Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
First Long Trip With AirSafe

We just completed our first long trip,(over 1000 miles) with our AirSafe. This hitch is everything it is advertised to be. The ride was almost as good as my old Classic 280 motor home. We simply did not feel the bumps, potholes, ripples and bad pavement during our trip. This is particularly good since the states are no longer maintaining the roads. We did encounter a slight sway which we did not have before so I will be installing the Reese Cam system.
I strongly recommend this hitch to anyone who wants and needs comfort while towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airsafe 003_800x600_800x600.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	144484  
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I bought one when we purchased the FB. I guess I just never knew how much the rear twins softened the ride of the items we laid on them.

With most of the living space in the rear now, our gear tended to look like it had been in a dryer after a day of travel.

We added the AirSafe and with over 5K miles we really like it.

Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Road surfaces are getting worse than I have seen in years. The seems to be the ticket to the "soft ride" for your Airstream" that is desirable. There are a couple things that bother me about it though.

1) The hitch ball is moved back some nine inches or so, which according to towing experts increases the effects of any sway condition.

2) The marketing company for the hitch claims it reduces sway. Does it? How?

My rig is stable on the roadways now but I don't like the rough ride we sometimes encounter on concrete road seams and poorly maintained highways. Would this product cure the rough ride problem but increase the effects of sway conditions?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I've been using an AirSafe for five years and as the original poster said, it does add a very noticeable level of smoothness to our towing experience.

I have not experienced any sway, and the few inches of extra space in the rear allows my F250 tailgate to come down without interference for ease of access. In any case, some form of sway control is always recommended. For me, it's two simple, but effective, friction sway control bars.

I assume the manufacturer's claims about sway has to do with the fact that the smooth ride allows less bucking on the rough roads, which should be good for sway control.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
Does this hitch allow for height adjustments for trucks with lifts?
oomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
oomph,
I have my adjustments on the lowest settings for the ball height and I'm towing with a not lifted Chevy Silverado 3500 dually. I ordered the longer drop bar with my AirSafe. It works out perfect for the height and ride between my truck and trailer.
Give them a call, maybe they have an extra long drop bar available to drop yours even more. I think you'll need it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
I'll give them a ring, thanks for the heads up!
oomph is offline   Reply With Quote