Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Thumbs up Resse vs Blue ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Don.

You need to use a rating bar that will not increase the stiffness of the tow vehicle.

I would suggest that you use a 600 pound bar, that has some decent resillience, like a Reese, but with full sway control.

We do not sell load equalizing hitches.

Andy
Andy, what do you think of the Blue Ox, to match a Dodge Ram 2014, 1500 ecodiesel, 7900lbs of towing capacity with spring coils suspension to tow a 25FB Flying cloud. 800lbs bar? Thank you
Bajaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Figuring the right WD bars- 1000# or 1400#?

I have basically the same rig and Blue Ox recommended the 1000 lb bars.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I went with the Blue Ox recommendation of the 750 lb. bars for my new rig, 2006 Safari 23.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingsilver View Post
Andy, what do you think of the Blue Ox, to match a Dodge Ram 2014, 1500 ecodiesel, 7900lbs of towing capacity with spring coils suspension to tow a 25FB Flying cloud. 800lbs bar? Thank you
^00 pounds with dual cam sway control is what you need.

I don't see that Blue Ox has any sway control, let alone one that has a brain.

Friction sway controls do not, by any stretch of the word, have a brain.

I personally used Reese products for the Caravanner Insurance Company testing, even up to over 100 MPH. Not a problem one. Other brands had obvious drawbacks.

Using other brands with have zero in field research testing, only the manufacturers word, personally tells me nothing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Thumbs up Field research, facts.

Quote:
^00 pounds with dual cam sway control is what you need.

I don't see that Blue Ox has any sway control, let alone one that has a brain.

Friction sway controls do not, by any stretch of the word, have a brain.

I personally used Reese products for the Caravanner Insurance Company testing, even up to over 100 MPH. Not a problem one. Other brands had obvious drawbacks.

Using other brands with have zero in field research testing, only the manufacturers word, personally tells me nothing.

Andy
Andy, thank you a lot for your advise, I have reading your papers and field testings, quite impressive what you have acomplish in this field. I will follow your advise with the Resse Dual cam. There is a typo at the beginning of your message, you meant 800lbs bar? Thank's again
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Smile Full time on the road

Quote:
Andy, thank you a lot for your advise, I have reading your papers and field testings, quite impressive what you have acomplish in this field. I will follow your advise with the Resse Dual cam. There is a typo at the beginning of your message, you meant 800lbs bar? Thank's again
I did no mention that we are planning to spend the next Two to Three years traveling/living full time in the trailer, also been able to get on the road and drive long distances with no worries about sway and providing to the AS a smooth ride. Thank you again
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hmmm, 800# w.d. bars with most probably a 1,000# hitch (tongue) weight and a light duty pickup, and quite possibly some additional weight for the bars to lift in the truck's bed (behind the truck rear axle). Bed cap?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Sorry for the typo.

That up arrow is on the # 6 key.

Therefore I suggested 600 pound torsion bars.

Andy
Old 08-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Hmmm, 800# w.d. bars with most probably a 1,000# hitch (tongue) weight and a light duty pickup, and quite possibly some additional weight for the bars to lift in the truck's bed (behind the truck rear axle). Bed cap?
Hello Doug, we have leer shell, 200lbs, my payload is 1600lbs, tongue weight is 834, trailer is 5440, behind the rear axle will have no more than 400lbs, towing capacity is 7900. I am calculating to have the trailer loaded at no more than 6000lbs. In the truck, myself, wife, and 90lbs dog, we travel as light we can, we may have less weight once we are done with our calculations. What do you think? Hey, thank you a lot for your input.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #30
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Flyingsilver,
I have a RAM 1500 EcoDIESEL as well. My trailer probably has a similar TW as yours.
I have an older Reese Dual Cam hitch with 750lb bars. It works well for me.
Thread here.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Thumbs up great truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Hi Flyingsilver,
I have a RAM 1500 EcoDIESEL as well. My trailer probably has a similar TW as yours.
I have an older Reese Dual Cam hitch with 750lb bars. It works well for me.
Thread here.
Hi lance, i am glad to hear from a fellow ecodiesel owner and specially how well the truck is responding to you. You did a great job with the numbers at the scale, thank you for your input. Definetely we are going with the Resse dual cam. We can't wait to drive to Portland at the ene of the month to get our new flyingcloud and make the drive to Tucson. Who knows, we may run into each other in the Southwest, keep posted and happy trailering/camping. Btw, great numbers with the fuel consumption
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Thumbs up up arrow # 6key

Quote:
Sorry for the typo.

That up arrow is on the # 6 key.

Therefore I suggested 600 pound torsion bars.

Andy
silly me, will give it our best shot with the 600 hundreds, and thank you a lot for your time,
Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I have the Reese DC and it came with 1200# bars. We have a relatively heavy 27FB Classic and they were too stiff. I switched to the 800# bars and feel I have a better ride while maintaining control. My TV is an Expedition and the 800# bars have about 2-3" bow when cinched up.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 towing a 2014 International 23D with a Husky WD System. The 23D's GVWR is 6000 with a tongue rating of 720. The A/S dealer installed 1200 pound bars rated for a tongue weight of 801 to 1200. This because 720 was close to 800.

I suspect that the typical tongue weight may be closer to 600 considering that we pack light and rarely carry more than 1/3 tank of water. My new Sherline scale registered 360-370 the first two tries and 800-810 on the third and fourth. Sherline is sending a new scales tomorrow.

The truck and trailer both towed level with the 1200 pound bars but the ride was on the rough side and there was a bit of bouncing. The hitch head seems to be angled back as far as it will go. I suspect that I'll end up trying the 800 pound bars used with our last trailer, a 2013 International 19.

We'll take the 100 mile round trip to the nearest CAT scale to test our weight distribution once we narrow things down.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
My 2013 RAM 1500 has integrated sway control as part of the tow/haul ECU. Does anyone happen to know whether this supplements or perhaps supplants the friction sway control Husky included in my WD system?

Might they even be in conflict and would I be better off not running the friction system?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post
I have the Reese DC and it came with 1200# bars. We have a relatively heavy 27FB Classic and they were too stiff. I switched to the 800# bars and feel I have a better ride while maintaining control. My TV is an Expedition and the 800# bars have about 2-3" bow when cinched up.

Your rigging can be described by one word.

PERFECT

Andy
Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #37
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Hi lance, i am glad to hear from a fellow ecodiesel owner and specially how well the truck is responding to you. You did a great job with the numbers at the scale, thank you for your input. Definetely we are going with the Resse dual cam. We can't wait to drive to Portland at the ene of the month to get our new flyingcloud and make the drive to Tucson. Who knows, we may run into each other in the Southwest, keep posted and happy trailering/camping. Btw, great numbers with the fuel consumption
You are very welcome and thanks! Best wishes with the new trailer. I am very pleased with the new RAM EcoDIESEL. A big step up from my 2002 Sequoia and light years ahead of my old 1970 Chevy C20
It is a pleasure to share the knowledge that I've gained here on the forums, here on the forums.
If you ever get to central Texas, give me a shout. The Texas camping season is just starting!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
san jose , California
Thumbs up the great adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
You are very welcome and thanks! Best wishes with the new trailer. I am very pleased with the new RAM EcoDIESEL. A big step up from my 2002 Sequoia and light years ahead of my old 1970 Chevy C20
It is a pleasure to share the knowledge that I've gained here on the forums, here on the forums.
If you ever get to central Texas, give me a shout. The Texas camping season is just starting!
Thank you Lance, we can't wait to get " hitched up" and try this new life style for us. We are quite impressed and happy to find out about this great familiy af Airstream aficionados, it is overwhelming to learn and discover so much information from all of you, I have to admit we are very blesed to start this new adventure with so much support and assistance from the group. Hope we run into each other while we drive over the TX territory. Will keep you posted with our truck performance and trailer. Thank you again
Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Goose View Post

Inland Andy described this rigging as perfect. I wish I knew how he concluded that without measurements or scale weights. Or knowing the load of the truck or trailer. Maybe the objective is a good ride rather than weight distribution.

The reason I say that is because my hitch manufacturer (ProPride) recommended 1400# bars for our similar truck and Airstream, excellent weight distribution, control and ride.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Inland Andy described this rigging as perfect. I wish I knew how he concluded that without measurements or scale weights. Or knowing the load of the truck or trailer. Maybe the objective is a good ride rather than weight distribution.

The reason I say that is because my hitch manufacturer (ProPride) recommended 1400# bars for our similar truck and Airstream, excellent weight distribution, control and ride.
Doug,

I'm with Andy on this one. Unless the TW is well over 1000#s, I would agree that the 800# bars are indeed perfect.

I worked through a Reese dual cam several years ago (it is still my "go to" backup rig) and regardless if I towed with a 2500 or a 1500 (SUV or PU), it was the correct bar rating for my variable 850# to 1050# TW, depending on whether the bikes and rack were on the tongue. Andy was part and parcel to a lengthy thread with a lot of data and discussion at that time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote