Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
AZ , Arizona
equalizer hitch - any negatives?

for 22' is this an adequate hitch. any negatives? equal-i-zer brand that is!!!!
buffet breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may want amend your question because there is nothing to reference to in your question.

Maybe a picture.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikesss View Post
for 22' is this an adequate hitch. any negatives? equal-i-zer brand that is!!!!
The equalizier hitch torsion arms, provide a rough ride for the trailer, and, in spite of their claims, their torsion bars do not offer any realistic type of sway control.

To that, if you have aheavy duty tow vrhivle, you must use the lightest rating hitch that you can, so that you don't beat the trailer to death.

A superior and excellent performing hitch is a Reese dual cam.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I have an Equal-i-zer... I don't think the hitch provides a particularly rough ride for the trailer as the WD bars do the same thing that other WD hitches do.

Their "4-Way Sway Control" advertising is a bunch of crap. The tension on the bars provides friction both where they pivot and where they contact the brackets on the trailer's A-frame. How much friction? Enough friction? I don't know. I have not had sway problems with mine.

If I was to do it over again I would probably try the Reese dual cam setup.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If I were going to buy a hitch today, I'd go for the Reese ROUND BAR hitch with the dual cam sway control. The round bar hitches ride smoother than the square "trunion" bars.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I have a 22' trailer and I pull it with a 1 ton pickup. At first I used an equlizer hitch. When I stopped using it screws and rivits stopped falling out every time I pulled the trailer. Im looking for something better now. At least consider other options for your 22'

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I have a 25' Safari and use an equalizer hitch -- I find the hitch to be an excellent product, with good sway control and it provides excellent control when towing and precision backing.

We have other types of hitches, and really like the Equalizer. The recommendation from Inland RV regarding the Reese dual cam is a solid recommendation. This would be a top choice and if we ever change / upgrade our hitch.

But.... no problems with the Equalizer so fat (3 years running)

Hope this helps,

Tom
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
I have a 22' trailer and I pull it with a 1 ton pickup. At first I used an equlizer hitch. When I stopped using it screws and rivits stopped falling out every time I pulled the trailer. Im looking for something better now. At least consider other options for your 22'
A Reese dual cam 600 pound rating would be perfect for your rigging, especially since you have a super heavy duty tow vehicle.

Andy
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia

I don't know if it's adequate for a 22 footer, but it's sure pulled my 34 footer with ease and comfort for the past several years!

I've towed about 6000 miles with my Eq so far and no problems whatsoever. I have a thread on here on the setup that explains it pretty well. For the money, I think it's a good hitch.

But, if you really want a good one, get a Hensley Arrow. Nothing else comes close. If I had the money, that's the one I'd get. Look it up. Other than the price, you'll find few complaints.

see ya on the road,
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A Reese dual cam 600 pound rating would be perfect for your rigging, especially since you have a super heavy duty tow vehicle.

Andy
Why would a super heavy truck need Weight distribution for a 22' trailer? Would that not make it ride even harder? Or does it help reduce the harsh ride of the truck?

Maybe for the sway control?

I still do not have one and am thinking about getting one to help take some weight off of the hitch. My vintage 22' is borderline on hitch weight and have been told rear end of truck could become too light and effect handling. In a bad way.
Thanks.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
It's for the Sway

I think I read this on Andy's company website, or maybe one of his earlier postings from a couple years back. But....

You would not need any weight distribution to pull a little trailer like that with a big dualie truck. However, you must have some amount of spring tension for the anti sway to work right.

The deal is, you must flex the load bars a certain amount for them to be effective in anti sway. So let's say the magic number is 1". If you have a Dodge Aries, you might need 1000 lb bars because you need to lift the back of the car out of the weeds as well as flex the bars 1". But, if you have an F-350 dualie, you don't need to raise the back of the truck at all. And it's so stiff that 3000lb bars wouldn't move it much. So you don't need to move the truck any, but you need to bend the bars an inch, so the heavier the tow vehicle, the LIGHTER the bars. Hence, the 600 pounders.

It's all about the bar deflection. When you size your bars, you go off two things (A) How stiff is my tow vehicle's suspension and (B) what rating bar will work with my tow vehicle's suspension while giving me the proper amount of deflection in the bars to make the anti sway work.

Take care,
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Why would a super heavy truck need Weight distribution for a 22' trailer? Would that not make it ride even harder? Or does it help reduce the harsh ride of the truck?

Maybe for the sway control?

I still do not have one and am thinking about getting one to help take some weight off of the hitch. My vintage 22' is borderline on hitch weight and have been told rear end of truck could become too light and effect handling. In a bad way.
Thanks.

To tow safely, keyword safely, in my opinion every Airstream should be towed with a "load equalizing hitch" that also has a effective sway control.

Safety is the "issue."

Lose control of your vehicle that was not properly rigged, and hurt someone.

Then pray you have tons of liability insurance, to pay for your mistake in judgement about safe towing.

Safe towing is not a matter of opinion, but it is a matter of physics, that like it or not, you cannot change to suit a persons opinion.

Hundreds of loss of control accident investigations that I have been involved with say "it cannot safely be done." Just my opinion.

Andy
Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I switched to an Equa-l-izer hitch last year, and couldn't be happier!

I'm a 'KISS' kinda guy, whenever possible, and the 'Keep It Simple Stupid' philosophy fits right in, here.

The EQ design is well thought out, and effective for us...PLUS it's about the easiest hitch to hook up that you'll find!

I've installed a QuickBite coupler on our AS, and with the EQ hitch, I can hook up and go within 2 minutes!
1. stuff the EQ into the receiver and pin.
2. back into the QB coupler - it snaps shut automatically and pin.
3. raise the trailer jack - set the EQ arms onto their brackets and pin.
4. lower the jack, hook up safety chains, electrical cord, and the safety brake away cable.
5. do one last 'walk-around' and drive away!...oops!, return to camp and pick up wife...

The EQ's anti-sway properties work for us, at least so far! We used a side attached sway device previously, and I hated that thing! Greasy ends that attracted dirt, etc, etc.

I can imagine the other WD hitches with their cams, levers, struts, pivots, etc., do a fine job...but for us, why add all the add'l weight, and added cost, when the KISS design of the Equa-l-izer works so well!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Three and Three?

Hi, ironically we have three venders who claim their three hitches are the best and only safe hitches on the market; BULL. When ever I go camping I'm absolutely amazed that the hundreds of trailers dragged into the campgrounds from everywhere imaginable using every brand of hitch known to man [and woman] and they all made it there, and I'm sure they all made it back home. Not everyone has a Ha-Ha, a P-P, and a R.D.C.

I have and use an Equal-i-zer hitch that came with my trailer when I bought it new Sept. 7, 2004 and it works qiuite well. My tow vehicle and trailer are a good match and with my hitch it all becomes a team that works well together. Proper set-up and driver abilities are still the most important ingredients for a safe trip.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Robert....your last sentence says it ALL...

"Proper set-up and driver abilities are still the most important ingredients for a safe trip."

I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, there are a multitude of RV'ers out there that don't take the time to get involved with their equipment enough to discover these 'most important ingredients'...IMHO
Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
AZ , Arizona
thanks

thanks guys for all the input. i ended up with a used reece with an added sway bar. not sure of the model. i will edit post later. as a newbie/rookie i appreciate the help.
buffet breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In case it hasn't been said in another thread, welcome to the forums.

There are a number of threads about hitches and every body on this forum uses the best hitch made...regardless of the brand!

Andy makes good points, but to summarily dismiss the Equal-i-zer brand so verdantly shows his bias toward the only product he sells. I had made up my mind to purchase a Reese Dual Cam when I bought my Airstream three years ago until I actually talked to dealers that sell more than one brand of WD hitch. Paula Ford, one of the forum sages IMHO, once said, if you want good advise on your precious Airstream go talk to some one who sells and sets up horse trailers. They deal with dynamic loads as opposed to static loads and you have never seen anything as precious as a teenage girl's horse is to her! So not only did I talk to my Airstream dealer but I also talked to the local utility trailer/horse trailer dealer (I live in a bedroom community where all the farms have gone the way of neighborhood developments and hobby horse farms) and both said that short of a $3,000 Hensley, there was no better WD hitch for the money.

After researching several threads on the subject on this forum I decided on the Equal-l-zer brand hitch and couldn't be more satisfied. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Reese hitching system and I'm sure I would have been equally satisfied with one if I had gone that route. But that is a decision that should be made based on research and personal interpretation of that research and not just a 13-14 response thread that amounts to, "give me your opinion of the hitch you shelled out your hard earned money on." Like everyone has heard, opinions are like ________, we all have one.

As was said earlier, the Equal-i-zer is a simple to use hitch. Seems to me that the Reese would be easy to hitch-up also, but when I really studied the physics of the Equal-i-zer, I felt it was a very simple and logical system and also felt the would be easy to use. In fact, it is so simple my wife can hook up our Airstream and she has no interest in such other than to speed up getting us on the road. She guides me under the tongue of the trailer and drops the hitch onto the ball and begins the set-up while I get out of the TV and start installing the bars. She feels that part is my job, but she has grabbed a bar and inserted it on her side of the hitch a time or two when we were past check out time and had the ranger breathing down our necks.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Andy makes good points, but to summarily dismiss the Equal-i-zer brand so verdantly shows his bias toward the only product he sells.
My posted information about hitches, comes from "hundreds" loss of control accident data, specifically towing an Airstream, and "NOT" what we may sell.

Andy
Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
My posted information about hitches, comes from "hundreds" loss of control accident data, specifically towing an Airstream, and "NOT" what we may sell.

Andy
I don't have a beef with you or the product you sell. My only contention is that the data you use to support your position is data that you collected 35-40 years ago when you were an investgator for the long defunct Caravaner Insurance Company. Times and products have changed since then.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've used both hitches Reese Dual-Cam and Equal-i-zer. Personally I like the Equal-i-zer better since it I've found it easier to hitch and unhitch when the tow vehicle is at an extreme angle. Sometimes especially in a limited back in site, you just have to do your best to get in and I've had situations with the older Reese Dual-Cam setup where I couldn't get one bar off due to the angle of the tow vehicle relative to the trailer.

Bottom line both are good hitches and my 30' Classic slide out stays rock solid behind my van using my Equal-i-zer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote