Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Results of hitch choice from our first trip

Well, I figured I would post results since we have successfully completed our first trip.

We used the Reese round bar setup. The 12k# shank and hitch. A 10k# 2 5/16" ball, 800# round WD bars and a friction sway control (Husky brand which we already had).

We drove it a 2 and a half hour drive along 55MPH roads and interstates (I-95). We stayed at 55 and 65MPH and had rigs pass us. The truck actually seemed to drive smoother with the trailer in back than without. When we got a nice bounce over bumps or bridge connections, the WD leveled her off within one up and down. The sway control must have done its thing as we didn't get a bit of sway. I did take the sway bar off to backup and within the campground since we were making tight turns.

All in all, I was very impressed by the handling. I forgot it was back there most of the trip until I would look in the rearview mirror. The choice of using solar screens had an impact I didn't expect though. We couldn't see straight through the camper like we had been able to before and the screens blocked our view mostly.

We were getting about 18MPG in the truck (interstate driving). With the trailer we averaged 16MPG (not taking into account a little slower traveling).

Tadd, Beth, Grundgetta and Weeble
Our blog
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #16
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Sounds great!

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote