Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I saw a very nice rake that went on the front of the camper. I saw it a few years ago at the FL RV show in Tampa. It attached to the frame in a couple of places over the propane tanks. Maybe to the body, not certain. The company was out of Quebec.

Mark

Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120329-00035.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	174103

They are called Arvika. Made and sold out of Ontario. I like it a lot.
Actually, maybe it was Quebec....I do recall a language issue while ordering.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Ontario ???? They do speak english there. If there was a language problem probably somewhere in Quebec, EH

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Saint Charles , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
We tow with a pick-up but it has a cap on it. I find it clumsy and a PITA to put bikes in and out. That's why I'm looking for a " Better Way". I've thought about a front mounted rack but really don't like those.
SO, Still lookin.
We tow with a pick up, and I have a Back Flip tonneau cover that locks and keeps all our gear dry, and the bikes aren't going to fit underneath that. So the choices were to add the uprights and put the bikes up high onto the truck, or add the Fiamma and put the bikes on the TT. I chose the Fiamma primarily because I wanted the bikes to stay with the trailer when we unhook. For day trips I can still flip open the tonneau, and transport the bikes in the bed. I installed a couple of fork locks up front for that purpose. They will get dirty behind the trailer, just like they did with every hitch mount carrier that I've used in the past. But there are some very nice bike covers available, like those available at cuckoo bicycle covers.

We are about to embark on a 3 month, 4000 mile trip with the Fiamma and bikes mounted to the trailer. I will report on the carrier's performance for those who are interested.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
There was a long thread in the Commercial Listings forum about the Fiamma rack, and even had someone from Fiamma showing up and providing some info about it.

Like polarlyse, we keep my bike (and the wife's, when we get her one) under the cap of our truck. It is a PITA to get them in and out, but I suspect I'll never be happy transporting them outside anywhere, especially since during the summer my bike tends to live in the truck even when we're home.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
It was mentioned earlier about bike covers MAY obstruct the taillights when mounted on the rear. So that was something I hadn't thought about but must be a consideration. I will check with the AS dealer here in NJ one of these days to see if they have the Fiamma racks. I would really like to see one installed on a trailer of our configuration ( bumper with under drawer and rear storage cabinet ) before committing to a purchase. I usually don't bother bring bikes but would like to.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Saint Charles , Illinois
We've traveled about 3000 miles since installing the Fiamma rack onto the back of our 2012 Serenity. No issues to report. The bikes stay cleaner than when they hung off the back of my class C - must be the superior aerodynamics of the Airstream.
I think the rack is designed well. The bikes go on and off very quickly and are held much more securely than some of the hitch mounted racks I have used in the past.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
This is the home page for Arvika. They have the bike racks for over the propane tanks on the front of your trailer.

Arvika - Home

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Like this?
They are called Arvika. Made and sold out of Ontario. I like it a lot.
Actually, maybe it was Quebec....I do recall a language issue while ordering.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Some answers to questions you forgot to ask.

Bike Racks | Car Bicycle Racks - Consumer Reports

Dave
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Saint Charles , Illinois
Can you still open the front window with the rack installed?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Very interesting to see some of the rigs that folks come up with. I did buy the Fiamma at JC and installed it. Took the two bikes on the new rack down to FL in December. They worked great. I did carefully follow the install video on You Tube (a big help). While there are some comments on how ugly this is, I guess this is in the eye of the beholder. I can access both the bumper compartment and the "trunk" without major problems (though you have to work around the bike wheels with your elec cord and hose). It is most definitely a secure and solid way to carry your bikes -- which is what I was looking for in the first place.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We recently installed the Fiamma rack on the rear of our 23' Airstream Safari. We find that the bikes are very secure on this rack. Also we drove through slush and lots of rain and the bikes did not get all that dirty. We used to carry our racks on the roof of our Sequoia using Thule Big Mouth upright racks. We find that using the Fiamma is a lot easier and quicker than installing the Thule roof rack and and mounting the bikes on top of the Sequoia.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutters View Post
Can you still open the front window with the rack installed?
No, even with it folded down, it is still just a bit too tall. BUT, the whole thing lifts off of its mounting posts with 3 hand knob set screws. Not a big deal if the bikes are off.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Installed the Fiamma bike rack on my 2006 classic 28'. Drove 1000 miles with bikes attached and am very pleased. Mounting on top of the bumper required some creativity as there is space between the plastic bumper cover and the frame of the AS. I added washers in this space to stop the plastic from collapsing and ultimately cracking. I also opted to install through the frame bolts on 2 of the 3 mounting points on each side as opposed to self tapping screws. Time will tell how it holds up but as I said, I'm pleased with all aspects at this point.