Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Since there are two threads on this subject, I will post it here too.

I have a ProPride and found a working solution. Here is my pic:

The first measure (license tag to hitch ball center) cannot be done with a ProPride. You have to use the 16" maximum measure on the Ford computer and then measure 16" out from your license plate to the 16" point on the ProPride. Mine was just in front of the PP yoke shield (metal part in front of silver caps in pic). The other measures were from that point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	295826  
Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #22
Clonemaster 66

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , North Carolina
Angry Partial sticker has problems

Hi All,
I posted the original question last year. Since, I have put the sticker with one corner under the propane cover. It works sometimes, but often loses the connection as I back up on too tight a turn. Kind of "gave up" on the fancy Assist Feature and learned to reverse the steering in my mind and watch my wheels (like I learned as a teen towing cars for AAA). Ford Motor Co. was NO HELP in this issue!
Leon Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Works often, but gets lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I guess you must not have the space I had on my 25' Flying Cloud. Even with it located as shown below, which was within the Ford specification, the system lost it's sync to the sticker on occasion. Great gizmo when it did work however.

Although I see that placing the sticker on the LP cover has apparently worked for some, Ford does say that it needs to be placed horizontally. Good luck.
I have a 27' Globetrotter. My sticker install looks exactly like your picture, with the corner under the tank cover. This works great, until it loses the sticker....

I wonder if perhaps the system is getting confused by the reflection of the sticker in the shiny tank cover.... I plan to do a test to put some sort of antireflective cover in that location so there is no reflection and see what happens...

I'll post results.
Alex.
Omnial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Holyoke , Massachusetts
Hello Alex

I'll save you the trouble. I have tried putting some cardboard temporarily in front of the propane tanks. It didn't make a difference.

My backup assist works about 50-75% of the time. It always works at the campground but at home where I have a very difficult backup with grade changes and an extreme turn it loses the sticker mid way through. Sometimes it picks the sticker back when when I gradually straighten the trailer back up.
hsgsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
We're glad we stumbled upon this thread as we have a new F150 and are getting ready to set up our back up assist. We do not have the Pro Pride hitch and I think we have a bit more room on our hitch to affix the sticker, but the tips mentioned will be helpful.

At least with now having the back up camera, my husband is much less aggravated while trying to hitch/unhitch/park, so I am hoping with the camera AND the back up assist, he may even be happy when we arrive! If not, there is always adult beverages to help...
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Look at the "Ford Expedition Max" thread for more info about this. Specifically, I posted a photo there to show how I dealt with the reflections
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #27

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Cobb , California
Is this still working? Any issues?
SlvrBufalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Seems to be working now

Just a follow up to my previous post....

It seems to be working now. The system either couldn't find the sticker, or lost it part way through a backup sequence.

I put some duct tape on the propane cover and jack to minimize shadows and that really didn't seem to make a difference.

I also rechecked my measurements and discovered the distance from center of ball to center of sticker was out an by almost an inch. Ever since I changed that setting it's been working just fine. That measurement is tricky to take as it's deceiving where the ball center is actually located when just looking at the trailer hitch; I had to get down low and visually project upwards from the ball center up to the hitch, which was farther back from the front of the hitch that I originally thought.

As a reminder, part of my sticker is under the propane cover, but that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Works like a charm now.
Omnial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:50 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Is this still working? Any issues?
Yes, mine works. the truck does lose the sticker on turns sometimes. I believe the proPride pivoting confuses it; however, it does very well on a near straight backup
Old 08-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Hope this discussion isn't dead ... I have questions about the backup assist

I have had my F150 for nearly a year, never installed the sticker, haven't done much towing while I had my F150. But now I'm about to acquire a larger/longer Airstream, and I want to explore the backup assist.

The thing is, I don't understand what it's supposed to do. Does that little knob just replace the steering wheel so that I don't have to convert left to right and right to left? If so, I'm not sure of the point.

Does the backup assist somehow actually park the trailer in the spot I want it? If so, how does it "know" where I want it? And how does it know what to do when there are multiple twists and turns--like, if you're backing into a space requiring a backing-to-the-right turn and then a left-right jog to avoid some obstacle?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
The steering wheel steers the front of the truck when going forward, and the trailer follows. The backup assist knob steers the rear of the trailer when backing up, and the truck follows.

It is very useful when I back my 6' utility trailer. It is a waste of time with my Airstream.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Best for backing up straight

I have been using the back up assist with our F-150 and 25' Flying Cloud for almost two years now and have been pretty happy with it. It can get stupid at times probably due to sun/shadows, etc., but I feel the most valuable part of the system is getting the truck and trailer to line up in a straight line.

Before using the system, I always felt like I was never able to back straight, probably because I was over compensating with my steering wheel movements. With Trailer Back-up Assist, all you do is let your hand off of the knob and everything lines up perfectly straight.

This has been particularly useful with launching our boat. The ramp is probably 75 yards long and the lanes are narrow to the water. Once I get the rig lined up in one of the lanes, I just go "hands-off". Certainly makes you look like a pro.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm not sure any of that answers my question, but that's because I don't understand the system. If all it does is align the truck and trailer, how does it help backup at all? Maybe it would help with a boat on a boatramp :there's usually plenty of room to get the rig straightened out and turned around. But every Airstream backing /parking situation I've ever seen required backing and turning at the same time... Into a back - in camping spot, into my driveway. How does it help there?
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #34
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Go to YouTube, type in “F150 Backup Assist “ and enjoy the many videos you will find.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
It steers the back of the trailer, and the truck follows. It doesn't matter if the path is straight or turning, the truck follows the trailer just like the trailer usually follows the truck.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I'm not sure any of that answers my question, but that's because I don't understand the system. If all it does is align the truck and trailer, how does it help backup at all? Maybe it would help with a boat on a boatramp :there's usually plenty of room to get the rig straightened out and turned around. But every Airstream backing /parking situation I've ever seen required backing and turning at the same time... Into a back - in camping spot, into my driveway. How does it help there?
First of all, the F150 has an electrically (not hydraulically) assisted steering system; IOW, an electric motor is used to help turn the wheel rather than hydraulic pressure. That's why you are able to control the steering with a knob on the dash; the knob operates the electric motor. The idea behind the backup system is that you turn the knob left to move the trailer left and right to turn it right rather than having to program yourself to turn the steering wheel opposite to where you want the trailer to go. Additionally, it allows you to theoretically monitor the trailer's direction using guide lines on the in-dash monitoring screen rather than having to look over your shoulder or watch the mirrors (although that's still a good idea from time to time).

I found that the system worked reasonably well in some situations. Two issues I had were that 1) if you accidentally touch the steering wheel the system disables and has to be re-engaged and 2) under certain conditions of alternating bright sunlight and shade or if the angle between the trailer and TV is fairly severe the system can also disable. If it quits for either of the above reasons and has to be reset to reacquire the sticker while you're in the middle of a backup maneuver it can be pretty frustrating. After a few experiences like that I just relied on the old fashioned method and left the system off.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Anyone have experience using this system with F250 of F350? I’ve had my F350 for 2 years but never bothered setting it up. Significant difference between the F150 and the Super Duty’s is they don’t have the backup knob - you need to manipulate the steering wheel directly. I believe the backup system gives some additional guidance on the rear view video screen, but it is unclear how helpful it really is. I think I’d rather have my eyes on the mirrors rather than watching the backup camera...
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steverino View Post
Anyone have experience using this system with F250 of F350? I’ve had my F350 for 2 years but never bothered setting it up. Significant difference between the F150 and the Super Duty’s is they don’t have the backup knob - you need to manipulate the steering wheel directly. I believe the backup system gives some additional guidance on the rear view video screen, but it is unclear how helpful it really is. I think I’d rather have my eyes on the mirrors rather than watching the backup camera...
I set up backup assist with the sticker on our Classic and F250 but, as you point out, it functions without a control knob since the F250 still has traditional hydraulic steering assist and the knob only works with the electric motor assist. Anyway, after my hit and miss experience with the system in the F150 I wasn't expecting too much and ended up having some of the same issues with "dropouts" on a couple of occasions. I've never used it again.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:49 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Ford has evidently been working on the software for this system over the years. For “reasons” I had to trade in my 2016 F150 XLT Supercrew for an identical 2019 F150 and after this summer’s six week adventure with our FC25 I can say the difference is night and day.

On my 2016 F150, the backup system would fairly consistently loose the sticker at the slightest provocation. Either too tight a turn, lighting issues, going over a bump, etc. It got pretty frustrating. On the new truck we’ve seen far, far fewer drops. It really works the way you would expect.

My wife and I are very pleased and confident about getting into some pretty tight spaces. We switch places and she takes over the driver’s seat and I talk to her over a walkie talkie when we get to our campsite. We just use the usual simple commands of how I, as the spotter, want the back of the trailer to go (straight, driver partial, driver full, passenger partial, passenger full.). We get the trailer in it’s spot on the first try most of the time. I’ve been able to use the trailer backup camera sometimes for simple maneuvers but we feel better having someone outside watching of branches, rocks, and trees stumps.

With the new truck, I no longer needed to fudge the measurements when setting up the system. On my 2016 F150 Airstreams, with their short tongue length and propane tank location, were outside it’s official allowed dimensions. I installed the sticker on a 2x1 aluminum tube as shown to help. I just left it like this for the new truck but I’m not sure it’s necessary anymore.

I can say now that this system alone is reason to choose a Ford over another brand TV if backing up a trailer is on your list of anxiety producing things. It’s cheaper than marriage counseling.

I wouldn’t necessarily assume this would work with more exotic weight distribution hitches like the ProPride. The software is assuming the trailer is turning on the ball. You might get it to work, I’m not sure.

By the way, I heard that this knob system is coming to the F250 in 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BFA0815-2BAA-4AFC-8CA1-207CBA4C2721.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	351265  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Nice idea Daleyocum on adding the aluminum tubing to get the sticker in the correct relationship to the tow vehicle. I have all of the upper white square and part of the black underneath the propane cover and thankfully it still works, although it may contribute more to some of the "drops" that we've experienced when backing up.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote