Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Scott & Becky,

Read the first post in this thread, and it may help you: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ams-52579.html
Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use the Equalizer 1000, and believe it is too stiff for our trailer. We have extended the bar supports to 32" from dealer installed 29", and increased the downward tilt of the hitch head from dealer's near level for improved sway control. But the biggest improvement by far was to replace the passenger car tires on the 2006 Tundra with extra load rated tires with stiffer side wall and narrower tread. Very stable on the road now in wind gusts, big trucks passing, uneven roads. I had also considered machining the bars down to match our weight better, and I think I will do it.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just a quick update.

After about 2000 miles of towing and readjusting frequently, the setup seems to have taken a set. No noise, no more adjusting in the last 1000 miles (3000 total). Just hitch and go.
VERY stable!

I use petroleum jelly on the cams and Reese grease everywhere else.

I am very pleased with the setup. Read the entire thread for explanation of setup.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I believe if I were looking for a no frills, simple to use, anti sway weight distribution hitch today, and did not want to spend the money for a ProPride, I'd get this: Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66153

Should work just like an Equalizer, but with the ride of the Reese.
This looks perfect for us! I need to buy a hitch. We have a new 27FB, 7600 lb GVW and a 770 Lb. TW. Going to lease a 2011 F350 crew cab.

I am concerned about the height of all this. When we hooked up the same truck it towed beautifully from Houston to Dallas without any WDH on it at all. The truck and trailer were perfectly level right out of the box:

Looking at the photo of the WDH's, they all seem to have the hitch ball soemthing like six inches or so above the receiver on the truck. Like in this one:
Reese SC Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion - 10,000 lbs GTW, 800 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66153

If I raise the front of the trailer six inches to set it on the now higher ball, won't that screw up the levelness of it all?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
They are all adjustable. You put the ball height so when the trailer is on the hitch, and the bars are tentioned to return the weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle, the trailer rides level. It might take a couple of adjustments to get it just right, but the handling and ride are much better with the hitch than without, even with a one ton truck.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
We are in the fifth season with our 2006 25' Safari SS.

We use our rig an average of 8+ times per year and have had an equalizer with 1000# bars and 10,000 capacity. We have taken several long haul trips (1000+ miles) and generally have been happy with the performance of the equalizer hitch, although the ride is stiff and a bit rough. We have never had any issues with trailer sway.

Over the 4th of July weekend I decided to take the hitch apart to clean, paint and re-set up the hitch. After I disassembled the hitch, I noticed a stress crack in the one of the sockets that receives the bar.

Progress Manufacturing service was great, and sent replacement sockets after a brief email exchange.

However, I was concerned that if the socket had a crack, that the TV hitch or the AS frame could be damaged.

So...I decided to buy the Reese Dual Cam 800#, 10,000# rated WD hitch.

The ride is much improved, and the handling is secure and stable. I think it is easier to back up as well.

I am glad we made the change -- I will post an update after we get a few more trips under our belt.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote