Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2themax View Post
Does it matter if it is rated to 10000 pounds or is the amount the bars a rated to?
Boomer is correct and so is Mike in a way, What you have to do is ask yourself a couple of questions; A) what is the tong weight of my trailer? go with not what it is now but what it will be after referb because the weight will change. B) do I plan on upgrading to a larger trailer? no sense in buying mulitple hitches.
Boomer is correct in that it is always best to have a little more than not enough. Mike is correct in that if your hitch weight is only 700 and that is what you plan on staying with then the lighter will work but is not recomended, this is where you need to check with your insurance carrier, if you are using a system that is underated for you TV&Trailer and something happens the insurance company can and most likely would not pay because of not having proper equipment, not to mention you are taking a light system and placing more pressure than it is designed for on it which means you are asking for trouble.
The one part that Boomer is correct in and mike is not you can adjust the reese hitch to work for different set ups, I have the 1200lb reese and through adjustment I was able to use it to tow my 76 Sovereign with 800lb tong without any problems and then we bought a 35ft legend and I was able to adjust it for the heavier 1200 hitch weight.

Sarge

Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You definitely want towing mirrors for your TV. There are different types, so check out several. The mirrors will give you the ability to see what's directly behind you on the road. Without them, you can't see very close to your trailer behind you, or what's coming at you from back a ways.
We learned the "hard" way once when an ambulance had to use their loud speaker to get us out of their way (there was a good song on the radio at the time! ) That's when we bought mirrors.
We have a 2001 V10 gas Excursion - can tow anything WE might want to tow! Love that Beastie!

Kay

Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Stock Excursion is an inadequate tow vehicle for long, heavy trailers.
Speaking from experience. Google “spring wrap +excursion”
Get some rear traction bars, and a good hitch, and you’re golden.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Stock Excursion is an inadequate tow vehicle for long, heavy trailers.
Speaking from experience. Google “spring wrap +excursion”
Get some rear traction bars, and a good hitch, and you’re golden.
I disagree with you on that statement, I have a 34 foot Airstream 3 axle and a stock Excursion and mine pulled that 11,000 lbs/1000lb tongue without a problem once I took off the old hensley hitch and put my sway bars on.
Towed over 2000 miles this way, the one change I did make is I added the Ride Rites because with the addition of my wheelchair and lift into the rear and the addition of some other stuff changed the weights to 11,800, lbs/1100lb hitch which is at the max for hitch and I wanted to stablize it a little better.

Sarge
Old 10-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Here's a pretty good depiction of what happened in our Excursion+31'. However, we didn't jack-knife; it was only the fact of my genetically engineered intellect that enabled us to survive.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Yup,that's what it looks like. Id bet money there was no sway control on that hitch whatsoever. But I wasn't there so I dont know. A simple tap on the manual brake control button would have stopped that.
Steve dont pay hundreds for a brake controler or the installation. You can get the harness that's plug and play .The plug is up under the dash at your right foot. The controller comes with color coded wires and you I'm sure can connect the red to da red and black to black and da ground to da ground. The trailer hitch shop will charge ya a $100 bucks to make those simple connections. IT only takes 15 minutes to install.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I just watched that video and what I seen is what you would see with any vehicle, the problem did not start with the excursion but in the excursion and then was exerbated by inexperience.
If you watch it very close you will see that the driver made a sudden snap of the stearing that started the sway and then over corrected as it got worse.
Things that COULD have prevented it;
application of trailer brakes only short bursts
stop counter stear
light application of all brakes to slow

Of coarse I like everyone else here I was not there, and did not have a chance to do an accident incident investigation/report to know for sure what really happend to start it.

Sarge
Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Watched the video above and it really brings to mind this post from a previous discussion..... Post #38

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...e-39142-3.html
Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
The really amazing thing here, is how fast that Ferrari takes off.

« Hitch size | Top | Bracket? »