Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
zillions

There are zillions of threads on here touting the pros and cons of hitches. Make sure to do the research.

Larry has towed with LOTS and lots of different hitches over the years. We vote for the ProPride. A little step different than the Hensley with "the" Mr. Hensley making some improvements. At a price that is a little less than Hensley. It is a great thing to have!

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Hi Shane,

Well, I will tell you my personal experience. I towed a 21 foot molded fiberglass SOB (GVW 6300 Lbs) for 9 years with an Equal-i-zer hitch. It did a sufficient job. The problem with its design is that the sway control is dependent on the amount of weight distribution you use. Therefore with a HD truck, you will generally get less effective Sway control. Also the Weight distribution bars are square and flex much less that round tapered ones, therefore you get a rougher ride. When I bought my Airstream, I bought a ProPride hitch and have never looked back. much improved ride and sway control.

Regards,
Ken

Old 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
"Otherwise"

You say you are trying to "do your homework" but then jump to a conclusion without a parachute and ask us if you should have jumped. Geeese!

Take a few deep breaths and slow down. You asked for everyone's advice, so here it is again summarized: Educate yourself before buying a hitch. Learn the facts first and then take action based on knowledge, not drama.

A great article on hitches by Andy Thomson of Can-Am RV appears in the Spring 2010 issue of Airstream Life magazine, now being mailed and available online if you are not yet a subscriber. Reading Andy's article will help you educate yourself, as everyone on this thread strongly recommends.

Remember, as Smokey the Ball says: "Only YOU can prevent improper hitching."
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Shane,

Both use a very similar friction sway control.

It looks to me that the only way to adjust the spring bars is to move the brackets on the frame rails, that just may be a real PITA.

Don't really see a lot of difference between the two. Both from quality mfgrs. and look to have a simple install. You may just have to put your eyeballs on them to evaluate the differences.

They both are so new that you may not get many observations from people who have actually used them.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
You say you are trying to "do your homework" but then jump to a conclusion without a parachute and ask us if you should have jumped. Geeese!

Take a few deep breaths and slow down. You asked for everyone's advice, so here it is again summarized: Educate yourself before buying a hitch. Learn the facts first and then take action based on knowledge, not drama.

A great article on hitches by Andy Thomson of Can-Am RV appears in the Spring 2010 issue of Airstream Life magazine, now being mailed and available online if you are not yet a subscriber. Reading Andy's article will help you educate yourself, as everyone on this thread strongly recommends.

Remember, as Smokey the Ball says: "Only YOU can prevent improper hitching."
I'm reading a lot. Been through two thread pages and still going. I've also read the hensley web site, reese website. other trailer sites and watched several youtube videos. ..I've been educating myself as advised. SO does that mean all my questions are answered?????? Should I stop asking questions???? Do my questions bother you????? If they do then don't post and move on, Thanks..... I'm looking for opinions and Real world tests. Thank-you

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Gonna buy a hitch on Monday, Unless you say otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Shane!

I have been towing with an earlier version of the hitch that you are describing since 1995. I have traveled all over the lower 48 and have always been very pleased with its performance. The one thing to be careful of with this hitch is the weight rating of the weight distribution bars - - I suspect that the 600 pound bars would likely be the preferred setup with you new coach.

Good luck with your new coach!

Kevin
I should have checked into what SC meant - - my thought was that it was a new application of the Dual Cam system. Upon reading other posts and then checking on the Internet, I now understand it is more closely related to the Equal-i-zer. Through a little further investigation, I found that the hitch is offered in a 750 pound version that might be a better match for your combination.

Kevin

P.S.: My experience has been with the "Classic" Reese Strait-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Control. One of the things that I like about this system is that once you understand installation/adjustment it is very easy to adjust when you tow with multiple vehicles having slightly different hitch geometry. Learned my lesson on my first long trip -- had 1,000 pound weight distribution bars and after 1,300 miles I had dozens of rivets to replace in the front half of the trailer (26' Overlander w/750 pound hitch weight when loaded) -- switching to 600 pound weight distribution bars solved issues with popped rivets and smoothed the ride considerably while making it easy to perfectly dial-in the Reese Dual Cam System.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hi Shane; with all of these 2 cents, you will soon have enough to pay for the hitch of choice. Now for mine, I have 2010 fc 25 fb and tow with a gmc 2500hd 4x4 and use the equi-lizer hitch. I have about 500 miles with this set-up and like it very much. Yes the truck rides a little hard, but with the trrailer it seams to soften. I am using the 1000# bars on the hitch. Like you I had numerous questions and called Equilizer. They were very informative and suggested the same set-up as had my dealer. Again, I feel comfortable with this set-up also the ease of hitching.
Good luck, mike
Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Shane,

Both use a very similar friction sway control.

It looks to me that the only way to adjust the spring bars is to move the brackets on the frame rails, that just may be a real PITA.

Don't really see a lot of difference between the two. Both from quality mfgrs. and look to have a simple install. You may just have to put your eyeballs on them to evaluate the differences.

They both are so new that you may not get many observations from people who have actually used them.

Bob
Hi Bob,
THe Equal-i-zer has been around since the late 1950s.

You are correct about the adjustment method.

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - About Us - Company History

Regards,

Ken
Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Sorry,

I thought this was a new model....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch_l.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	96154  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I try to suggest a middle of the road approach, as far as WD/sway control. If you have the money, Hensley or ProPride are the best. Eaz-Lift and the generic knockoffs of it are, well, at the lower end, efectiveness-wise (is that a word?), as well as price-wise. The Reese Dual Cam and Strait-Line are in the middle, and much more effective than the cheap stuff, and not really that much more money. You get what you pay for. The Reese SC and Equal-I-Zer are between the Dual Cam/Strait-Line and Eaz-Lift, both in price and effectiveness. Again, if you have the money, go with the best you can afford.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Sorry,

I thought this was a new model....
I think they may say that it is, but there is nothing funtionally new.

That Picture is basically identical to the one I bought in 2000. In fact I had to buy a replacement head in 2009 and its was basically the same. There were only some changes in the head casting that appeared to be to save money buying iron.

Here is what they looked like in the 1970s.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I'm reading a lot...I've been educating myself as advised. SO does that mean all my questions are answered?????...
good u r reading...

good u r educatin'...

and YES ALL of YOUR questions have been answered...

now, there IS the matter of IF those answers are useful...

and, there IS the history that essentially every question U ask having ALREADY been answered a few 100 times elsewhere...

so REposting the same "100 most common questions and issues" for streaming....

well...

THAT's a whole nother issue.

i agree COMPLETEly with wee winds post, especially the first sentence!

also argree with bob's observation that U remind many of US, of US at the beginning of streaming....

LOTs of enthusiasm and LOTS of questions and LOTS of wasted money and mistaken choices...

for example RUNNING the rv batteries down to ZERO isn't a good idea (your question from another thread)...

and is a GREAT WAY to short the LIFE of new batteries on a new stream...
________

with Regard to THIS truck model ...

1. there is NO camper/towing package on these fords...

2. there is a "camper package" and there is a "towing package" the 2 packages are DISTINCT and include different bits...

3. the "towing package" is NECESSARY and extremely useful on the superduty...

4. the "camper package" is TOTALLY UN needed and may be a NEGATIVE for towing 'streams.

-the the inherently WEAK floppy frame and poorly attached brittle shell interface on newer units...

--SEE the many threads on CRACKED shells and shell SEPARATION for the details..

4.1. the camper package is basically...

-a certificate showing "center of gravity" for use with SLIDE IN camper...
--a OVER LOAD leaf on TOP of the spring stack (shorter and more curved) designed for use with SLIDE IN camper...
---a 'rear anti-sway, anti-roll bar' again, intended primarily for use with a SLIDE IN camper...

one doesn't NEED any of these 3 things for towing 'a frame trailers' like a stream.
_________

truck changes

if the truck really has the 'camper package option'

so imo it would be WISE to have the ONE EXTRA SHORT STIFF, SLIDE IN CAMPER leaf spring REMOVED...

((( and this is the ONLY EXAMPLE i can recall EVER, where this recommendation is appropriate)))

then leave the REST of the spring stack in place as normally done WITHOUT the "camper package" extra leaf...

the 'rear anti-roll, anti-sway' bar can remain on the truck, it' DOES help with driving the truck SOLO, un hitched.

but it is really an anti ROLL bar intended to counter LEANING from the truck, especially when a HIGH CENTER camper shell is used...

it is NOT a anti sway device for towing.
_________

at this POINT the TRUCK will be READY for selecting a HITCH APPARATUS for towing....

clearly U might just tow on the ball withOUT ANYTHING extra...

lots of folks DO this and only a few trailers eXploDe each week set up this way...
______

get a clue, get a hitch...

or, u might opt for a device that many STICK between the trailer and truck...

there are LONG DETAILED very USEFUL threads here already on ALL of the major brands and STYLES of hitch apparatus (plural)....

EACH BRAND.

there are also great posts/threads on INSTALLation, SETup, DROP bar selecctions and so on....

so FIND and READ those posts and don't expect folks to REPOST this stuff every single time YOU think of a question...

love the ENTHUSIASM dude, but...

it'a bit like chicken little here/now shane...

and you may not realize it but folks may be doing EXACTLY what you suggest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
...Do my questions bother you????? If they do then don't post and move on...
which will UNfortunately result in occasionally or often NOT getting many useful answers TO those questions...

most of us REALLY do wanna be helpful, but it takes TIME to do that...

and REposting, REdirecting to the links and REplying where there is a history of IGNORING those helpful answers...

leads to "deaf ears"...

so do the homework, take MORE time to read what others have ALREADY written on the hitch options...

they choose wisely and LEARN HOW it's installed and set up, don't RELY on a shop for this very important issue...

or ignore the wisdom written here and listen to the echo...

hello.... (hello)....((hello)).....(((hello)))

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
When big government realizes how much money they're missing out on by not regulating the RV industry, hitches with sway-bars are going to be the first thing outlawed.

Don't wait for an emergency maneuver, or unexpected (instantaneous) sway event to realize your current hitch is inadequate.

In the hundreds of threads on this topic, the ONLY reason ever offered for NOT equipping a Hensley or ProPride was money- which, when discussing Airstreams, is pretty ironic.

And if you act now, we'll throw in a State of Wyoming jello mold..
no, seriously, I'm not a sales rep for either manufacturer- I'm simply speaking from experience.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #28
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
When big government realizes how much money they're missing out on by not regulating the RV industry, hitches with sway-bars are going to be the first thing outlawed.

Don't wait for an emergency maneuver, or unexpected (instantaneous) sway event to realize your current hitch is inadequate.

In the hundreds of threads on this topic, the ONLY reason ever offered for NOT equipping a Hensley or ProPride was money- which, when discussing Airstreams, is pretty ironic.

And if you act now, we'll throw in a State of Wyoming jello mold..
no, seriously, I'm not a sales rep for either manufacturer- I'm simply speaking from experience.
So what you are saying is Reese and Equalizer is an inadequate device for an airstream?

Pretty big statement there.

Just say'n.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote