Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Ford 2.5" receiver Problems

First of all, I apologize if this has been repeated before. I own a 2017 Diesel F-250 TV and have had a pretty significant issue with towing my 27FB 2017 Airstream. It’s the Ford hitch or maybe just the 2" adapter.

I knew from the beginning that my 2" Propride hitch had a little play with the receiver. The Ford 250 has a 2.5" receiver. Ford supplies an adapter that fits into the receiver to get to 2". The movement was a little disconcerting, but I'm off on a 6-week trip and had a short time to correct.

We've now traveled four weeks, and in checking the play once again, I was shocked. The hitch bar had about 3/4" play at the end. Left right up and down. I removed the bar from the receiver, and the receiver pin holes had worn to ovals. One thing I noticed was that the adapter from Ford had oval holes machined into it. Later Ford told me that it makes for easy pin insert.

I became concerned, so I took my truck to the ford garage. The service manager and one of the techs were shocked to see so much play and recommended I did not tow with it as it was not safe. I called Ford corporate as the service manager had no solutions to resolve the issue. He did not have another hitch, and I am stuck in the Shenandoah Valley.

Ford was very helpful over the phone, but could not grasp the issue at hand. They insisted that they could replace the hitch under warranty, but could not get a hitch to me for several days. The service manager put my components on several F-250's on the lot, and guess what, the same horrible play.

Ford corporate asked the service manager if there was a local machinist that could look at the problem. He directed me to a company 40 minutes away and off I went with Ford's approval. The machinist looked at the hitch and immediately saw the problem. Measuring the receiver, he said it was about 30 thousandths too large. The adapter was in his words, a joke. I ask if it could be welded or modified and he said no. The pin holes are rounded out and flared and no welding to reduce the receiver size would last. He told me to buy a third party hitch. Great!

Ford agreed with the diagnosis and said they would spring for another third party hitch for my truck. I made arrangements with a hitch company in the next stop, and the machinist put a grade 1 bolt with washers in the receiver to replace the pin. He said it would stop the pin from rounding out the hole more and make it more robust. He replaced the adapter with one he makes and used an airgun to tighten the bolt as much as he could. It did not solve the problem, but he said it would hold up for the rest of my trip.

I talked with Curt trailer hitches, and they said their tolerances are much better than the "Reese" hitch that Ford uses. I had the hitch installer in Charleston, SC order me one, and I arrived four days later to have it installed. Curt told me to use their 2" adapter to ensure a tighter fit. I added that to the invoice that was now approaching $700.

Installed in one hour and out the door! One problem, it was just as bad if not worse! I called Curt. "Well, looking at the dimensions, we allow for some freedom for the hitch, adapter, and bar to have some play in case it rusts and you have problems pulling it apart". Oh, that's nice.

My next call was to Shawn at ProPride hitch company. He knew about the problem. In fact, he was in the process of having 100 2.5" hitch bars manufactured just for this problem. I ordered one.

You could say I could have saved all this time by buying the 2.5" hitch bar from the beginning. That's why I am posting this here. Don't make my mistake. The Ford 2" adapter or any adapter will not work for long with your trailer. You are asking for trouble. Could I have continued to use the Ford hitch? No. The hitch was damaged. The Curt hitch is a much stronger hitch than the Ford. The hitch on a 250 is just behind the spare tire. There is not much room to make the receiver very long. It is about 8-9" long. Curt has beefed up the bracing around the receiver and quite frankly has done an excellent job compared to the Ford hitch. The Curts hitch weighs about 140 lbs.

The 2" adapter problem must be a problem across the entire hitch industry. Ford went to the 2.5" (and even 3") receiver to carry the 26,000 lbs pulling capacity. Little did I know that an adapter could cause so many problems. Don't make the mistake I made. Get a hitch bar that matches your receiver.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
2019 30' International

2019 30' International
Bolingbrook , Illinois
Hitchclamp

Turk,

I have a new Chevy 3500 with a similar 2.5" hitch. With the 2.5"=>2.0" sleeve, there is enough slop that I felt it was necessary to find a solution, or there would be accelerated wear from the components of the hitch slamming around. I ended up buying a HitchClamp:

https://www.hitchclamp.com/products/...-reducer-clamp

This anti-rattle clamp holds the Propride 2" hitch very firmly in one position so that it can't move around. It works very well and I would recommend.

I use a Hitchclamp for the 2" receiver in my Durango, else the hitch rattle will drive you nuts.

Wayne
wwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Strange! I towed a 27FB International Serenity for 4 years behind a Ford F-250 with a 2.5" hitch and I used the Ford supplied adapter. No problem whatsoever. I also didn't have near the wear that you are suggesting.

I now have a new F-250 KR and it came with a 3" hitch, so I have two adapters. One 2" to 2.5" and one 2.5" to 3". But both fit snug with no slop. In fact I couldn't even fit two wraps of standard electrical tape between the hitches. So the tolerance must be less than 1/16"
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Strange! I towed a 27FB International Serenity for 4 years behind a Ford F-250 with a 2.5" hitch and I used the Ford supplied adapter. No problem whatsoever. I also didn't have near the wear that you are suggesting.

I now have a new F-250 KR and it came with a 3" hitch, so I have two adapters. One 2" to 2.5" and one 2.5" to 3". But both fit snug with no slop. In fact I couldn't even fit two wraps of standard electrical tape between the hitches. So the tolerance must be less than 1/16"
Wow! that is not my experience at all! Things obviously have changed.

Tom & Doty
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
I have been towing a 27FB for seven years with a 2011 F250 with 2 1/2 Ford factory hitch using the 2 inch Ford adapter. I have a Reese dual cam weight distribution hitch. Over 46,000 miles towing this combination.

When I first started towing I noticed a little wiggle in the adapter. I temporarily wrapped the adapter with electrical tape to obtain a snug fit. I then did some research and found a product called the “Hitch Vise”. It mechanically clamps the hitch shank securely to the truck’s receiver eliminating play. In over 45,000 miles of travel I’ve seen no signs of wear on the holes in the hitch receiver, the adapter, or the shank. I’ve also seen no signs of wear in the receiver opening. There is also no play in the shank.

I agree the Ford adapter should be made to fit tighter in the receiver. However I am pleased with the Hitch Vise and perceive it offers a viable solution for eliminating shank play in the receiver on my rig. If I was seeing wear I would have the adapter welded to the receiver or buy a 2 1/2 inch shank.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
My Ram 2500 had a very sloppy insert so I welded in 2 pieces of angle iron to make a tight 2" hole. I will never have a use for a 2 1/2" hitch and I don't leave the head in to rust up solid.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Hello Turk. I did a Thread on this exact situation. It is on the Forum somewhere in the last 18 months. I looked but could not find it. I went from a Tundra with a 2" sleeve to a F350 with a 2.5" that used the sleeve to reduce it to a very sloppy fit.

I eventually went to a 2.5" shank, removing the 2" shank. That is the best option. Anyone who says otherwise, great. I changed mine immediately on my Equalizer Hitch and do not regret it at all.

If someone can find it, please make mention on what page it can be found.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Thanks Turk, for this thread. I've also been using the 2" adapter in the 2 1/2" receiver on my 2017 F350. After reading your post I went out and inspected the receiver, and yes, I am seeing some slight elongation of the pin holes. It appears not as severe as your case.

I'm ordering a 2.5" shank immediately, and will inquire to Ford to see about warranty replacement of the receiver.

Steve
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Its just my opinion, but I don’t think that 3/4” of movement at the end of the stinger would create perceivable problem.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:57 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Its just my opinion, but I don’t think that 3/4” of movement at the end of the stinger would create perceivable problem.

Your steering while driving TV solo is rock solid.

The AS has arguably fill in the blank best hitch system made on it.

Now connect the two via a farm wagon grade coupling full of slop. No offense to farm wagons.

I wasn’t impressed with the clearance sliding fit on my receiver to hitch. Made full length stainless steel shims for three sides one two side the other single sided.

Noticeably calmed down the steering on TV, it tracked.

If I lost those shims someday? Right back to my bench and make replacements.

To each his own.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
I got the 2½" shank for my Blue Ox hitch and it's been working great. Only down side is the weight. The assembly weighs close to 60 lbs.

I fabricated a strong wooden tray/frame assembly to help in moving the hitch on and off the truck's receiver, and give a place to store it when not in use. Now my wife and I can easily move the heavy monster around without wrestling with it:
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Now connect the two via a farm wagon grade coupling full of slop. No offense to farm wagons.

That's funny! The machinist I went to did a lot of custom work for farmers and their wagons. He said, "They would never accept the slop and would bring back the next day!".

From the comment earlier, I don't think the slop would be the issue at first either (after all, the Propride moves all over the place anyway), but the damage being done to the hitch receiver and the pin. I regret I did not do a video showing the slop and the flared holes. I left the hitch with the installer.

Tom & Doty
Old 06-17-2018, 05:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
This is the part I ordered. Propride does not have a picture of the 2.5" version on their site, so this is the 2".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch_Bar_Receiver_End__60460.1366383460.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	314217  

Tom & Doty
Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Turk123 glad I saw this post. I have a 2017 F250KR with a 2.5 inch receiver. 2019 Globetrotter on order, and am ordering a Pro Pride hitch for it.

I just checked the fit of my 2 inch adapter and there is a lot of play between it and the 2.5 inch receiver both vertically and laterally.

I've been trying to decide wether to order a 2 inch or 2.5 inch hitch bar. You've just made the decision for me, thanks!

The thread Ray Eklund refrenced is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...er-153099.html

Seems this problem is not just a Ford issue or just an adapter issue.
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hitch Receiver Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
I have been towing a 27FB for seven years with a 2011 F250 with 2 1/2 Ford factory hitch using the 2 inch Ford adapter. I have a Reese dual cam weight distribution hitch. Over 46,000 miles towing this combination.

When I first started towing I noticed a little wiggle in the adapter. I temporarily wrapped the adapter with electrical tape to obtain a snug fit. I then did some research and found a product called the “Hitch Vise”. It mechanically clamps the hitch shank securely to the truck’s receiver eliminating play. In over 45,000 miles of travel I’ve seen no signs of wear on the holes in the hitch receiver, the adapter, or the shank. I’ve also seen no signs of wear in the receiver opening. There is also no play in the shank.

I agree the Ford adapter should be made to fit tighter in the receiver. However I am pleased with the Hitch Vise and perceive it offers a viable solution for eliminating shank play in the receiver on my rig. If I was seeing wear I would have the adapter welded to the receiver or buy a 2 1/2 inch shank.
Below are some photos of the Hitch Vise installed on my truck. The company producing the Hitch Vise is Hitch Rider. Here is a link to the website page for the Hitch Vise:

Hitch Vise Website Link
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2239.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	314222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2240.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	314223  

WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Unfortunately, every adapter you have to use will add some looseness. Unless I "needed" the weight capacity of a 2.5" or 3" receiver (and a matching hitch), I would remove it and install the receiver I need. (In your case, a 2".) Truck manufacturers don't do their customers any favors by installing these receivers that almost everyone has to adapt down to a smaller size. They will always add movement and the movement will slowly increase as the wear naturally occurs. Some of the devices available to mitigate the "slop" will help, but make it a real PIA to remove the hitch when you need to. Sorry about your trouble. The risk of actually losing your trailer from a total pin failure is probably small, but the extra movement is not good for towing stability in general. (Sway control/elimination)
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #17
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Not sure why but my 2017 F250 came with a 2.5" hitch. I guess I got lucky. No issues so far.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Henderson , Nevada
2.5 inch receiver problem

Yes indeed CHEVY 2500HD diesel has the same problem as Ford. My stock receiver with insert to 2 inch hitch wore holes in an oval to a point it became unsafe to tow. After much consideration I replaced receiver on the truck with Curtis 2 inch receiver. I beliver I towed Airstream 25ft Safari more than 70,000 miles with this issue. Curtis makes a superior product to stock unit. Curtis is much heavy steel beefer receiver.
utah bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Not sure why but my 2017 F250 came with a 2.5" hitch. I guess I got lucky. No issues so far.

Big trucks pull heavier loads. I would believe the F150 has a 2" sleeve. Toyota Tundra's have a 2" sleeve (it was a tight fit, as well, to the 2" shank). I also heard that there are 3" sleeves on some Fords. The 2.5" sleeve/shank must handle about anything. I suspect... that the F250/350 sleeve on the hitch is a bit... off from their source of origin.

I had to order the 2.5" shank from Equalizer, as the local Denver, Colorado dealer did not keep them in stock. So ordered it on the Internet and it came, without packing, with a wired shipping label via UPS. The shank was perfect. The UPS guy was not concerned the wind would blow this off the porch.

There still was some slop, up and down. I cut a steel shim and insert it... before attaching the trailer. I scanned it to show the 'hammering' it gets just with a tiny bit of slop. This shim cannot be moved once the trailer is connected and the 1000# bars are in place.

You would be led to believe it is snug and tight when using the reducer, trailer attached. Once you get moving... the slop is creating a hammer and anvil.

Before taking the adapter sleeve out and replacing the shank... travel on a undulating road... listen to the hitch noises. The large pin that holds it all into the sleeve is gritty from wear from the edges of the sleeve, as well.

But then again... if your 'sleeve' is not having the steel beaten out of it... yours fit much better into the sleeve than mine!

This stainless steel shim is or was... 7.5" long and 1.75" wide. The hammered width is up to 2.25" wide. I curled one end so it would not slide forward, and it also keeps the shim from sliding out when traveling. One edge is being forced AROUND the side of the shank and has a sharp thin edge. You would be led to believe a Blacksmith is making a knife out of this on an anvil.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	book 2.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	314272   Click image for larger version

Name:	book.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	314273  

Old 06-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ray

My shims cover the top, bottom and one side. I see evidence of some minor pounding like yours but no where nearly like yours.

The shim is trying to support on full length, good.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote