regular oil, black hitch lube grease is no longer available. I still have part of a bottle, but once it's gone, it's gone.
The white teflon stuff is not what we were originally discussing, or at least not what I was talking about.
Oh, OK, I didn't know there was a black Reese grease. I was talking about the white stuff that comes in a small white "prescription" bottle size, pictured upthread. That's the stuff I really like.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Oh, OK, I didn't know there was a black Reese grease. I was talking about the white stuff that comes in a small white "prescription" bottle size, pictured upthread. That's the stuff I really like.
If I didn't think the lettering would smear off, I'd clean the bottle up and post a picture of it. It's good stuff, but very few "modern" Airstreamers know about it. Of course, now that it's gone, it doesn't matter so much, other than from a historical perspective.
Okay, on edit, I cleaned up the bottle a bit, and here are a couple of photos of it, in case you ever see any at a swap meet:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0131.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	159799   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0130.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	159800  

Old 06-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
I have heard that milk jug plastic works to lube the ball (versus waxed paper). I have not tried it, But I would tow to the end of the world with the fellow who told me this.
I've actually tried both of these, and while they both probably provide some lubrication and isolation between the surfaces, they don't last very long. Every time I unhitched with each method, the paper or plastic had been worn completely thru, and obviously for quite a while.

It's one of those "good ideas" that just didn't pan out, at least for me.

Now, since I use a ProPride hitch that never comes off the ball coupler, I have drilled a hole and added a zerk fitting to the coupler, and I give it a shot of grease every few days of towing.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
"I also use the grease in the bar sockets on the Equalizer hitch head. Keeps it a little quieter and should reduce wear; none on the other end of the bars."

Gene why not on the other end?

John
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I put a bit of wheel-bearing grease on all rub points -- in spite of the Reese instructions. But, then, we use that system primarily for weight distribution, not sway control. (For sway control, we use one of the friction devices, and even then it's really tight only if we're on some higher-speed highway like an interstate.)

Lynn
Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I am curious to know if any one puts a light coat of grease on the ball and sway bars. I have a Reese hitch.

Thanks

John
You MUST grease the Ball. regular bearing grease will work.

Which Reese hitch do you have?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
"I also use the grease in the bar sockets on the Equalizer hitch head. Keeps it a little quieter and should reduce wear; none on the other end of the bars."

Gene why not on the other end?

John
Because I think that's where the anti-sway/friction happens. Equalizer sells a lubricant for that and claims it doesn't have any reduction in anti-sway.

Some people use it because they don't like the noise.

Gene
Old 06-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Direct replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If I didn't think the lettering would smear off, I'd clean the bottle up and post a picture of it. It's good stuff, but very few "modern" Airstreamers know about it. Of course, now that it's gone, it doesn't matter so much, other than from a historical perspective.
Okay, on edit, I cleaned up the bottle a bit, and here are a couple of photos of it, in case you ever see any at a swap meet:
I had some that was handed down to me and is some great stuff, I have found a replacement that is actually better and stays put where it belongs it is Yamalube Molybdenum Disulfide Grease in a 10 oz. Tube. Have used it for over 8 years and am very happy with the results. Have pulled to Alaska and back 5 times and never been let down. This stuff is a deep black due to the Moly incorporated, The thing about the moly is that it embeds itself into the grain of the metal and gives a superior lubricity point. Its high temp and stays put where it belongs. Great product!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Gene

Thanks

I also do no like the noise how ever I do not want anything to impair the anti sway capability so I will wipe the marine grease off that end but the noise is nerve wracking

John
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
EQ does make nylon "bracket jackets" to put on the l-brackets. They do quiet things down a lot. See them here:

Equal-i-zer Hitch Store

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Since the thread has gone to Equal-I-zer noise....

I posted this info in another thread a while back, but many may not have seen it. I talked with an Equal-I-zer hitch user at a park a while back, and he showed me how he had drilled holes and added a couple of keeper clips to the top of the "L" clips, just above the bracket they go thru....the same kind of keeper clips as is used on the bottom of the "L's", and he reported it stopped all of the noise in the turns.

Just thought y'all might want to know.