Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Gonna buy a hitch on Monday, Unless you say otherwise.

I am trying to do my homework. I'm going to buy Reese pro series S/C on Monday. Is this a good hitch? It has Weight Distribution and sway control. I know nothing about hitches. Is this acceptable?

My Tow Truck is a 2007 F250 Crew Cab 4x4. With a 12,500lb hitch, also has tow/camper package.

My Airstream is a 2010 25' International FB.

Thank you so much.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Shane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I am trying to do my homework. I'm going to buy Reese pro series S/C on Monday. Is this a good hitch? It has Weight Distribution and sway control. I know nothing about hitches. Is this acceptable?

My Tow Truck is a 2007 F250 Crew Cab 4x4. With a 12,500lb hitch, also has tow/camper package.

My Airstream is a 2010 25' International FB.

Thank you so much.

Shane
I have been towing with an earlier version of the hitch that you are describing since 1995. I have traveled all over the lower 48 and have always been very pleased with its performance. The one thing to be careful of with this hitch is the weight rating of the weight distribution bars - - I suspect that the 600 pound bars would likely be the preferred setup with you new coach.

Good luck with your new coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Shane, a fine hitch, heed Kevin, and don't forget the sway bar. See you out on the road.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Shane, a fine hitch, heed Kevin, and don't forget the sway bar. See you out on the road.
From what I understand the S/C stands for sway control.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
From what I understand the S/C stands for sway control.

Shane
A gentle jest about the other thread. Don't forget to spend the time tuning the system. You can do it with scales or a tape measure, but do it.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
A gentle jest about the other thread. Don't forget to spend the time tuning the system. You can do it with scales or a tape measure, but do it.
I'm going to have a hitch company install it,,,,again, I'm clueless.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The Cliff Note Version

Quote:

Shane
Shane, I am not the most technically proficient member nor the most eloquent where hitches are concerned. On the other hand, I can provide the gist. The idea behind the WD hitches is that they evenly distribute the weight of the load among all of the axles. How you adjust the hitch (links and what not) determines how effective the hitch is in doing so. You can weigh the entire rig (CAT scales at your local truck stop) and then one set of axles at a time, or you can use a tape measure to determine if the wheel well clearances (front and back) on your tow vehicle are the same. Either works. The main thing is to get the weight distribution among the axles as close to equal as possible. Do this again after you have traveled for a while and have added the inevitable junk to the TV and camper.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Not familiar with that hitch at all but just watched the online install video...save yourself the install bucks and do it yourself. You will learn all you need to know about the hitch. There are no holes to drill and only a few measurements to make. IMO...simple & well worth the effort.

The only thing I question....there is very little adjustment of the spring bars to compensate for different trailer and TV loading. Makes for a simple system but you do give up the flexability.

Pro Series SC Weight Distribution by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese, 1,100 TW, 14K GTW 49579 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com
Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you're clueless, don't buy the hitch yet, because you may be easy pickin's for a not-so-honest installer. Educate yourself, and this forum has plenty of opinion and advice.

We bought our Airstream last year and settled for an Equal-I-Zer hitch. Works fine and good price. Reese is at least as good. But these provide only sway dampening. There are newer inventions, ProPride and Hensley hitches, that provide sway prevention. A lot more money, but decide first before forking out the cash for a lesser product, then deciding you want the safest and best handling available. We are tossing the Equal-I-Zer in favor of the newer design.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
This new SC model design from Reese looks like a copy of the Equalizer style hitch. The w/e bars look awfully stiff which is the same problem with the Equalizer hitch. You have a heavy duty truck with stiff suspension. You are trying to tow a softly sprung Airstream. The other Reese systems allow you to pick a more flexible lower weight rating set of w/d bars. They would act as the damper between the truck and the trailer and not cause the abuse on the Airstream this system would cause when encountering less than smooth roads. I own a Reese twin cam and a Equalizer system and have used them with a stiffly sprung 350 Dually. I no longer use the "Equalizer" hitch system because of the damage it has done.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
There was a thread some time back following a "quick quiz" wondering how many people had their hitches installed correctly. I, and I would guess several others, were surprised to learn how many folks had their hitches installed INCORRECTLY - so learn about them, read about them, study them and soak up all you can about hitches here on the FORUMS. Only YOU can prevent them from being installed incorrectly. It is worth the effort to take a little more time and see that its done correctly. Be careful - don't let them get away with doing half a job and pushing you out the door. As others have said - take a little extra time and get it done right, THE FIRST TIME. Doesn't that sound like your father, or grandfather or other mentor??? Good luck - nothing like 'streamin!!!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Shane,

Not try'n to be a smartass but.....I see you as me when I first started Stream'n.

I would see something I thought I needed and usually go off half cocked to get it. More often than not with regrets later.

Luckily about the only thing that didn't apply too was our first AS.

Take some time on your hitch decision. Weigh the + & - carefully. If it were me I would like to see softer bars with more adjustability. In my experience the friction type sway controls are just not as efficient as the more modern designs, disclaimer...have NEVER used this hitch.

A lot of experience here...take advantage of it. Good Luck.

Stream Safe.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Shane
My advice based on my own bad experience:

Read about it until you understand it and how the various adjustments effect it. Then install it yourself.

I made the mistake on my previous trailer of assuming that the dealer would have the knowledge and ability to install the hitch better than I could. My belief may or may not have been true. However what the dealer lacked was incentive to do it correctly. What I found out weeks later was that the very experienced service tech that installed my hitch was in a dispute with the dealers management and quit a week after my installation.

I am not saying he intentionally did a crappy job, but I am pretty sure he didn't care if it was a good job. The worst of what he did was send us on a 150 mile trip home on the interstate towing a trailer with a 2 5\16" hitch with a 2" ball on our truck. Luckily it stayed together. When I got home, found that mistake, and read all the hitch instructions, I ended up removing everything and reinstalling it myself. After that I was able to maintain it and keep in in proper adjustment because I understood it.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
I keep hearing about this hitch:

Equalizer Hitch - RV Parts, RV Supplies & RV Accessories for 5th Wheels, ToyHaulers, Campers

Better than the Reese Pro series With sway control?

Pro Series SC Weight Distribution by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese, 1,100 TW, 14K GTW 49579 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
zillions

There are zillions of threads on here touting the pros and cons of hitches. Make sure to do the research.

Larry has towed with LOTS and lots of different hitches over the years. We vote for the ProPride. A little step different than the Hensley with "the" Mr. Hensley making some improvements. At a price that is a little less than Hensley. It is a great thing to have!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Hi Shane,

Well, I will tell you my personal experience. I towed a 21 foot molded fiberglass SOB (GVW 6300 Lbs) for 9 years with an Equal-i-zer hitch. It did a sufficient job. The problem with its design is that the sway control is dependent on the amount of weight distribution you use. Therefore with a HD truck, you will generally get less effective Sway control. Also the Weight distribution bars are square and flex much less that round tapered ones, therefore you get a rougher ride. When I bought my Airstream, I bought a ProPride hitch and have never looked back. much improved ride and sway control.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
"Otherwise"

You say you are trying to "do your homework" but then jump to a conclusion without a parachute and ask us if you should have jumped. Geeese!

Take a few deep breaths and slow down. You asked for everyone's advice, so here it is again summarized: Educate yourself before buying a hitch. Learn the facts first and then take action based on knowledge, not drama.

A great article on hitches by Andy Thomson of Can-Am RV appears in the Spring 2010 issue of Airstream Life magazine, now being mailed and available online if you are not yet a subscriber. Reading Andy's article will help you educate yourself, as everyone on this thread strongly recommends.

Remember, as Smokey the Ball says: "Only YOU can prevent improper hitching."
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Shane,

Both use a very similar friction sway control.

It looks to me that the only way to adjust the spring bars is to move the brackets on the frame rails, that just may be a real PITA.

Don't really see a lot of difference between the two. Both from quality mfgrs. and look to have a simple install. You may just have to put your eyeballs on them to evaluate the differences.

They both are so new that you may not get many observations from people who have actually used them.

Bob
Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
You say you are trying to "do your homework" but then jump to a conclusion without a parachute and ask us if you should have jumped. Geeese!

Take a few deep breaths and slow down. You asked for everyone's advice, so here it is again summarized: Educate yourself before buying a hitch. Learn the facts first and then take action based on knowledge, not drama.

A great article on hitches by Andy Thomson of Can-Am RV appears in the Spring 2010 issue of Airstream Life magazine, now being mailed and available online if you are not yet a subscriber. Reading Andy's article will help you educate yourself, as everyone on this thread strongly recommends.

Remember, as Smokey the Ball says: "Only YOU can prevent improper hitching."
I'm reading a lot. Been through two thread pages and still going. I've also read the hensley web site, reese website. other trailer sites and watched several youtube videos. ..I've been educating myself as advised. SO does that mean all my questions are answered?????? Should I stop asking questions???? Do my questions bother you????? If they do then don't post and move on, Thanks..... I'm looking for opinions and Real world tests. Thank-you

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Shane!

I have been towing with an earlier version of the hitch that you are describing since 1995. I have traveled all over the lower 48 and have always been very pleased with its performance. The one thing to be careful of with this hitch is the weight rating of the weight distribution bars - - I suspect that the 600 pound bars would likely be the preferred setup with you new coach.

Good luck with your new coach!

Kevin
I should have checked into what SC meant - - my thought was that it was a new application of the Dual Cam system. Upon reading other posts and then checking on the Internet, I now understand it is more closely related to the Equal-i-zer. Through a little further investigation, I found that the hitch is offered in a 750 pound version that might be a better match for your combination.

Kevin

P.S.: My experience has been with the "Classic" Reese Strait-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control. One of the things that I like about this system is that once you understand installation/adjustment it is very easy to adjust when you tow with multiple vehicles having slightly different hitch geometry. Learned my lesson on my first long trip -- had 1,000 pound weight distribution bars and after 1,300 miles I had dozens of rivets to replace in the front half of the trailer (26' Overlander w/750 pound hitch weight when loaded) -- switching to 600 pound weight distribution bars solved issues with popped rivets and smoothed the ride considerably while making it easy to perfectly dial-in the Reese Dual Cam System.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote