Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The most interesting thing in this thread to me is, here is a Reese Dual Cam user, thecatsandi, who has been happy with the hitch for 80,000 miles of travel, tries an Equalizer hitch, and prefers it over the Reese.

I think in the past here someone has been piping us a line of sunshine.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The most interesting thing in this thread to me is, here is a Reese Dual Cam user, thecatsandi, who has been happy with the hitch for 80,000 miles of travel, tries an Equalizer hitch, and prefers it over the Reese.
X2 I agree

Old 03-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The easiest way to think of an equalizer is this: Imagine weight on the ball of your trailer, it will make the rear of the TV drop and the front go up, taking weight off the front steer tires. Now imagine putting two wheelbarrow handles fixed to the TV hitch so you can lift it back level. When you do that, you take weight off the rear axle and put it on the front.

Now tie the wheelbarrow handles to the frame of the trailer to hold them up. That will put the lifting force on the wheelbarrow handles back onto the trailer tires. So, the ball weight is "equalized" between the trailer, the back TV and front TV axles. The sag in the center, caused by the ball weight on the back of the trailer is gone.

Oversimplified, but easy to visualize and may help you understand things.
It may be simplified but the wheelbarrow analogy is the best non-technical explanation of generic weight distribution systems. The variance across brands is often the sway control method employed; friction in the case of the Equalizer - other brands of Weight Distribution systems use other methods.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Likewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

I think in the past here someone has been piping us a line of sunshine.
Aftermath and I were having this same conversation at last year's Balloon Fiesta Rally as we watched someone struggle to hook up their HA

I couldn't be happier with my Equalizer.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Michelle, glad to read that you have gone to the Equalizer. Having seen the Reese hitch you had and helped you bend it back in shape, I wondered how long you would stay with it. It looked kind of cooked to me, but I didn't really understand it.

Even when the dealer set it up badly, our Equalizer worked well. After I figured out how to adjust it, it worked better. Adjustment, which takes time to master, is important.

Gene
Old 03-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Even when the dealer set it up badly, our Equalizer worked well. After I figured out how to adjust it, it worked better. Adjustment, which takes time to master, is important.

Gene
Gene, I believe that to be a statement that is aplicable to all weight distribution hitches.

Regards,
Steve
Old 03-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
So am I correct in assuming that the sway control hitch from Reese is not the same as the weight distribution hitch?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
So am I correct in assuming that the sway control hitch from Reese is not the same as the weight distribution hitch?
Weight distribution is a generic term, and some Reese models of WD hitches incorporate sway control, all models of Equilizer brand WD hitches incorporate sway control.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Alright, good to know... My dealer sells both. Is the Equal-i-zer a preferred brand? And if so, why?

My TV is a Ford F250 and we have a 30' FC on the way.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Alright, good to know... My dealer sells both. Is the Equal-i-zer a preferred brand? And if so, why?
I would say it's like the Ford vs Chevrolet argument....it depends on what the person owns that you are talking with. I only have experience with the Reese, and I can tell you it works well IF it is adjusted correctly, but I can also tell you the cams are difficult to adjust correctly, and if not done so, the sway control does not work well at all. The Equalizer just needs to have the weight distribution portion setup correctly, and the sway control works automatically.

I can tell you I have friends who own and use the Reese Dual Cam hitch and use with it an additional friction sway bar. That tells me something.

I actually own and use for the last 60,000 miles of towing, a ProPride hitch, and there is absolutely no sway at all.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hibby, I have never used anything but the Equalizer, but Michelle's testimony means something to me. She has a good understanding of mechanics (she's a former pilot who used to put out fires). Because I don't know much about the Reese, I don't know why one of her brackets on the side of the tongue bent so badly. It could be a problem with the Reese, or not. I do remember it was tough steel because we had a hard time bending things back.

The Equalizer is a simple design. But there are enough variables in any hitch system to take a while to figure out. I just found out the brackets on the head for the bars need to have the bolts torqued much more than mine are. That bit of information is buried in the instructions and easily missed; I found out in a thread last winter or late fall. Even with those loose, thereby creating less friction and more potential sway, everything worked fine. My experience tells me a badly adjusted Equalizer works well anyway. Adjust it properly, and you can tell the difference, but it was good from the start.

Some dealers don't want to take the time to adjust it properly because it eats into profit. And because the washers tend to compress over time, you may have to add one or two and readjust. Once that is done, it pretty much is ok except to check bolts periodically to see if they loosen. The L brackets on the side of the tongue have a tendency to loosen.

The hardest part for me is to find 45' of flat ground to adjust it. Last time I had to put a bunch of scrap wood on the ground for the trailer and level it to the shop floor where I had the truck. That took much too long.

It is true, of course, that just like tow vehicles, what I own is the best. Funny how people with other brands think differently.

Gene
Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
SteveH,

I just went to the ProRide website... Does that price include the tow vehicle, or was I looking at the wrong product?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
SteveH,

I just went to the ProRide website... Does that price include the tow vehicle, or was I looking at the wrong product?
Ha! Yes, they are expensive, but some would say (I'm one of them) it's worth it. The ProPride and the Hensley, which the ProPride is a later and improved version of, work differently than most any other WD hitch. They actually mechanically project the pivot point foward to make a bumper pull type trailer pull like a fifth wheel trailer.

The ProPride and the Hensley absolutely eliminate sway, and most all the others endeavor to prevent it from starting.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I only vaguely understand the ProPride and the Hensley, but the idea of them makes a lot of sense to me. But the Equalizer works fine. If I had a longer trailer, I would consider the ProPride. With your 22', even less reason to go with the PP or the HaHa.

Gene