Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Installed a Curt receiver on the front of my 2012 Ram 2500HD after driving off the dealers lot "just in case" along with the Curt 15069 receiver rated 2,550 pounds tongue weight and 17,000 pound trailer.

If you receiver is rated at 2,550 lbs tongue weight and your hitch is rated at 500 lbs, seems like you just paid more for a receiver that will buy you absolutely nothing, unless it’s prettier than a standard hitch then at least you can appreciate its beauty.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Caravanner
Some town , Tennessee
I never mounted a front hitch on a vehicle for any purpose except moving a trailers with ease. Your truck looks kind of low in the photos if you rear end someone your going to total your truck, especially at high way speeds. If I was your insurance company I would not pay that claim personalIy.
Twinkie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
No desire to go to CA. No need to be concerned.��
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We towed our old Sovereign, with our bikes on a rack on the front of our Titan tv the length of California in 2007 and nary a glance from any sort of law enforcement. Maybe just lucky but it seems the sort of thing that would be way down the list of violations worth an officer's time...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the tongue weight of our 2014 31’ Classic was about 1,375 pounds, the failure prone factory receiver rating of 1,200 pounds was not up to the task. I wanted a good margin and the Curt 15049 allows me to tow anything I need to within the truck’s data label ratings.

We removed the factory receiver as there were imperfect welds on one side to the frame of the truck.

Over built is always better than under built in my opinion.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
...and yes, with a front hitch one can stuff a trailer into some pretty absurd spots. If you saw where my 31' is right now you'd scratch your head bald wondering how I got it there.

Ian

I need to watch a video on that, I guess with the TV front turn wheels Being so close to the trailer allows for a sharper turn angle ...?
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:49 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
I need to watch a video on that, I guess with the TV front turn wheels Being so close to the trailer allows for a sharper turn angle ...?
Not really, in conventional backing the rear wheels act as a pivot point, so the front and trailer always have to fold around then, with the front hitch it is direct "rear wheel steering", the distance doesn't really matter too much, much like how a forklift works. With the front hitch you could almost spin the trailer around 360° on whichever inside wheel the turn is going around.

The caution to using a front hitch is the stresses that you are able to apply to the trailer wheels and axles, when pulling it just follows so it does so at it's normal rate, but pushing it you can overly force it, when planning for any severe maneuvers it is best to max/over inflate the trailer tires, speaking about a tandem axle.

YouTube front hitch, there are many of them.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Since the tongue weight of our 2014 31’ Classic was about 1,375 pounds, the failure prone factory receiver rating of 1,200 pounds was not up to the task. I wanted a good margin and the Curt 15049 allows me to tow anything I need to within the truck’s data label ratings.

We removed the factory receiver as there were imperfect welds on one side to the frame of the truck.

Over built is always better than under built in my opinion.

I think by receiver you meant hitch, not the part the ball goes on. The part attached to the vehicle is the hitch, the part attached to the ball/trailer is the receiver.

If you actually replaced the hitch with one rated way higher then I’m all for it. My TV is way overkill for my AS or anything else I’m gonna pull and I like it that way.

An over built receiver going into an under built hitch doesn’t buy you anything. But overbuilt everything buys you lots of peace of mind.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #49
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiwvu View Post
I think by receiver you meant hitch, not the part the ball goes on. The part attached to the vehicle is the hitch, the part attached to the ball/trailer is the receiver.

If you actually replaced the hitch with one rated way higher then I’m all for it. My TV is way overkill for my AS or anything else I’m gonna pull and I like it that way.

An over built receiver going into an under built hitch doesn’t buy you anything. But overbuilt everything buys you lots of peace of mind.
Your terminology is incorrect and can lead to confusion.

The receiver is the square steel tube that the draw bar (ball mount for small trailers) goes into and is attached to the TV. (Usually 2” or 2 1/2” square.) The receiver has a class rating (III, IV, or V) that indicates it’s strength. The hitch head attaches to the draw bar and incorporates the ball. The coupler is the part on the trailer a-frame that goes onto the ball.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
Front hitch on tv?

I agree that there are terminology issues, and think that different people call different parts different things.

The attached seems pretty standard from multiple sites. And according to this we’re all partially wrong.

[ATTACH]302521
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8331.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	302521  
Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
The thing a magig mounts to the front of the truck and the doo hickey goes inside the thing a magig and fastened with a what chu call it. If this stuff is solid you should be good for pushing but having the breakaway cord hickey attached to the front of your ride may be a good idea just in case.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
The thing a magig mounts to the front of the truck and the doo hickey goes inside the thing a magig and fastened with a what chu call it. If this stuff is solid you should be good for pushing but having the breakaway cord hickey attached to the front of your ride may be a good idea just in case.

Pretty sure there is at least one blamit in there as well. [emoji3]
Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
No wonder I always get confused, it's magig, I've always thought it was majig
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
No wonder I always get confused, it's magig, I've always thought it was majig

Both are correct, depends on the application and context in which it is used... LOL
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have had front hitches on a number of tow vehicles and used them for carrying bikes for the last 20 years with never an issue.

If I had $6000 bikes that were my pride and joy I might not do it, but we just have a couple of inexpensive mountain bikes. They can get dirty when traveling depending on weather conditions, but soon cleaned at destination.

I did find that when we had the hitch installed on our present vehicle - 2500HD diesel - the bikes were riding a little too high, so I modified the bike rack to drop them down so that the seats/bars are "just" visible above the line of the hood so that I can be sure all is well with the bikes as we drive.

Installing and pulling the hitch pin to secure and remove the bike rack is a minor issue as I need to lie on the ground under the front of the truck to reach the pin behind the bumper. I just carry tarp to throw down when I need to do this - just takes a minute.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Brian,
I am curious about which hitch and bike rack you have. I am installing one soon on my GMC 2500 and don't want it to raise the bikes too high. I am looking at the Draw-Tite model.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie59 View Post
I.... Your truck looks kind of low in the photos if you rear end someone your going to total your truck, especially at high way speeds. If I was your insurance company I would not pay that claim personalIy.
If he rear-ends someone...especially at highway speeds.... he's going to total his truck anyway, and if you were the insurance company you'd have to prove his hitch not-only violated the policy but also caused the accident.... Ins. policies are contracts....and if the ins. co. failed to pay the claim they'd be in violation of state laws, their license, their insurance contract, as well as ethics. The claimants attorney will earn a nice fee.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I installed the Curt front receiver hitch on my 2012 Tundra for the specific purpose of maneuvering the AS into tight places. Have not had the occasion to use it yet.....
Shinytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
I carry a small motorcycleAttachment 302258

This looks like a Honda 90. I have a collection of Honda CT70’s myself. I was thinking about buying a new PCX150 to take on the road. It has a top speed of 62mph - but I was thinking about putting it in the bed under a cap to keep it clean and dry.
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #60
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Front hitch on tv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak2006 View Post
This looks like a Honda 90. I have a collection of Honda CT70’s myself. I was thinking about buying a new PCX150 to take on the road. It has a top speed of 62mph - but I was thinking about putting it in the bed under a cap to keep it clean and dry.

It is a Honda 90

The front hitch is a Curt. I made the carrier myself.

Bed is too full for bike most times and at 200# it is a little heavy to lift in and out. I have done it but easier with the hitch
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote