Old 04-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #1

1983 31' Excella
Rockledge , Florida
Getting proper weights.

Moving up to a 31' excella from a popup. Need advise on how to get proper weights at my local truck stop on my TV + AS

Ptanner62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Getting proper weights.

Ptanner62 - Iíll repost something I posted recently to try to help. Many threads here on the topic of CAT scale weights - search them for more info. Hereís an overview for starters:

First go here to observe the process of weighing, find scales near you, and download the app (assuming youíre going to a CAT scale)

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/

Youíre looking for 3 specific weights to get started - any order is fine just be sure you get one of each of the following all fully loaded for camping:

- truck alone (with passenger(s) and gear)

- truck with trailer attached, no weight distribution applied

- truck with trailer attached and full WD applied

I get those in reverse order, meaning, I go to the scales with what I expect to be max WD applied on my drive there - then thatís the first weigh. Itís VERY simple on the app - you donít even need to leave your truck.

Then I exit the scales, come back around, and line it up in front of the scales for the next weigh. I exit the truck, loosen all the WD and then drive the rig up on the platform for weigh #2 - on the app - choose REWEIGH as itís only $2 instead of the $12 or whatever the first weigh is.

Then I drive out to a spot where I can drop the trailer and head back with truck alone. I get it on the platform and do my next REWEIGH.

The site I linked you to will show you how to position your truck and trailer axles on the scales.

With those 3 weights, one of the things youíre looking for is the difference between the weight on the steer axle of the truck by itself, what happened to that weight when you put the trailer in it without WD, and with the amount of WD you applied, how much of the weight got restored to the front axle. Iíll attache images of my most recent weights as an example. In my tickets you can see attaching the trailer took 460# off my steer axle, and applying a certain amount of WD put 280# (or 61% of the 460) back on the steer axle.

My truck manual wants 50% FALR (front axle load restoration). Iíve had it closer to 100% and Iím not sure why Iím not at that same level this time - but thatís the fun of the scales. You can diagnose whatever you need to do to adjust because youíll have the data.

If your truck manual wants 50% or 100% or anything else, you can dial in what you need with your hitch.

After your third weight, if you do it in the order I do, youíll reconnect your trailer and if you wanted 100% FALR but only got 30%, you can now put more WD on and go back for another reweigh and see if you achieved the target. You can repeat until youíre satisfied. Each reweigh that day is only $2.

Thatís only one of the things youíre looking for - some say 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 weight on each axle is a target - Iím not sure I agree. But if your rig is squirrelly and you realize youíre not pushing enough to your front axle, you can test that out and see if that improves your ride. You can also make adjustments in where you put stuff in the trailer itself (more stuff over and on front of the axles vs behind the axles which would lighten your tongue weight which you want at 10-15% of the weight of your trailer - another target - I shoot for 15% to plant it pretty firmly).

Hope thatís of some help - things like a very level rig, proper tire pressure, etc all contribute as a system to improve stability. Scale weights can help analyze that a bit.

Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4801.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	338618Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4802.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	338619Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4803.JPG
Views:	16