Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Gettin' Hitched!

Umm no, not that kind. Having seen a couple rigs that have done the loop-d-loop and reading about other hitching issues, I am pondering how to approach rigging up the new (to me) F250. The new rig doesnt have so much as a reciever at this point so it is start from scratch there. No brake controller yet either. My weight distribution is functional but old. It has no cams just the bar and the chain to flip-hook connection. I wonder if I would be better served by a different weight distribution set up. I have also read some about airhitches- do they really protect the camper from jolting?

I guess I can pull everything off the old TV and put it on the new one, and I would be happy doing so cost wise; on the other hand, if something ought to be different, it seems now is the time.

Other information; the trailer is a '68 Trade Wind. And I am not thinking about going the Hensely route- to much money for not enough gain.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Umm no, not that kind. Having seen a couple rigs that have done the loop-d-loop and reading about other hitching issues, I am pondering how to approach rigging up the new (to me) F250. The new rig doesnt have so much as a reciever at this point so it is start from scratch there. No brake controller yet either. My weight distribution is functional but old. It has no cams just the bar and the chain to flip-hook connection. I wonder if I would be better served by a different weight distribution set up. I have also read some about airhitches- do they really protect the camper from jolting?

I guess I can pull everything off the old TV and put it on the new one, and I would be happy doing so cost wise; on the other hand, if something ought to be different, it seems now is the time.

Other information; the trailer is a '68 Trade Wind. And I am not thinking about going the Hensely route- to much money for not enough gain.
Hey GD. an F250 with no hitch? Really? That doesn't seem right...
anyway, WD has not changed much in my lifetime, what you have works, then use it. An F250 is more than enough truck for your AS. The only thing I might add is I don't know what you have for anti-sway. I use an Equalizer which is WD and anti-sway in one hitch ($399). I am not sure you need anything more than what you have though...
I would not use an air ride, or any type of extension (bike rack, canoe extension, etc) they all reduce your hitch capacity by some % and I'll take all the safety factor I can get.
Oh yeah, Prodiy brake controllers are great (widely used here) for ~$100

Bill
Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Hey GD. an F250 with no hitch? Really? That doesn't seem right...
Bill
Strange aint it? The truck does have a heavy duty bumper hitch but that is it. It also looks to me to have had some sort of hitch that was bed mounted at some point.

Quote:
The only thing I might add is I don't know what you have for anti-sway
The hitch has a friction sway bar.

Quote:
Oh yeah, Prodiy brake controllers are great (widely used here) for ~$100
I was halfway thinking about getting the newer one the P3?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Strange aint it? The truck does have a heavy duty bumper hitch but that is it. It also looks to me to have had some sort of hitch that was bed mounted at some point.
Hey Gen

If the truck is from OK, I bet it had a ball hitch mounted for a goose neck. It would've hauled hay, wire, and most anything else.

How's your first semste going? How many committees have you been asked to join. Before my wife got tenure she was asked, if you want to call it that, to join or head a bunch of them. Now that she's tenured and full she has no qualms at saying no. I hope you enjoy the life as much as she is.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
bumper

The rear bumper on the new TV is one of the tall/deep kind that drops well below the normal distance from the frame. Im not sure what this type hitch is called, sorry. Anyway, how do you go about mounting the reciever hitch with this type of bumper?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Rodney, go to your local truck store and buy a standard chrome bumper and have them mount it. That will solve the bumper depth/height issue. Then buy a class IV reciever... there are any number of manufacturers for them, and other than the weld/finish quality they're pretty much all the same.

I'd pick either the Reese Dual Cam or the Equal-I-zer (I really like Reese hitches m'self) versions of the sway control WDH with the appropriate weight bars for your tongue weight, and get the new P3 for your controller.

Happy hunting!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Getti'n Hitched

I think I'd try 'er out for a year or so. See how she does on clean'en,cook'en and raien chickens
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
hitch

Rodney,
If you have the time come over here...about two and a half hours...I have a friend who has a trailer business on Hwy 82 in Gainsville. He has lots of new, take offs if you want an inexpensive replacement hitchs and bumpers. He also has used reese tow set up. I can send his phone no. to you if want to check. You need to get set up.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Rodney,
If you have the time come over here...about two and a half hours...I have a friend who has a trailer business on Hwy 82 in Gainsville. He has lots of new, take offs if you want an inexpensive replacement hitchs and bumpers. He also has used reese tow set up. I can send his phone no. to you if want to check. You need to get set up.
Sounds like someone I should know. I hate to loose this bumper though, its pretty sweet. I bet it isnt a big deal for a hitch guy to work with.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Getting Hitched

They cut a hole in the bumper for the reciever to pass thru.
I would then put a Reese Duel Cam.
The controler is out of my league as I use tow command.
Best of luck.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Your Truck does not have a reciever? Thats confusing! A good hitch shop canput one on for you. the frame should be all set to just bolt one on. Go to etrailer.com and do some looking around. Make sure you get at least a Class IV hitch.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
_

. , .
hi rodney

before jumping into airhitches...

at the very least get class 4 receiver and new mounting hardware...

i'm with roger, ditch the current bumper and replace it with a standard chrome one.

leaf springs...

your 250 has leafs front and rear right?

and apparently was used for towing a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer?

while it is possible the original leafs are fine,

it is also possible they are fatigued and sagging some...

old harsh riding leafs may last forever, but on newer trucks in the 250 class fatigue is common....

you can locate the original specs for ride height, or max out the bed payload and measure drop.

i looked at 2 trucks today like yours and both had 'reverse sag' on the front leafs and 3-4 inches of sag on the rears...

and other big issue for ride quality and harness is tires.

what's on it now? do they have much life left and what tire pressures will you run?

tire adjustments are the quckest and easiest way to improve trailer ride quality.

have fun tricking out the truck!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I'm also trying to outfit a new truck for this 31ft Soveriegn. It's a Ford and has the towing set up, but I want to get the best brake controller. Has anyone tried the Reese brake controller? I have the Prodigy in my Tundra and I like it, but the Ford's in Raleigh, NC and they don't seem to have anyone who will install the Prodigy for a reasonable price. U-Haul wanted $90.00 to put in the Prodigy and the RV place wants $25.00 to put in the Reese. Can't find much info on the Reese on this site.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I'm also trying to outfit a new truck for this 31ft Soveriegn. It's a Ford and has the towing set up, but I want to get the best brake controller. Has anyone tried the Reese brake controller? I have the Prodigy in my Tundra and I like it, but the Ford's in Raleigh, NC and they don't seem to have anyone who will install the Prodigy for a reasonable price. U-Haul wanted $90.00 to put in the Prodigy and the RV place wants $25.00 to put in the Reese. Can't find much info on the Reese on this site.
You can get a harness adapter for your Ford, ifit doesn't already have one. IIRC, it already has the correct wire colors on the harness, so wiring should be straightforward if you want to do it yourself.
BTW, I have a Tekonsha Sentinel on our Ford, pulling our Sovereign.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #15

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Juel,
Is the truck already wired for towing? If so you or your SO can do it. It is easy.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, it's got the towing package and this little pigtail thingy in a bag in the glove compartment for wiring the controller, so I guess the answer is yes. You think we can do it?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
yes! finding the plug was the hard part. go for it!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Can you follow instructions? tell red from blue from green from white?
Then you can do it! Use crimp connectors no wire nuts!
The connector for the pigtail should be right near the drivers right knee. you may have to remove the fuse panel.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you get the correct cable for your truck, it's plug and pray. I put one in my new Tundra in 30 minutes....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks for all your input. I ordered the Prodigy, and I ordered the plug-in connector for the 2007 Ford that should make it so easy I could possibly do it. My husband says it should be no problem for him, so I'm glad he doesn't read the Forum. I think I've made us look a little like boobs here! Thanks for all your help. Now about the dual-cam that's on this trailer...oops that's another problem I'm not sure I want to get into right now. We'll have the old equalizer hitch to fall back on. Something we're comfortable with. These modern contraptions!!!!!