Old 06-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #57

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've been communicating this thread to our local Airstream dealer here in the STL area. They are up to speed on this issue at this point and obviously no more hitches will go out the door incorrectly installed. They probably will make good for anyone who had one installed by them which isn't right. They offered to correct mine, although I probably will try to work on this myself rather than have to deal with a 100 mile round trip to the dealership.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:09 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
The line is soft copper tubing. All you have to do is remove the support clips if in the way, and gently pull the line down far enough to clear the bolt!! Each trailer may be a little different, but all are similar. It ain't rocket science folks...just be a little careful you don't put a serious kink in the propane line.
Cheers, Jeff

Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
it's really soft

as mentioned, it is really easy to bend by hand.

I first just drilled out the two hangars seen in the photos and then used a small piece of wood, about 3" diameter (scrap of 2x4 swung accross the band saw) with a 5/8" groove routed in the middle...the tubing just bent nicely to the wood form and I re-riveted using existing hangars to the tongue...easy 10 minute job.

You could easily do this by hand without a form if you just go very slowly and not make any big bends all at once.

Marc
Old 06-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
A big thanks to all invovled with this thread, I came across it yesterday.

I brought our trailer home Wednesday to get it ready for the first trip out this year. As I was going through my checklists, I noticed that my equalizer hitch was installed with the bolt under the LP line (by me no less). I wasn't that concerned about this issue as we had done several long trips last year with no movement in the brackets. I put my hand on the bracket to check it and sure enough it was loose. Scary!

I've since moved the LP line below and will be trying to re-fasten the line as my gas line retainer brackets were installed with untreated, rusted metal screws that broke while backing them out. I like the foam insert idea to keep the threads out of contact with the equalizer bolt.

thanks guys and gals for the headsup!
b.

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
It's the COOLEST!

Brad etal -

Ain't this ASF's just the coolest place around? Everyone is to the good, bad guys & practices get the 'daylight' they deserve... we all learn.

Win, win, win.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Needham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
The Summary of our Equal-i-zer questions, concerns and issues (post #46 above) was sent to the Airstream Factory, my dealer, and Equal-i-zer last Sunday night.

The only response, so far, has been from Josh Jones, Equal-i-zer’s Customer Support Representative, which I received today and post here in the spirit of sharing knowledge... and finding a solution.
Have you received a reply from Airstream?
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #63
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Equal-i-zer Install

I recently purchased a new 2006 Classic 25. I down loaded the installation instructions and studied them. Prior to picking AS and hitch I had 3 conversation with the folks at Progress Mfg concerning the installation and moving of the propane line. I drilled out the rivets holding the propane line and gingerly lowered the line. I placed a piece of rubber fuel line hose on the lower link plate bolt(between the link plates) and also on the propane line. I tried a short piece of PVC, but I was unable to get the bolt through the link plates. I used one of the orginial propane gas line hangers and secured it to the frame with a long sheet metal screw. No problem with the plates moving.
When in doubt read the instructions.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Have you received a reply from Airstream?
Hi hiker,

I am sorry to report that, as yet, I have not received a reply from Airstream or from my Airstream dealer regarding the "Equal-i-zer Question"… not even an acknowledgement of our concerns.

On the other hand, Josh Jones, Customer Support Rep. for Progress Mfg. Inc. (maker of Equal-i-zer) was very responsive as seen in post #51 of this thread.

I heard that Airstream Reps are at the International Rally in GA.
If anyone sees them, please let them know that we are still waiting for answers to at least one key question:

Would lowering the propane line in the area of the Sway Control bracket-bolt be problematic and/or void any Airstream warranty?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer
I recently purchased a new 2006 Classic 25. I down loaded the installation instructions and studied them. Prior to picking AS and hitch I had 3 conversation with the folks at Progress Mfg concerning the installation and moving of the propane line. I drilled out the rivets holding the propane line and gingerly lowered the line. I placed a piece of rubber fuel line hose on the lower link plate bolt(between the link plates) and also on the propane line. I tried a short piece of PVC, but I was unable to get the bolt through the link plates. I used one of the orginial propane gas line hangers and secured it to the frame with a long sheet metal screw. No problem with the plates moving.
When in doubt read the instructions.
halimer,

Please post a picture of your installation.

Thanks,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #66
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Well. It happened to me yesterday. Taking a right turn out of a filling station there was a dip in the road. The left L bracket on the equalizer hit the pavement. The whole bracket swung back and up putting a nice crimp in the gas line. Fortunately no fire.
Fix your gas line location if you haven't yet. This problem is for real !!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Equal-i-zer Install Repair Part 1 of 4

Here's an update on how this issue is resolving for me. I've posted in four parts, because I couldn't get in-line pictures to work.

Before we left for Perry, GA, I was able to have good look at my Equal-i-zer installation. Street-side there are no issues. The bolts holding the sway brackets in place are directly above and below the trailer tongue frame, and tightened evenly so that the outer plate doesn't pinch or bow. The square-headed bolt on this side was staying tight, and not backing out.

Curbside was another story. The mechanic who installed my hitch without rerouting the gas line had tightened the bolts so much that he bent the plates. Here's a couple of shots of the curb-side sway bracket. You can clearly see the bent plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent Inside Plate.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	41013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent Outside Plate.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	41014  

Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Equal-i-zer Install Repair Part 2 of 4

Looking underneath, you can see that the bolt is below the gas line. Note the two pipe hangers riveted to the frame in the vicinity of the sway bracket. Previously, I suspected that these were installed by the dealer when the hitch was installed, because the other hangers are attached with screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Old Install.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	41015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Install 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	41016  

Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Equal-i-zer Install Repair Part 3 of 4

While at Perry, I was pre occupied with all the goings on that I didn’t think to discuss this with the Airstream reps. Saturday night though, SilverGate posted a message saying, "Hey, someone at Perry ask Airstream about this." Fudge! The Airstream reps left at close of business Saturday.

The Airstream sales were still active on Sunday, so I took a good look at the trailers before any hitches were installed. It turns out, that Airstream installs the two riveted pipe hangers; all of the units there in Perry had them. My selling dealer was one of the dealers exhibiting at the International, so I discussed the situation with the dealer people at the rally. They took an action to call back to their service manager on Monday and have her verify with Airstream that drilling out the hangers and dropping the gas line for the required clearance wouldn't create any warranty issues. I was to call the service department on Monday afternoon. After calling a couple of times and leaving messages, I was finally able to connect with the service manager, and an appointment was set for Thursday July 5.

Everyone seemed to be ready for us upon our arrival at the dealership on Thursday. I didn't have to explain what to do, and was assured that there is no warranty issue in making the modification to properly install the hitch. I gave them a copy of Josh Jones' message that is posted in this thread discussing the problem for their files. The mechanic, a different person than who installed the hitch on delivery, told me the hitch was installed incorrectly.

He drilled out the two hangers, and pulled down on the line just enough to clear the bolt. The slack is obtained by bending the hangers fore and aft of this location. The inside sway bracket plate was replaced. He said the outside plate still met Equal-i-zer's specs. The brackets were then mounted properly, with the correct torque on the two nuts so as not to create any pinching or bowing. The line was covered with a plastic split tubing for chafe prevention, although there is adequate clearance between the line and the bolt threads. This now looks a lot like Tom's (Minnie's Mate) installation, except his dealer used foam instead of plastic for chafe prevention.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Install.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	41017   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Install 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	41018  

Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Equal-i-zer Install Repair Part 4 of 4

The mechanic also did a little tweaking of my hitch settings. He said the trailer was going a little nose down, down the highway, and reset a couple of things to get us level. I couldn't really tell.

Previously, I had to stop every couple of hundred miles and put a wrench on the curbside square-headed bolt to keep it tight. In the 300 miles we towed since leaving the dealership, it never came loose. Although I'll keep checking, it looks like it's fixed, and now there is no danger of crimping the gas line like what happened to henw.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote