Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
what I've noticed is that the 5/8 inch set screws, which secure the L-brackets, frequently loosen up.
On mine, one always loosens up and the other doesn't. Whether I tighten the loose one with a wrench or my fingers it stays tight for the same amount of time and then loosens. Since this borders on the supernatural, I live with it and don't want to mess with forces I don't understand.

Friday, thanks for trying to explain it. I can't get past how I can see the bars levering weight distribution, but chains are beyond me. Probably I have to think about it more, but am too lazy to do so. I can see how the chains are tightened on one side and loosened on the other when there's a turn. It looks like there's a spring inside the red thing. That provides sway control. I got the impression the Andersen needs adjustments each time it is put on, but maybe I misread.

I'm not sure why the Canadian gov't has a policy to keep your dollar expensive—seems to hurt exports and makes it less likely Americans will visit. And you still pay extra for things from the US—sort of like foreign aid to the US. Ten years ago the Canadian dollar was about 2/3 the US dollar and traveling in Canada was a bargain, but for you, coming to the US must have been very, very expensive. Several years ago I read cross border traffic was way down, possibly because it is so much more difficult to do (difficult to come to the US, not the other way). I hope you can get Andersen to realize the Canadian dollar is now worth $1.01 US.

Gene

Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
remember; righty tighty? there are right hand threads on both sides, so on one side the set-screws will tend to tighten and on the opposite loosen. this is how it was explained to me.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes, now that you mention it, I think it is just one side that loosens up. I see that the new ones utilize 2 bolts to secure each L-bracket, so maybe that problem has been solved.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
On mine, one always loosens up and the other doesn't. Whether I tighten the loose one with a wrench or my fingers it stays tight for the same amount of time and then loosens. Since this borders on the supernatural, I live with it and don't want to mess with forces I don't understand.

Friday, thanks for trying to explain it. I can't get past how I can see the bars levering weight distribution, but chains are beyond me. Probably I have to think about it more, but am too lazy to do so. I can see how the chains are tightened on one side and loosened on the other when there's a turn. It looks like there's a spring inside the red thing. That provides sway control. I got the impression the Andersen needs adjustments each time it is put on, but maybe I misread.

Gene
Gene,

Have you tried Locktite on the screw that keeps loosening? I would try some BLUE Locktite on it tightened with a wrench.

About the Andersen chains.....don't think about pulling up on bars, but try to visualize what the torgue applied to the hitch head when the bars are pulled up from the ends. The hitch head is pushed foward at the top, and pulled back at the bottom.

Regards,
Steve
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steve,

I kind of get it about the chains, but I suppose, just like in college physics, I can't get into it (why I became a liberal arts major). If it works, good enough for me. So I need people to buy it and test it. In the meantime I will use what I know and not spend more money. I guess mostly everyone will do the same. Maybe someone can pick up one in Washington state for Friday at US prices and bring it to her.

I just keep checking the screw. Locktite is a good idea if I can remember that in May when it is time to summerize.

I certainly don't understand how one screw can loosen because it is on one side—coriolus effect*? My driver's side one is the one that loosens. Another advanced physics mystery.

Gene

*I actually know it can't be the coriolus effect and that it really has to do with the Bermuda triangle and the progression of the magnetic pole across northern Canada pulling at the bolt only on one side.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:

I'm not sure why the Canadian gov't has a policy to keep your dollar expensive—seems to hurt exports and makes it less likely Americans will visit. And you still pay extra for things from the US—sort of like foreign aid to the US. Ten years ago the Canadian dollar was about 2/3 the US dollar and traveling in Canada was a bargain, but for you, coming to the US must have been very, very expensive. Several years ago I read cross border traffic was way down, possibly because it is so much more difficult to do (difficult to come to the US, not the other way). I hope you can get Andersen to realize the Canadian dollar is now worth $1.01 US.

Gene
The Canadian dollar is market-based, and with the current boom in oil and other resources, our dollar is high. Way back before Wal-mart came to Canada, we'd often make shopping trips to the USA and even with our low dollar we'd save money. Now... with online shopping and all the big boxes up here as well, it's hard to find a deal in the 'States. Used cars, RV's, and stuff can sometimes be cheaper, and in better shape, going to the southern states.

Back to the Andersen... the chains are the weight-distribution part only... they don't change tension when they turn... the entire assembly actually pivots around the ball axis, so you don't even have to grease the coupler. The sway control is provided by the friction material that surrounds the tapered ball.

They demonstrate the way to unhook it without too much nut-turning is to lift the trailer up to reduce the tension on the chains, then there is a pin on the bottom of the ball assembly to drop the hitch off. This isn't any different than my EQ, where you lift the trailer 'too high', pop the bars on, and as you lower it you get your tension. Same idea.

The theory behind it is sound... just need to see if it works...
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Friday,

As you say, we always have to raise the jack to release the bars on the Equalizer and sometimes, on uneven ground, we have to use the tool they supply to lever it on or off. It is easier to lever it on than off, but it gets done. Sometimes it requires a lot of strength to do and I don't know if my wife could do it alone. The Andersen sounds like it has advantages in weight (the Equalizer head is very, very heavy) and adjustments that would help the less muscular. I thought the red things the chain is attached to had some sort of spring inside.

I thought the Harper government tried to cheapen the dollar last year, but the price of oil is countering that. It is almost impossible to get news of Canada here, so I can't really keep up. If Canada disappeared one day, I don't suppose we'd learn of it here for months until Alaska crashed into Washington and Oregon.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #64
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

What it all boils down too....you just have to be a little smarter than your hitch.

I'm simple and so's my hitch.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Quote:
*I actually know it can't be the coriolus effect and that it really has to do with the Bermuda triangle and the progression of the magnetic pole across northern Canada pulling at the bolt only on one side.
Gene,

Unfortunately, you've missed an important aspect of physics that can have a dramatic impact depending on which direction you are traveling. The gravitational pull of the moon (depending on where the Moon is in it's orbit of Earth) will increase the rate at which the bolt will loosen.

You may also notice that in the Southern Hemisphere, this rotational effect that you're experiencing is actually reversed.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
What it all boils down too....you just have to be a little smarter than your hitch.

I'm simple and so's my hitch.

Bob
Robert, this is not true in my case. My wife has to be smarter than the hitch... She does all of the grunt work.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #67
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

If Sandra grunt's while I work...does that count?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Thanks,,, just learned something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Here is a Reese :

Ok,, now I understand that I have a Reese style hitch.. I just felt they were all the same but now I see the difference..

Will file this in my obsolete processor and see if I can remember it.

Sodbust
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
remember; righty tighty? there are right hand threads on both sides, so on one side the set-screws will tend to tighten and on the opposite loosen. this is how it was explained to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Yes, now that you mention it, I think it is just one side that loosens up. I see that the new ones utilize 2 bolts to secure each L-bracket, so maybe that problem has been solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Gene,

Have you tried Locktite on the screw that keeps loosening? I would try some BLUE Locktite on it tightened with a wrench.

About the Andersen chains.....don't think about pulling up on bars, but try to visualize what the torgue applied to the hitch head when the bars are pulled up from the ends. The hitch head is pushed foward at the top, and pulled back at the bottom.

Regards,
Steve
Hi, once again, I have stopped the square headed set screws from coming loose on my "L" brackets. Instead of using a little 5/8" open end wrench, which has very little leverage and not a very secure grip either; I use a long 1/2" breaker bar with a 3/4" 12 point socket, and crank them down. Little by little, the set screws have cut threads into my "L" brackets. And now they never come loose.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

SW , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil
I have the older hitch too, as pictured in the previous post; my link plates don't seem to slip, but what I've noticed is that the 5/8 inch set screws, which secure the L-brackets, frequently loosen up, which is pretty damn disconcerting.....maybe it's time for a new hitch.....I see that they've imprqoved that design since I bought this one 5 years ago.waqswwzwswszasaAwsswaaawwsdwzaswswdsaswxwwwwaw aaaaaswawsawaewqqaeawaww
rq
AwqwwsqwwqwqwqqI'm thinking that perhaps thatwwawwa older design might also be the source of some,wwaws or all, of the noise.
wwswawwwwwawwwwwweaww
a