A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
blah,blah,blah
cheers
2air'
Anyway, When I was referring to camper/towing package on my TV. I was not specifiying that it was one package. I know they are seperate. Just didn't want to type both in seperate sentences. I was only throwing info out there.... But thanks for clarifying.....

In regards to my posts bothering you, to whom you I was NOT addressing, but it appears apparent that now i am because of you feel the NEED to chastise me. A nice PM would be nice<I know how that works>

If I fall on deaf ears so be it, If noone responds so be it. If I post in two places it's because it kinda came out that way and it's whats on my mind at the time. Have made suggestions on other threads <i.e 2010 Int'l thread> and realized I need a lot more info so posted in the proper place<here>. Not everyone goes to every thread and reads, well apparently you do. Do you wish for me to and delete my other threads?

Your "air" was a little helpful but more annoying to me. Again, Pm's are new to you?

Now get your nose out of the "air",,,,unless of course you do speak for everyone here then I will leave this site all together.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Shane, the question of what hitch is the best brings out a lot of opinions. Reading all the hitch threads will reveal that and also may make you loopy. Sort out useless from useful opinions is one of the challenges of learning from forums.

From what I gather, ProPride and Hensley are good for longer trailers than yours and mine, but not necessarily needed for 25' trailers. When we bought our trailer they recommended an Equalizer and they installed it. As I learned more, I found they did a terrible job of installing it. I guess there wasn't enough profit for them to spend the time to get it right.

With the Equalizer (and maybe others) as it breaks in, it needs readjustment anyway. It's best to learn how the hitch works because someday you will have to tighten bolts and readjust. It wasn't very easy to learn how to do it and I was helped by very good info on the Forum and calling Equalizer, more than once. Once I adjusted it, the rig rode a lot better.

It's nice to have someone do it for you and I am not criticizing you for it. You will have to learn, so watch carefully and ask lots of questions.

Gene

Old 02-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #31
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Shane, the question of what hitch is the best brings out a lot of opinions. Reading all the hitch threads will reveal that and also may make you loopy. Sort out useless from useful opinions is one of the challenges of learning from forums.

From what I gather, ProPride and Hensley are good for longer trailers than yours and mine, but not necessarily needed for 25' trailers. When we bought our trailer they recommended an Equalizer and they installed it. As I learned more, I found they did a terrible job of installing it. I guess there wasn't enough profit for them to spend the time to get it right.

With the Equalizer (and maybe others) as it breaks in, it needs readjustment anyway. It's best to learn how the hitch works because someday you will have to tighten bolts and readjust. It wasn't very easy to learn how to do it and I was helped by very good info on the Forum and calling Equalizer, more than once. Once I adjusted it, the rig rode a lot better.

It's nice to have someone do it for you and I am not criticizing you for it. You will have to learn, so watch carefully and ask lots of questions.

Gene

THANK_YOU!!! This what I'm looking for. So I can gain opions and make my own decision. I tried the search and yes it makes you loopy. If I ask questions here and get disgruntled answers <2air> I can usually weed through it. I'm just not going to take any of it lying down.

Your post has been very helpful and so have many others.
When I obtain this knowlege I will pass it on to other new members, Isn't that how it's suppose to work? Even though it might take me awhile....LOL

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #32
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I am beginning to think that any post about weight distribution, sway control, hitches, and perhaps all towing should be required to be posted here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html

Regards,
Ken
Old 02-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Anyway...but more annoying to me...
c, we agree!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #34
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
it's highly UNlikely the a/s dealer suggested NO w/d, sway control device...

otoh in THIS case that may be exactly what happened and for good reasons...

so true...

cheers
2air'
You, Sir are rude and have no manners.

I'm getting pm's on actually how disliked you are here. Enjoy your day, NOT.

IGNORED

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #35
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
So what you are saying is Reese and Equalizer is an inadequate device for an airstream?

Pretty big statement there.

Just say'n.

Shane
No,
What he is saying is that you paid a lot for your trailer when you bought it. Why scrimp by protecting it and you with something other than a top of the line hitch.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #36
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
No,
What he is saying is that you paid a lot for your trailer when you bought it. Why scrimp by protecting it and you with something other than a top of the line hitch.

So please help me understand then. It's a fact on hitches the more you spend the better they work? I want the best and will mostly likely buy the best its just that Everyone so far tells me theirs is the best. I can find all that info from the search forum. Shoot there are even Rv's saying you don't need sway control. Just tow it as is. <I atleast know that much>.

I need to change the OP to "Who has expierence in more than one hitch with W/D and S/C. Opinions wanted.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #37
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I wouldn't want to call it a fact, but in general thats about it. The Hensley and Propride do give you an edge since they move the pivot forward. Is it worth the extra expense for a trailer your size? You pay your money and takes your chances I guess. The Reese hitch is perfectly satisfactory for a rig your size, but it doesn't move the pivot point. What ever you get, make sure you get it tuned right for your TV-camper combo.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Shane,

I think we all appreciate your questions and certainly we can relate to your position. As with most discussions about tow vehicles, hitches and trailers, we all have our opinions and most are fueled by their own equipment.

I use an Equalizer and have so for about 8 years now, almost all of them pulling my SOB. I now have a 2006 25 FB and have not put many miles on so I am no expert. I did tow it home over 400 miles of mountains and very high winds out on the flats. It pulled like a dream and isn't this what Airstreams are famous for?

When I bought my Equalizer I ruled out the super expensive ones mainly because the trailer I was pulling wasn't a huge thing nor did I have the cash. My brother had a Reese and I didn't like springing the chains into place each time and his would not allow backing up with the chains in position. I know these features are better now but that was why I looked at the Equalizer.

The Equalizer was easy to install and adjust. The dealer actually put it on but did not tune it in very well. As others have said, after reading up on things I did the adjusting myself. It is easy to hook up and has worked very well for me. I didn't like the noise it produced but have minimized that with a little lubrication.

Good luck. I a sure you will make the right decision for you.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
You can

Go to the ProPride website and read and watch the videos. Call Sean and talk to him. Larry has pulled with both hitches. He said he did not ever think it would be worth the extra money to buy the ProPride or the Hensley 'til he drove with one. THAT changed the tune. We now pull with the ProPride. He says it DOES make the difference. The science behind it makes a difference. You can read more at the Unofficial ProPride users guide in these threads as posted by 2airishuman.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #40
_

. , .
this forum needs more pullrite users!

Quote:
...Everyone so far tells me theirs is the best...
well enough of THAT already...

i don't own or use this one and...

Name:   pullrite.png
Views: 251
Size:  24.6 KB

it hasn't been mentioned yet, it's perfect for this tv/tralya combo...

PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

"stronger, safer and BETTER" designed JUST for U...

there's even a 'how 2' on it out in space...

it's da'hitch to have...

and a table that proves it's betta'

proof is IN the table...

strap this sucka on yer truck and you'll be towing with the best of them...

REALLY!

and 1 REALLY nice feature is that once mounted there are NO adjustments...

just hook up n go.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Shane,

It takes some thickness of skin to be part of the forums. Just ignore those that you think are not appropriate. Most people are sincere and try to help, not all. Some act more like they know it all, they don't.

As to the Equalizer. I bought a trailer new, the dealer put on the Husky Valley hitch with chains and a separate sway bar. That bar is almost useless for short trailers and useless for longer ones. That hitch lasted 100 miles. Then I purchased an Equalizer 1200/12000. It does everything they say it will. However, I would not purchase another one. The hitch has limitations that I feel are severe including the need for constant tightening of the L brackets (each day under way), non interchangable spring bars into the same hitch head (very awkward if you have more than one trailer that are not the same weights), requires a short shank ball, and requires a thin wall socket for the ball nut. Most recently, the company has addressed the L brackets, I am not sure about the other issues. In ten miles of towing the difference with this hitch was absolutely noticable as it related to the previous dealer installed hitch.

What would I purchase doing it all over again? I would seriously look at Hensely or ProPride, a little more money, a lot more hitch. We have $40,000+ invested in our tow vehicles, way more than that in the trailers and want to stay under $600 for the important hitch. It just doesn't pencil out! Good luck in your research and I hope you get the hitch you want/need the first time, not like me going on the third time.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #42
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
So please help me understand then. It's a fact on hitches the more you spend the better they work? I want the best and will mostly likely buy the best its just that Everyone so far tells me theirs is the best. I can find all that info from the search forum. Shoot there are even Rv's saying you don't need sway control. Just tow it as is. <I atleast know that much>.
Shane

There are two sets of Facts to Consider.

The first set of Facts is products and pricing. Equal-i-zer is mainly sold through full-service dealers and has margins that, how shall we say, meet the expectations of the dealers. Reese does have a dealer network but is also sold through discounters. Price does not always equal value or even cost due to the differences in dealer margins. Look at what you're getting and the prices and draw your own conclusions.

Sway control.... the Facts to Consider.

1) I have never encountered anyone on this forum or any other who has actually used a Hensley-type hitch and then switched to anything else for any reason or experienced any sort of buyer's remorse. It takes some digging but when you find posts by people who have towed extensively with friction sway control and then switch to the Hensley-type hitches they say they will never go back.

2) Many if not most long-time users of friction sway controls have encountered at least one experience of friction system "misbehavior." With the older manual friction-bar sway controls this was most often due to misadjustment or a failure on the part of the operator to tighten the clamp. Less of a problem with newer designs that involve the WD springs in the friction control, but then there can still be a loss or change in sway control behavior in the rain or depending on the state of "polish" of the bars

3) The dual-cam type setups do have their own inherent limitations when towing at speed around a gradual curve particularly on slippery road surfaces

4) The Pull Rite are worth considering but most people conclude that while they work well enough the practicalities and costs of moving them from one TV to another make them a less than ideal choice.

I think eventually the Hensley-type hitches will become common and the prices will drop, and then nobody will run anything else. Until then the tradeoffs are yours to make, considering the costs and your finances, the distances and circumstances of your traveling, and your own assessment of the net safety benefit.