Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Gilbert , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Yes to greasing.
I think it is better to not used anything on the threads.
Disagree. Threads should run smoothly. The torque action is the surface of the nut being tightened against the mating surface. If the threads are not running smoothly you are not getting the full torque value on the these two surfaces.

1977 24ft Argosy - sold.
Picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
A good (deceased) friend of mine and a fellow Airstreamer who was a retired engineer always swore by putting a folded layer of aluminum foil on the ball of the hitch and when it wore through he would replace it. He said it protected the ball and served a type of slip lubricant. He tried to explain the properties to the two metals and how they reacted together but I never quite grasped the technical concept. However, the hitch on his trailer was always in great condition when I checked with him each time we would meet up at rallies. :-)

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

Improper lubrication on tractor trailer fifth wheel plates is the leading secondary cause in loss of control accidents. .
Really..?? What's your source on that statement?

Quote:
Lack of lubrication makes a bad road situation worse.
Let's see now.... lubricate the ball...but DON'T lubricate the friction anti-sway bar...?? How can friction at one point be bad for control....but friction at the other point be good..??

While grease can reduce noise on a WD hitch... it is needless for a common bumper-pull. Grease gets rid of noise...that's the primary reason. (The amount of wear is negligible and any worn parts should be replaced regardless.) IMO
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #64
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
-- snip -- lubricate the ball...but DON'T lubricate the friction anti-sway bar...?? How can friction at one point be bad for control....but friction at the other point be good..?? -- snip -- IMO
Guess it's not ..... but there is a consideration that

..... the friction sway bar is a brake pad assembly. Generally not a good idea to grease your brakes. If worn, the unit can be replaced by installing a new one. It is a simple bolt on operation.

..... the ball receiver and ball assembly results in a metal on metal assembly. Generally it is a good idea to lubricate moving metal parts. If the ball is worn, it is a simple low cost replacement. However, if the trailer ball receiver is worn, it must be cut off and a new one must be welded onto the A-frame. So, it too is replaceable, but much more difficult and expensive.

Personally, springs and levers appear to provide better control sway forces than friction. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWaugh View Post
A good (deceased) friend of mine and a fellow Airstreamer who was a retired engineer always swore by putting a folded layer of aluminum foil on the ball of the hitch and when it wore through he would replace it. He said it protected the ball and served a type of slip lubricant. He tried to explain the properties to the two metals and how they reacted together but I never quite grasped the technical concept. However, the hitch on his trailer was always in great condition when I checked with him each time we would meet up at rallies. :-)
As another retired engineer (!) I always used a piece of waxed paper on the hitch on our motorcycle - used for towing a small home-built luggage tralier.

It worked fine, and no greasy mess!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Good thread.

Y'all almost have me convinced to drop my ProPride assembly off the ball and look-see whether I need some grease (or aluminum foil or wax paper lol) there or not.

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:48 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Guess it's not ..... but there is a consideration that

..... the friction sway bar is a brake pad assembly. Generally not a good idea to grease your brakes. If worn, the unit can be replaced by installing a new one. It is a simple bolt on operation.

..... the ball receiver and ball assembly results in a metal on metal assembly. Generally it is a good idea to lubricate moving metal parts. If the ball is worn, it is a simple low cost replacement. However, if the trailer ball receiver is worn, it must be cut off and a new one must be welded onto the A-frame. So, it too is replaceable, but much more difficult and expensive.

Personally, springs and levers appear to provide better control sway forces than friction. Pat
It was a rhetorical question, intended to provoke a bit of thought about the reasons for greasing hitch-balls of WD hitches vs common bumper-hitches. But thanks for restating the obvious.

I do not need a WD hitch for my 22' Sport and therefore the ball is not heavily loaded with spring-bars and do not need to lubricate the ball.
YMMV
Old 06-02-2017, 01:13 AM   #68
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Then don't grease the steering components on your TV. Same effect.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Then don't grease the steering components on your TV. Same effect.
I don't.
When was the last time anyone did that to a modern TV?

The mechanical advantage of the TV over the trailer thru the hitch-ball does not indicate any need for lubrication, IMO.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Grease on the hitch ball - is this safe?

You could always test it, couldn't you? Both the ball and that into which it fits.

Let us know what you try, and what you find. Timing, Duration, Degree of Input at the steering wheel are all relevant.

Unlike you I've the experience to know better. And that clean surfaces with fresh grease of the proper type can always be felt at the wheel.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote