Old 04-28-2003, 09:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
friction vs. dual cam sway

I'm in the process of getting my 31' ready to move for the first time. Here's my question: The trailer came with a friction sway control device the previous owner used with the trailer. However, while looking for my hitch setup, a dealer told me I should only consider using the dual cam sway control. I know it would probably be better to use, but are there any out there that use a friction sway control on a 31'er?? If so, could you share your experience with it?

If I don't absolutely have to spend the extra money, I'll stick with what I have if possible.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Friction sway

In walking around at two different Airstream parks and looking at the various rigs, I see plenty of sizeable rigs with only friction sway bars. A very few rigs use two friction sway bars.

If I were starting from scratch, I would buy a dual-cam, but I already had the hitch and bars so I went with a single Reese friction bar. I have never regretted my decision.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Austin , Texas

I have both the friction sway and the Reese Dual-cam on my 27' Overlander. I get better results out of my friction sway than my dual cam because I hardly even load up the bars that much, my F-250 can handle the tongue weight with no problem and don't want the rear of my A/S any lower than it is. I believe the Dual Cam is designed to work the best with the highest amount of tension you put on the bars, that is what keeps the cams in their place. I really only need it for sway prevention I don't think it is of much benefit as lightly loaded as I set it.

Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have a 31 ft and use the Reese friction anti sway bar.
I have not used anything else to compare it to but it seems to do a good job for me. Good enough I'm not thinking about changing for something else even though I've read good things about other set ups on this forum.
I tighten it down as tight as I can with both hands, not sure how much force you should use but that works for me.

FYI...I was told you can do damage if you back up to sharp towards the bar but when I posted that warning to someone else I got a response that said if properly installed that can't happen !!

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Thanks for the comments. Based on them, I think I'll stick with the friction sway control for now and save the $$!

Mine is a Husky. Anyone out there have instructions on how the friction sway bar should be used. Proper setup, tightness, etc.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:44 PM   #6
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've been told that if the camper is less than 20' friction is the way to go. You won't get the full use vs. price of a dual cam in that senario.

If your trailer is larger than 20', dual cam is the way to go.

I heard those same comments from 4 different hitch installing placed.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:09 PM   #7
Another site that I had missed. Don't know were I found it: it's about hitches
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master
I use the single side sway bar on my 31' AS and it appears to work well, tightened snugly. However I do not use it when it's raining or when backing up. So far, no problems.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
dual cam

I have used the reese dual cam for over 6 years and have had excellent results. Follow the instructions to the letter when installing or the cams will not ride like they are supposed to.
I think this is almost as good as the Pullrite hitch for a lot less money. Drawback to the Pullrite is loss of spare tire and exhaust modification.
Have used the Reese dual sway out west every year and do not have any problem.

rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote