Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
Equalizer hitch on 2014/2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali or SLT

I'm trying to dial in my equalizer setup and I intend to get it all weighed properly. However, before I bring it in for weighing, I'd like to hear from anyone who has the same model year 2014 or 2015 GMC Sierra or Chevy Silverado. I'm curious how you are currently configured. (#washers, hitch height, sway bar bracket height... And the measurements pre and post weight distribution)
I have a feeling that I'm not setup as ideally as I could be. The gmc is a little odd in that rear end sits up well above the front. I'm not even sure what changes will affect weight distribution. I guess I'd like to see how others are setup and compare.

So my rig when hooked up is not perfectly level. The TT about an 3/4 to an inch nose down. It "looks" level but isn't actually.
The front end with weight distribution restores to original height. The rear end drops about 1 3/4 inches with weight distribution but it still sits a little higher than the front end. So visually, it all sorta looks ok but I feel like it porpoises a bit while driving.

I've weighed my truck loaded for camping, full of gas, and people but with no camper. I will be going back with the full rig hopefully on Friday.

My weights without the rig and loaded up
Steer axle 3550 (gawr 3950)
Drive axle 2700 (gawr 3950)

My tongue will probably about 1100 on the 27EB with 2nd AC. So obviously I don't want too much more on the steer axle, I'm up there in weight already.

Said a lot and not 100% sure what I'm asking. Ha
- does anyone have this same truck and hitch? If so, how are you configured.
- what changes to the setup will change the weight distribution. For example, if I wanted to make the rig level, what would I change. If I wanted to shift more weight to the front axles, what would I change?

Sorry for the ramble.

2016 Eddie Bauer 27'
runnersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
SC 3/4" nose down on the trailer is good enough. Attaching a spreadsheet where you can put down all of the weights. Three weighings. TV/TT hooked up an WD engaged. TV/TT hooked up without the WD engaged. TV only. You can do a search on Ron Gratz if you haven't already done so to learn more about this method of weighing.

For a GMC put everything in the truck and then measure from the bottom of the front wheel well to the ground. Hook up the trailer and without WD engaged. Measure again. Engage the WD and do a third measurement. GM manuals suggest that the WD engaged measurement be right between the two other measurements. Trailer should be close to level when you are done. Otherwise you do the other adjustments you mention and give it another try.

When you go to the CAT scales I do the first weighing and if they aren't busy go in and pay and ask them if I can do several additional without pulling off the scales. If they aren't to busy they typically agree. Then I pull on and do multiple changes to the WD tension until I have zero tension. Gives a good range of numbers and can be done pretty quickly, at least with a ProPride.

Here's the spreadsheet. Has some sample data for my setup.

Cat Calc Sierra 2500 5-3-14.xlsx

2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Eddie Bauer
TX , Texas
Thank you very much!
2016 Eddie Bauer 27'
runnersg is offline   Reply With Quote