Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
A BIG problem with a dry hitch is making a left turn a LOT of pressure is applied to the ball and over time can actually unscrew the ball.

You should check the ball for tightness every time you hookup.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Air tools / impact wrenches can be used for torqueing. The problem is that if you keep the trigger pulled, it will keep hammering and exceed the torque amount set for the tool. Available air pressure will also affect the torque.

From what I could research, air tools/impact wrenches are built for a specific torque amount and need to be periodically calibrated for that amount, at least for the smaller wrenches used for finer work. They cannot accurately be used for different torque amounts. You can use a torque stick on the impact wrench to control it. HF has them. They have a set that goes from 65 ft. lbs. to 150 ft. lbs. I don't know of any that will go up to 320 ft. lbs. for the Equalizer hitch.

But if you just have the impact wrench and keep the wrench hammering away, or if you use a cheater bar on a wrench and use the good old 'tongue in cheek' guesstimate, you're still not going to get an accurate reading.

THAT Sir, is Republican American 'Piggy Poop'!
Those 'Tork Stix' have the accuracy of a bundle of oil soaked spaghetti. (Ask me how I know.)

General torquing is well done with a torque wrench.
Other methods are;
: measuring stretch with a micrometer,
Or using 'Pre-load' indicating washers, OR 'angle torquing',or two other methods that I forget.

Stay with a calibrated torque wrench.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
My old R.C.A.F. Sgt. Told us:
" If it moves, grease it; if it doesn't move, paint it"
"If it talks back, salute it".

Sounds good to me.
Trailer Trash. .....'
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #44
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I think the best outcome of this thread is confirming grease on hitch ball. This is a link to grease sold by one of the most well known hitch names http://www.reeseprod.com/products/hi...8OaGHduyxF9FGH I'm not promoting this brand, just using their name and sales to help support the apply grease here --> HITCH BALL.

But possibly more important, getting folks to question the assumption that their hitch ball is tight and discussing how to do it.

Carry on. Or prove its tight and lubed.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #45
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Did my wipe off the grease at unhitch and add grease at hitch up this weekend. Worked well. It's my new standard. No more grease on pants - maybe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I learned from this forum many moons ago - to clean off ball and WD bars and lightly grease on every trip. My balls and joints are still great and have never given me a problem.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
THAT Sir, is Republican American 'Piggy Poop'!
Those 'Tork Stix' have the accuracy of a bundle of oil soaked spaghetti. (Ask me how I know.)

General torquing is well done with a torque wrench.
Other methods are;
: measuring stretch with a micrometer,
Or using 'Pre-load' indicating washers, OR 'angle torquing',or two other methods that I forget.

Stay with a calibrated torque wrench.
I don't have experience with the torque sticks, just researched and found that information. I have worked in 2 manufacturing environments where pneumatic tools were used to install all types of part on cars and copy machines. They periodically calibrated them and used hand held torque wrenches to confirm the torque on the line.

Pneumatic wrenches can be used to provide a proper torqueing but they have to be properly calibrated. They also have to be used properly. Both of the manufacturing companies I worked for trained the line people in their proper use. Auto shops don't seem to follow proper procedures, just letting the tire jockeys hammer away on the lug nuts. I buy my tires only at the dealership now and I check the torque when I get home. So far, so good.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My local America's Tire store finishes off wheel mounting with a calibrated torque wrench. They calibrated my torque wrench on their fancy machine last time in and found that it was tightening to 105 when it should have been at 100 for my AS.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
I'm thinking one of you experts (I am not) can help me on a grease question.

So, on my 2016 30' FC, Colonial moved my ProPride hitch over from my 27' FC in July.

I'd like to drop the hitch ball to check the ball for grease.

It's over at the storage yard, so not really access to large tools.

Can I do this as follows:

1.) Place a lego block platform under the hitch pivot assembly.

2.) Lower the trailer onto the platform using the service jack

3.) Unlock the ball latch and undo the ball latch

4.) Raise the service jack, causing the trailer to lift off the ball

5.) Service the ball with grease

6.) Reverse to reassemble

I mean, is this ok or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
I'm thinking one of you experts (I am not) can help me on a grease question.

So, on my 2016 30' FC, Colonial moved my ProPride hitch over from my 27' FC in July.

I'd like to drop the hitch ball to check the ball for grease.

It's over at the storage yard, so not really access to large tools.

Can I do this as follows:

1.) Place a lego block platform under the hitch pivot assembly.

2.) Lower the trailer onto the platform using the service jack

3.) Unlock the ball latch and undo the ball latch

4.) Raise the service jack, causing the trailer to lift off the ball

5.) Service the ball with grease

6.) Reverse to reassemble

I mean, is this ok or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Rich

Rich, this would work. You could also use a trolley jack if you have one.

The other way to do it without any additional material (other than grease and rags &#128512 is to hitch up as normal so the weight of the PP head is supported by your TV (no WD applied), release the ball lock on the Airstream and raise the trailer on the tongue jack. You should be able to raise everything 6" - 8" or so which is plenty to get in and clean up / grease.

Obviously make sure everything is secure before you put your hands in to clean up an re-grease.

When you are done, reverse procedure. If the ball lock won't quite seat again, hop in your TV, start it up and very gently inch your TV forward. You should hear the click as the ball lock pops down into the locked position as soon as you take up any slack in the hitch system. This step is not always required. About 50% of the time it just re-latches as you lower but it does occasionally get stuck.

I have done this a few times on the road - it should take 10-15 mins tops once you have done it a few times. I think the approached using your TV is a bit safer than building a support for the head which could be unstable depending on how level the site is and what you have at hand to build a support.

Any of these methods will work though so take your pick.

Note that the PP ball does need greased. Some people say since it does not rotate on the ball it's not important but the head does allow movement side to side and takes a huge load from the WD system. These small movements in my mind are probably worse than a regular hitch that will see many orientations and the grease can move around a bit. The wear points on a PP ball are very localized. My ball has looked pretty polished in a few areas after a year without regressing. I now do it every other time I regrease the WD bars - the grease is out so it does not take long.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
So-called "torque-sticks" are not intended to apply final torque. They are intended to allow an air-tool to be used without exceeding the design torque of the stick. Final torque is achieved using a torque-wrench.

Torque-wrench technique is also important. The gorilla at the tire store will typically use an air impact and torque-stick to install the nuts...then grab a torque wrench and "heave-to" upon it, it will issue a "click" and gorilla thinks he's done his job. In reality he is most likely overtorqued or undertorqued the fasterner rather than achieve the correct torque. This is because he did not support the wrench at it's pivot point thereby adding improper angular-friction to the effort.... or he so-vigorously applied the force in order to achieve that "click"-sound that he exceeded the torque necessary. The wrench should be properly supported, and the force steadily applied only to the point of calibration (click).

The ball on my heavy-duty hitch is welded upon it's mount by design. My light duty hitch-balls are torqued to spec., using lock-washer and then pinned, using a cotter-pin. I believe these are good practices.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I should also have added that I never grease the trailer ball. But I also don't have it in a bind by using a WD hitch either on my 22' Sport which only has a tongue wt of about 400 lbs. No wear is indicated at all.
WD hitches place a lot of pressure on the ball and make them groan and is why folks grease them.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Are we still greasing our balls and hitch bars, if you use too much it will end up on your pants sooner or later...just a thought..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #54
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I think the best outcome of this thread is confirming grease on hitch ball. This is a link to grease sold by one of the most well known hitch names http://www.reeseprod.com/products/hi...8OaGHduyxF9FGH I'm not promoting this brand, just using their name and sales to help support the apply grease here --> HITCH BALL.

But possibly more important, getting folks to question the assumption that their hitch ball is tight and discussing how to do it.

Carry on. Or prove its tight and lubed.
Today I took my hitch to Camping World and asked them to tighten the ball. I have a Blue Ox hitch and bought it from them. I was surprised when he said he would be glad to tighten it and then did so right away. They took it into the shop and I was not allowed to follow. I have so little confidence that it was torqued to 450#.

How do others check if their hitch ball is torqued correctly?

BTW I always lube the ball before each hookup.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:21 AM   #55
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Hans,

Without a torque wrench pretty hard to know. But this is how I've found over a dozen loose hitch balls at forum rallies. I look at the lock washer If it's not compressed you can see a gap, if I take a dollar bill and slide it between the lock washer and nut, and if I put my socket on it my 3/4" breaker bar budged it easily. Any of those are quick checks but a real torque wrench is the gold standard.

One was so loose you could turn the ball with a channel lock pliers.

At alumalina this fall I'll have my wrench and a new hitch ball, not for me for somebody that needs a new one.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
You grease your balls,they won't come loose....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:16 AM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU1981 View Post
Probably a dumb question - we have had are 2015 27FB FC for about 1.5 years now with 10 trips under are belt. I have an equalizer weight distribution / anti sway setup. My question is should I be putting grease on the hitch ball ( which cuts down on the grinding sound) or am I making an unsafe situation where the trailer could pop off the ball ??

Thanks,

Glenn

Once hitched, the connection is part of the steering of the combined rig. It needs lubrication.

Improper lubrication on tractor trailer fifth wheel plates is the leading secondary cause in loss of control accidents.

Clean and re grease the trailer end as well. This seems universally ignored.

Lack of lubrication makes a bad road situation worse.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #58
PSU1981

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
Thanks!!!
PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Yes to greasing.
I think it is better to not used anything on the threads.

Torqueing a nut onto a hitch ball does not require any special equipment other than a socket, breaker bar, and pipe extension. Torque can be calculated pretty closely, at least close enough for my hitch ball (force in pounds x lever length in feet=foot pounds)
So, if I can pull or push 150 lbs on the end of a breaker bar (with a 3' pipe used extend the lever arm length), that would be ~450 foot pounds of torque.
Or, 125 lbs and a 4' pipe extension would be ~500 foot pounds.

Careful though, one could break the breaker bar.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
You grease your balls,they won't come loose....
Good to know ...
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote