Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
San Francisco , California
Equalizer vs. Reese Dual Cam for 23' Int'l CCD?

It seems like there's a pretty even split between people who favor the Reese and people who favor the Equal-i-zer, though most of the discussion that I've seen on here seems to be for bigger units. Also, many people cite cost as a factor (in favor of the Equal-i-zer), but after some poking around they seem about the same price to me. What am I missing?

My TV will be a 2001 F-150 w/ the smaller v8, short cab, long bed, w/ the factory tow package.

I know very little about this, so any sage advice would be appreciated. Does anyone have direct experience with one or both of these setups and the 23' International or similar size/weight trailer (6000lb. GVWR, 700lb. hitch)?

FYI, a couple of the places that I found (results seem typical):

Equalizer 10000lb. (1000lb. tongue weight) is $399 here.

Reese 800lb. hitch + dual cam setup for $439 here (you need to scroll down to the table -- am I reading this wrong?)

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I think you will be happy with either one, but I also think the 10,000 lb. Equilaizer is too big. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd go with the Reese just to get the cams. They work.

I use a $250 Load Leveler clone with my trailer, which is sumular sized to yours, with no problems. Tow vehicle is a 1/2 ton GMC with the towing package.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
If you have any questions the folks at Equail-i-zer are very helpful. Also, if you get a larger camper you can just up grade the bars to the 12,000lb set if needed.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Howdy!

They're both good hitches. I used to use the Dual Cam. Now I use the Equal-I-Zer. With the Reese, you have chains that you have to snap up into place. With the Eq, you have two big load bars you snap up over L-brackets. I like the Eq better, but again, it's a personal thing.

There are three Eq's that I know about: 10k, 12k, and 14k. The 12k and 14k use the same bars, but the 14k has a heavier hitch head. I got the 14k. You adjust the load distribution my moving the L-brackets up and down and changing the cant angle of the ball. It's slick, and give you a wide range of adjustment.

The Eq's weak point, I think, are the L-brackets. I had trouble getting mine to not move. I solved it by welding them to a doubler plate so I could clamp them down tighter. Another fellow on here just welded his to the A-frame and no problems ever again. And another fellow on here bent his outward, so that when he tightened the nuts down, it bent the tops back in straight again and he could get more clamping force. Other than this minor issue, I really like the hitch a lot. I've towed about 1800 miles so far with mine and it's been utterly trouble free. Just set it up right. Don't trust a dealer to do it right either.

Check out this thread. It details my trials and tribulations setting mine up. Once you get it set up, you forget about it. Just check the torques on your bolts every now and then. It works well.

But again, the Reese has been around forever and it's a proven design too. Either would serve you well.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tml#post421226

Best of luck,
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
I have the Equalizer with my 06 23ft safari. I have an 07 silverado shortbed crew cab, so we have just about the same setup. I have put at least 10k miles on this setup with absolutely no problem, even when big rigs fly by. We drove on Rt 10 in Texas with 25 to 35 mile per hour cross winds with no problem at all driving 75++. Very easy to unhook, would i buy it again? You betcha!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
If you don't already have it, you'll also need to buy a hitch bar for the reese -- another 90 bucks. It comes with the equilizer. I've used both, probably like the reese better but don't really know why. Currently have the equilizer and it works fine for my 20' minuet. My decision was made on the $100+ price difference.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Consider yourself lucky. My reese dual cam for my 10,000 lb GVW trailer was $700 for the hitch, instalation and adjustment. It was not adjusted properly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccurdy
It seems like there's a pretty even split between people who favor the Reese and people who favor the Equal-i-zer, though most of the discussion that I've seen on here seems to be for bigger units. Also, many people cite cost as a factor (in favor of the Equal-i-zer), but after some poking around they seem about the same price to me. What am I missing?

My TV will be a 2001 F-150 w/ the smaller v8, short cab, long bed, w/ the factory tow package.

I know very little about this, so any sage advice would be appreciated. Does anyone have direct experience with one or both of these setups and the 23' International or similar size/weight trailer (6000lb. GVWR, 700lb. hitch)?

FYI, a couple of the places that I found (results seem typical):

Equalizer 10000lb. (1000lb. tongue weight) is $399 here.

Reese 800lb. hitch + dual cam setup for $439 here (you need to scroll down to the table -- am I reading this wrong?)

Thanks!
Regardless of rating, the Reese dual cam or straight line as it's sometimes called, has an effective sway torsion type control, as well as load equalizing torsion bars. It knows, by design, when the rig is "not" in a straight line, and reacts accordingly.

The Equalizer is cheaper, but does not have a sway control of any type. It has no idea if your rig is in a straight line or not.

The rating of the torsion bars, must be matched to the trailer tongue weight, and the rigidity of the tow vehicles suspension system.

The tougher the suspension system, the lighter the bars.

Heavy duty bars with a heavy duty tow vehicle, in time, will cause a number of different damages to the trailer, starting by shearing rivets, and that list grows rapidly with mileage.

Andy
Old 11-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The Equalizer bars ( at the same rated pounds) are very much larger and stiffer than the Reese bars. This results in much more veritically rigid connection between the TV and the trailer. When the rig encounters rough roads with ups and downs, this multiplies the loads taken by the trailer and the TV. If you are traveling on perfectly maintained Interstates and do not go into gas stations or campgrounds, or camp in state parks, this is not a problem. To the rest of us, who actually use our Airstreams, this will lessen the useful life of the Airstream.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
If you do not want a rigid connection between trailer and tow vehicle, then why would you use load distribution at all? Airbag the rear suspension of the tow vehicle and just pull it on the ball. Throw a shock absorber type dampener on there if you're worried about sway.

The load distribution and antisway are two separate issues. With most load bar setups, to get the antisway action to work properly, you have to deflect the bars a certain amount. So if you have a heavy truck that does not require much load distribution, you want to use light weight bars so that you deflect them the proper amount without cranking in a bunch of excess load distribution. If you have a lightly sprung tow vehicle and need to raise the rear end up 4", then you can use the heavier bars because in cranking in that much preload, you will deflect them to the proper amount. If you use heavy bars on a heavy truck, once you level it, you won't have enough preload in the bars to get the antisway to work.

This goes for any of them.

Now, maybe they're full of it, but Progress Mfg. advertises 4-point sway control. By that, they mean that you've got four pivot points on the equalizer that provide friction. It's strongly arguable that only the two in the hitch head are really giving you any significant antisway. But those two do. It is true that the Eq doesn't know if you're going straight or not. It is a friction type device that resists any movement.

I have pulled with both. Personally I do not like the Reese. I don't like fighting the chains or dealing with the greasy bars. Maybe I could have dry lubed them like I do the Eq, but eveybody I ever saw with a Dual Cam used axle grease on the pivot points. So I did to. And they just lay in these pockets, so you have to deal with them at the camp ground or they'll just fall out. They are also very noisy. But they do work, and I won't discourage anyone from them.

The Eq isn't perfect either. But I've had very good luck with mine so far.

The Hensley Arrow is better than either one of them. I think the Pullrite probably is too. But you're moving up the price scale a bit.

Actually, it's hard to beat a 5th wheel