Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Got a new truck do I need an upgraded hitch?

I just upgrade from a Toyota Tundra to a Ford F250 Diesel, and it sits 3" higher. It doesn't appear that I have 3" of adjustment in the hitch bar, maybe 1/5".
But it is a bit more complicated than that:
I started out with a 19' SOB with a weight just under 5000 lbs loaded and towed it fine with my Toyota Tacoma with a Reese Trunnion Style WD setup with 800lb. bars.
The Tacoma was ruined (whole different story) I traded up to Toyota Tundra and eventually a 25" Flying Cloud. I kept the same hitch but they recommended to upgrade to 1200 bars.
Then I upgraded to a 30' International that same hitch setup worked fine last year, but this summer I seemed to get a bit of sway sometimes, particularly on grades and when being passed by big rigs. I had the cheesy friction style control for the whole time. Plus the Ford F250 has those reducer sleeves in tow hitch for various size hitches, and I am concerned about slop in those sleeves.
Sorry if I posted this in a confusing manner.
Any recommendations are welcome.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Why would you even ask? Buy a HaHa or Propride and get back out there. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I sometimes pull a 32' Airstream. The first time I pulled it I used the same bars and setup as I did for my 25'. It did not feel real solid. I could upset it at 60 and get just a little wiggle. I went to 1000 lb bars and re-adjusted the hitch. It now seems very stable and solid. Sounds to me like you need to re-dial in the hitch for the trailer. And if the trailer is at all nose up or heavy in the back that is a bad thing. And careful when you switch bars the 1000 lb bars I got are slightly longer than the 800 lb bars so you have to re-adjust the trunions on the Straight Line hitch.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote