Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I believe if I were looking for a no frills, simple to use, anti sway weight distribution hitch today, and did not want to spend the money for a ProPride, I'd get this: Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66153

Should work just like an Equalizer, but with the ride of the Reese.
We haven't heard from anybody on this setup, have we? I think this is a relative new player in the market. I was told by EQ tech assist that brake pad friction material actually REDUCES effectiveness of the "L" bar load point. This as they sell me polymer bracket jackets???????? WHATEEEEEVER!

Anyway, if anybody can compare this Reese to the others, that'd be great. At least, it appears you have some flexibility on bar ratings?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've heard a couple of "reports" from different users, and they were both positive. However, I don't know how it would compare to the Equilizer in the sway control area.

I'm not suprized that the Equilizer people say it won't work, as their hitch gets most of it's friction where the bar bracket rides against the head piece.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
dznf0g, thanks for your work. I have an Equilizer 2, and was wondering what other owners thought.

Drew
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I have had an Equal-I-Zer 1400/14,000 for over three years now and have towed thousands of miles with it. I like it very much. I have a very detailed thread that I started on here way back that elaborates on how to set one up.

I pull an Avion 34X that weighs 9600lbs (probably 11,000 the way my wife loads it ) and the hitch weight can be over 1000 lbs. Equal-I-Zer uses the same bars for the 12,000lb hitch as they do for the 14,000lb hitch; so I got the big one for added assurance. Avion's frame is quite a bit beefier than Airstream's and so bending the tongue isn't a concern for me.

However, for you guys that want to use a big beefy Eq with your older Airstreams with the 4" tongue, all you'd need to do is take your 1200/1400lb load bars to a machine shop and have them grind down the bars to a profile that gives you the same flex as a 600lb bar.

It's actually much easier than it sounds. The engineer at Eq should be able to tell you how much the 600lb bar will flex at a certain load. Or easier still, if he can just give you the cross sectional dimensions of the bar (width and height), you can very easily calculate the stiffness of the bar based on that. You then need to just equal this by reducing the thickness of your heavier rated bar. Maybe you grind a quarter inch off the height. You would want to do this somewhere in the forward half of the bar. Say the bar is 1.25" thick; you'd remove 1/8" from the top and 1/8" from the bottom, then smoothly taper that back out to the full height. Maybe do it over a space of 12" or so with the minimum thickness being in the middle. So your modified bar would have sort of an hourglass shape to it, though it'd be so subtle it'd be hard to notice. It's really no big deal at all. You could then use the Eq all you want.

I've been really happy with mine. But like the first guy said, I'd get a Hensley Arrow if I had the extra peso's lying about. But, I've pulled the big silver tube at 80mph and she tracks straight as an arrow. I don't think I could get too much better....

I have used the Reese Dual Cam also. Not on my trailer, but on my dad's. it's a good hitch too. I just found it a bit more laborious to hook up and set up. But I think they're both good. It makes me happy to see any trailer using either one of these rigs going down the highway nice and level. I hate to see the dopes who have the back bumper of the tow vehicle dragging on the ground and the back bumper of the trailer in the sky. Man if I were a cop for a day.....I'd have all those jokers in the pokey

If anybody wants any help running the numbers on modifying a set of Eq bars, just shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help you.

see ya on the road,
Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
I believe if I were looking for a no frills, simple to use, anti sway weight distribution hitch today, and did not want to spend the money for a ProPride, I'd get this: Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66153

I have exactly that. 2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 FX4 + 2010 30' Flying Cloud, has worked perfect for the first 5000 miles with this truck/trailer combo. We have traveled in some pretty extreme wind conditions, highway speeds passing & being passed by trucks, never a wiggle. It doesn't make any noise.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
I sure would like some help on getting my Reese WD hitch dialed in. Just got our trailer a couple of weeks ago and the prior owner showed me how to get connected (based on his truck and load balance) and how many chain links should be showing where it is attached to the TT's tung. When we went on our first trip last weekend (after loading the TV and the TT) and hooked up it sure looked like a V when I stepped back and looked. I then pulled a lot of stuff out of the TV bed and put it back into the house, redistributed the load and hooked back up. Still had a slight V between the TV and TT. So.... I took up one more link on the chain at both sides of the trailer tung and things were looking better. But looking at how the bars were sitting in the saddle (don't think I am using the correct terminology) it didn't look quite right. Pulling the TT 'seemed' to be okay, but being an AS newbie what do I know? I am sure there are additional adjustments that should be made, but don't really know what those would be or how to make those adjustments since I am not quite sure which Reese WD hitch model I have and don't have any documentation. I want to get it corrected before our next trip. Any and all suggestions would be welcome.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Scott & Becky,

Read the first post in this thread, and it may help you: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use the Equalizer 1000, and believe it is too stiff for our trailer. We have extended the bar supports to 32" from dealer installed 29", and increased the downward tilt of the hitch head from dealer's near level for improved sway control. But the biggest improvement by far was to replace the passenger car tires on the 2006 Tundra with extra load rated tires with stiffer side wall and narrower tread. Very stable on the road now in wind gusts, big trucks passing, uneven roads. I had also considered machining the bars down to match our weight better, and I think I will do it.

Doug K
Old 07-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just a quick update.

After about 2000 miles of towing and readjusting frequently, the setup seems to have taken a set. No noise, no more adjusting in the last 1000 miles (3000 total). Just hitch and go.
VERY stable!

I use petroleum jelly on the cams and Reese grease everywhere else.

I am very pleased with the setup. Read the entire thread for explanation of setup.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:

This looks perfect for us! I need to buy a hitch. We have a new 27FB, 7600 lb GVW and a 770 Lb. TW. Going to lease a 2011 F350 crew cab.

I am concerned about the height of all this. When we hooked up the same truck it towed beautifully from Houston to Dallas without any WDH on it at all. The truck and trailer were perfectly level right out of the box:

Looking at the photo of the WDH's, they all seem to have the hitch ball soemthing like six inches or so above the receiver on the truck. Like in this one:
Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66153

If I raise the front of the trailer six inches to set it on the now higher ball, won't that screw up the levelness of it all?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
They are all adjustable. You put the ball height so when the trailer is on the hitch, and the bars are tentioned to return the weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, the trailer rides level. It might take a couple of adjustments to get it just right, but the handling and ride are much better with the hitch than without, even with a one ton truck.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
We are in the fifth season with our 2006 25' Safari SS.

We use our rig an average of 8+ times per year and have had an equalizer with 1000# bars and 10,000 capacity. We have taken several long haul trips (1000+ miles) and generally have been happy with the performance of the equalizer hitch, although the ride is stiff and a bit rough. We have never had any issues with trailer sway.

Over the 4th of July weekend I decided to take the hitch apart to clean, paint and re-set up the hitch. After I disassembled the hitch, I noticed a stress crack in the one of the sockets that receives the bar.

Progress Manufacturing service was great, and sent replacement sockets after a brief email exchange.

However, I was concerned that if the socket had a crack, that the TV hitch or the AS frame could be damaged.

So...I decided to buy the Reese Dual Cam 800#, 10,000# rated WD hitch.

The ride is much improved, and the handling is secure and stable. I think it is easier to back up as well.

I am glad we made the change -- I will post an update after we get a few more trips under our belt.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote