Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
So if the loc-tite is not working: has anyone tried double nutting? How about a pic or 2.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
BillTex: Are the 3/4" bolts (200 ft/lb torque) the square head bolts that hold the L-brackets at the proper height adjustment?

AgZep: You may have something in that the brackets may need to rotate slightly to keep the L-bracket pad flush with the bar while underway. What I don’t want is for that rotation to back-out the square head bolt so that the L-bracket drops away. The square bolts do rotate with the L-brackets as you said.

I went to my trailer on Saturday (in storage) and checked; it is the curbside that keeps coming loose. It’s somewhat loose again after our last 200 mile pull. I did email Equalizer on this a while ago and haven’t received a reply yet. That’s unusual as I got a quick reply from Josh on another question. I’ll email again, maybe they didn’t get my last inquiry.

Randy
3/4" bolts hold the head to the shank-they are the largest bolt in the system (excluding the "ball").
The "square head" screws that hold the "L" brackets at the proper height are just snugged up, I don't think I even put a wrench on them, all they do is hold the bracket at the proper height, no real load placed on them. As stated, ~50k miles, never a problem.
As agzep noted, my brackets have also settled at a slight angle, complimentary to the spring bars...

I've watched Buddies struggle with chains, force levers, etc hooking up other types of hitches...no thanks.

Equalizer;set it/forget it.

Bill

Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Exclamation Reply from Equal-i-zer on L-Brackets and Square Head Bolts

I received a reply on Friday, June 8 from Josh at Progress Mfg Inc. on the questions we have raised here concerning the L-brackets coming loose. Here is my email to him and his lengthy but thorough reply. I’ll need to study this and my hitch installation before I can comment further:
Quote:
Randy,

Thank you for contacting Progress Mfg Inc. with your questions about the Equal-i-zer Hitch. I apologize for the delayed response due to a high volume of customer emails.

Your Question:
"There is a thread on the Airstream Forum http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ion-32805.html that you might want to read. Many of us posting there are complaining about the square head bolts that hold the L-brackets in place coming loose. We are all wondering what to do about it.

Several weeks ago, I tried to send an email through your web site asking the same question. I haven't received a reply yet. I tried again today, but the site wouldn't accept my email address. It said what I entered wasn't valid.

Please respond to the hitch issue on the forum, or if you email me, I will post it on the forum for all to see."

Answer:
First of all, it is important to note that any threaded bolt & nut fastening system is prone to loosening up over time, especially from the bumps and vibrations from towing on the roads. It is always a good idea to regularly check all nuts and bolts to make sure they are tight, as well as checking all pins and clips to make sure they are secure. Make this part of your routine safety check before each trip, along with checking the safety chains, electric connections, brake lights, etc.

Now addressing the main question: It may be good to clarify if the Square-headed Set Screw is actually loosening or unthreading from the welded nut, or if people are merely supposing it is happening, because they see their L-Brackets being able to pivot or rotate about the tip of this screw (when they previously stayed tight or fixed).

Over time, the L-Brackets will develop the tendency to be able to pivot or rotate ever-so-slightly about the tip of the Square-headed Set Screw. This is not necessarily an indication that the bolt has loosened. Rather, the tip of this Set Screw may eventually "wallow" out the edge of the L-Bracket hole a little bit, or the Set Screw may have been over-tightened to the point the threads smash down and wedge the Set Screw even deeper into the L-Bracket hole. This creates a situation where the L-Bracket can now pivot or rotate, while the Set Screw hasn't actually "loosened up" in the sense that the threads have not turned.

I would recommend that you and others consider this possibility, that the Set Screw hasn't backed out, but that the tip of the Set Screw and the hole in the L-Bracket have worn down a little bit to result in a looser fit, where the L-Bracket can now pivot or rotate the slight amount. When this happens, a person is now able to actually tighten the bolt up even more, until the pin wedges tightly in the L-Bracket hole. The slight wear may continue a little more, again allowing the person to continue tightening up the bolt even more (rather than having to tighten up what has actually unthreaded).

Some people have tested this by marking one of the four sides of the Square-head Set Screw to note if the marked side has changed positions from the Set Screw actually loosening or turning. If you find that the marked side has not turned or rotated, then you know the bolt isn't turning. However, the L-Bracket may be able to pivot or rotate when before it was "tight", or rigidly set to not rotate. I would recommend that this be tested to see if the bolt is staying set, or if it is indeed turning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In our experience, we have learned that the Square-head Set Screw may be able to actually loosen out or un-thread from the welded nut, if the Sway Control Brackets are moving, walking or shifting around on the A-frame when towing. This movement in the Sway Control Brackets as a whole can come from these brackets not being installed properly, or by having some obstacle on the A-frame that prevents the correct installation. The movement or "walking" of the Sway Control Brackets when towing may be able to actually loosen, turn, or unthread the Set Screw from the welded nut on the Outside Link Plate.

The Sway Control Brackets are improperly installed if the top and/or bottom ends of the Link Plates are pinching too close together, which causes the middle portions of the Link Plates to bow outward and away from the sides of the A-frame beams. The Link Plates will hold better if they are making flush contact on both sides of each A-frame beam. When they pinch too tightly at the top and/or bottom ends, it creates the outward bending at the middle of the Link Plates, and they will not hold as well over time. The resulting movement may loosen up the Set Screw.

The "pinching & bowing" can be caused if one Bracket Bolt was over-tightened before the other was tightened up. They should both be evenly tightened a little at a time, alternating between top and bottom bolts, so that they both arrive at the same finished tightness. This keeps the Link Plates making flush contact with the sides of the A-frame, instead of bowing around the A-frame.

Likewise, the same "pinching & bowing" can occur if both Bracket Bolts (top and bottom) are over-tightened, even if done so in an evenly, alternating manner. If a person over-tightens both bolts simultaneously, it can still pinch the Link Plates together at the ends, which creates the bowing, and the subsequent movement and loosening of the Set Screw.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is still another situation that can create the "pinching & bowing" effect, resulting in Sway Control Bracket movement and loosening of the Set Screw. The top Bracket Bolt runs through the single hole at the top of the two Link Plates, and this bolt will rest flush on the top of each A-frame beam. Similarly, the bottom Bracket Bolt should be set to tightly bolt around the bottom of the A-frame beam, as close to the bottom of the frame as possible.

The bottom ends of the Link Plates have 4 holes punched for bolting around various A-frame heights or thickness (3", 4", 5" and 6"). If a person has a 4" tall frame, they should have the bottom Bracket Bolt set in the 2nd hole down in the grouping of 4 holes, as this is the correct hole to use on a 4" tall frame. If the bottom Bracket Bolt is intentionally or inadvertently set in a lower hole, resulting in a gap between the bottom Bolt and the bottom of the frame, this becomes an easy source for the bottom bolt to be over-tightened, and pinched together. The Link Plates are supposed to stop pulling together when they hit the sides of the frame. But if the bolt is set lower than the bottom of the frame, then the bottom ends of the Link Plates have nothing to stop against but air, so they just keep on pinching together, while bowing outward in the middle.

Now I do know that many Airstream trailers will have a copper propane line running underneath one side of the A-frame (I believe it's on the passenger-side). I do know that some people (end-users and dealers alike) have found that this pipe was in the way of properly placing the bottom Bracket Bolt on that side, so they chose to set the bolt one hole lower, with the propane line running in-between the bolt and the frame. This will easily allow for the "pinching & bowing" effect, resulting in some movement or walking of the Sway Control Bracket, which ultimately can cause the Square-head Set Screw to loosen or turn back out of the threads.

What should be done is the propane line should be lowered in the area of the Sway Control Brackets, so that the bottom Bracket Bolt can be installed in the correct hole. This will set the bottom bolt as tight to the bottom of the A-frame as it can be. Don't let the propane line interfere. It can easily be lowered or rerouted to go underneath the bottom Bracket Bolt. Since this is a common and consistent feature on Airstream trailers, there may be many people out there with Equal-i-zer Hitches installed incorrectly, at least regarding the Sway Control Bracket bolting around the propane line. It should not bolt around the propane line, but rather, it should tightly bolt around the A-frame only. The propane line should go underneath the Bracket Bolt, which is only 1/2" in diameter.

If you or any one person is not comfortable making this change, have your local Equal-i-zer or Airstream dealer (or any other RV or mechanics shop) lower/reroute the propane line if the Sway Control Bracket is improperly bolted around this propane line.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you or any of your associates on this forum have any questions or need additional assistance, please call our toll-free number listed below, or send emails through our website: Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

Thanks,

Josh Jones
Progress Mfg Inc.
Customer Support
1-800-478-5578
jjones@progressmfg.com
Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for posting the reply you got from Equal-i-zer. I have towed more than 6K miles and mine have not become loose, yet. I'll double check them before our next trip to make sure they haven't become loose without my knowledge, but I've never noticed any play in them when hitching or un-hitching. I'll also check to see if the gas line was re-routed. As best I recall, it either was, or it didn't run in the area where it would be in the way.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Since I started this thread I will give you all an update. Mine only came loose after puling some really, really steep grades. But, once it did, I couldn't tighten them down so they would stay tight. The dealer has since re-installed, at no charge and under my supervision, and everything since seems to be OK.

John
Old 06-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Randy. Thank You for posting this letter from Progress Manufacture. After reading the whole letter I had to go right outside to take another look at my installation. The left "L" bracket on mine that came loose twice and after my fix has never come loose again is correctly mounted; But the curb side was installed with the bottom bolt, incorrectly, under the propane line. Something else to correct when I get a chance to do it. Thanks to this forum and all of it's members, we are always learning. For me, I already learned two things tonight. Thank You.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Installation Inspection

I'll be taking a close look at mine this weekend as well.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks, Randy, for posting the detailed and very helpful response from Josh Jones, of Equalizer Customer Support.
This morning I inspected my Equalizer Sway Control brackets and noted that my curbside bracket bottom bolt is also through the bottom hole, enclosing the copper propane line and causing the "pinching and bowing" effect. I took some photos of this, which I will post here this evening.
As Josh points out, what needs to be done is to put that bolt through the correct hole that is just under the A-frame, so that the bracket maintains flush contact with the A-frame. But first, the propane line needs to be lowered enough for the ˝" diameter bolt to pass through.

Josh’s detailed response should facilitate the appropriate response and correction by the dealer who originally installed it. I’ll be taking mine back to the dealer.

Thank you!

SilverGate
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Equal-i-zer Sway Control brackets (photos)

So here is the photo of my Equalizer street-side Sway Control bracket
Which appears to be mounted correctly with the bottom bolt through the holes closest to the A-frame. This helps the Link Plates hold better as they are making flush contact on both sides of the A-frame beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0919 equalizer streetside.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	39080  
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
And here is the photo of my Equalizer curb-side Sway Control bracket
Note that the bottom bolt goes through the bottom holes of the bracket!
It should have gone in the next set of holes up, the holes closest to the A-frame…
But the propane gas line is there… and this line should have been lowered enough for the ˝" bolt to pass through directly under the A-frame beam!

Josh’s instructions are also seen as part of the Equalizer Installation Instructions on page 2:
Instruction #7.c: " Insert the 2nd ˝" bolt through the hole in the outside link plate that is nearest the bottom of the trailer frame."

You can see the "pinching & bowing" effect that resulted in the dealer placing the bolt through the lower hole and not taking time to move the gas line so that the bolt could have been placed correctly.

Thanks again, Josh and Randy!

SilverGate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0918 Equalizer curbside close-up.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	39081  
Old 06-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Well, at least this concern got me my fourth rivet!

This evening I took a closer look at those Sway Control brackets…
And I could see some "pinching & bowing" effect even on the street-side brackets!

(BTW, click on the above photos to see them enlarged).

As Josh indicated, there are probably many people out there with curbside Equalizer brackets mounted "incorrectly" on their Airstream trailers (as pictured above).

So now, I’d like to get input from all of you with Airstream trailers with curb-side Equalizer Sway Control brackets mounted as I have and have had their trailer/Equalizer set-up for a year or more.

Please post your experience here…
Has your Equalizer performed well over the year(s) even though the curbside bracket is mounted this way (lower bolt in the lower hole below the gas line)?
Or in other words, do you have any problems with the Equalizer mounted this way?

Those of you who have had it "corrected"… did it make a difference & was it worth it?

My bottom-line concern: is it really worth it to take the trailer back to the dealer for this correction?

Thanks,
SilverGate
Old 06-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This is interesting. I just started following this thread tonight and went out in the dark to look. I'm also seeing the bolt in the lower hole, but I'll need daylight to see if there is pinching or bowing going on. I think the street side bracket became loose last year. It too is using the lower hole even though no gas line is on that side. That L bracket wobbles slightly whereas the curb side bracket with the gas line is as tight as a drum. I tightened things up last year on street side but obviously it has worked loose again. This hitch was installed by my dealer.

I'll check this out tomorrow morning much more closely. The hitch has performed superbly up to this point. I was pulling in steady 45 mph winds last Thursday with most of those miles as a tail wind. I did travel about 30 miles or so with that wind hitting me directly in the side. The person following me saw no sway as well as I didn't notice any.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #27
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Man...I hate to diss anybody, but all the time spent talking about this incorrect bracket install you could have fixed it already!
This is a 5 min job!
Take out the bolt, pull the LP line down, slip the bolt under the line, re-torque bolt! If needed, put another hanger on the LP line (you may not even need it).
You must learn to travel self sufficiently; that would include making MINOR adjustments like this.
What would you guys do if you had a major malfunction?
C'mon get out there and get your hands dirty...this is NO BIG DEAL!
I would not continue to travel like this...didn't you read Josh's response?

Sorry for all the razzin...but really this is a 5 MIN JOB!

Bill
Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Bill, what did you use to secure your gas line in the lower position. I can't go check mine at the moment...will have to wait 'till this evening to see how it is set up now. How will you keep the gas line from rubbing the threads of the bolt? What torque did you use when you re-inserted the bolt and tightened the nut? I don't think I have the directions since my dealer installed my hitch.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote