Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Robert....your last sentence says it ALL...

"Proper set-up and driver abilities are still the most important ingredients for a safe trip."

I couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, there are a multitude of RV'ers out there that don't take the time to get involved with their equipment enough to discover these 'most important ingredients'...IMHO

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

thanks

thanks guys for all the input. i ended up with a used reece with an added sway bar. not sure of the model. i will edit post later. as a newbie/rookie i appreciate the help.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In case it hasn't been said in another thread, welcome to the forums.

There are a number of threads about hitches and every body on this forum uses the best hitch made...regardless of the brand!

Andy makes good points, but to summarily dismiss the Equal-i-zer brand so verdantly shows his bias toward the only product he sells. I had made up my mind to purchase a Reese Dual Cam when I bought my Airstream three years ago until I actually talked to dealers that sell more than one brand of WD hitch. Paula Ford, one of the forum sages IMHO, once said, if you want good advise on your precious Airstream go talk to some one who sells and sets up horse trailers. They deal with dynamic loads as opposed to static loads and you have never seen anything as precious as a teenage girl's horse is to her! So not only did I talk to my Airstream dealer but I also talked to the local utility trailer/horse trailer dealer (I live in a bedroom community where all the farms have gone the way of neighborhood developments and hobby horse farms) and both said that short of a $3,000 Hensley, there was no better WD hitch for the money.

After researching several threads on the subject on this forum I decided on the Equal-l-zer brand hitch and couldn't be more satisfied. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Reese hitching system and I'm sure I would have been equally satisfied with one if I had gone that route. But that is a decision that should be made based on research and personal interpretation of that research and not just a 13-14 response thread that amounts to, "give me your opinion of the hitch you shelled out your hard earned money on." Like everyone has heard, opinions are like ________, we all have one.

As was said earlier, the Equal-i-zer is a simple to use hitch. Seems to me that the Reese would be easy to hitch-up also, but when I really studied the physics of the Equal-i-zer, I felt it was a very simple and logical system and also felt the would be easy to use. In fact, it is so simple my wife can hook up our Airstream and she has no interest in such other than to speed up getting us on the road. She guides me under the tongue of the trailer and drops the hitch onto the ball and begins the set-up while I get out of the TV and start installing the bars. She feels that part is my job, but she has grabbed a bar and inserted it on her side of the hitch a time or two when we were past check out time and had the ranger breathing down our necks.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Andy makes good points, but to summarily dismiss the Equal-i-zer brand so verdantly shows his bias toward the only product he sells.
My posted information about hitches, comes from "hundreds" loss of control accident data, specifically towing an Airstream, and "NOT" what we may sell.

Andy
Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
My posted information about hitches, comes from "hundreds" loss of control accident data, specifically towing an Airstream, and "NOT" what we may sell.

Andy
I don't have a beef with you or the product you sell. My only contention is that the data you use to support your position is data that you collected 35-40 years ago when you were an investgator for the long defunct Caravaner Insurance Company. Times and products have changed since then.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've used both hitches Reese Dual-Cam and Equal-i-zer. Personally I like the Equal-i-zer better since it I've found it easier to hitch and unhitch when the tow vehicle is at an extreme angle. Sometimes especially in a limited back in site, you just have to do your best to get in and I've had situations with the older Reese Dual-Cam setup where I couldn't get one bar off due to the angle of the tow vehicle relative to the trailer.

Bottom line both are good hitches and my 30' Classic slide out stays rock solid behind my van using my Equal-i-zer.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
hitches

The Physics of guns have not changed, only dates.

The Physics of load equalizing hitches, has not changed, only dates.

Loss of control accidents, continue on, for the same reasons they did decades ago.

Strangely, most of those loss of control accidents, were avoidable, IF.

My only purpose is to educate what is safe and what is not safe, regarding the use of load equalizing hitches.

Arguments will continue in the same fashion as they do for guns.

Guns are safe, but is whose hands? Same with load equalizing hitches.

Andy
Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
My only purpose is to educate what is safe and what is not safe, regarding the use of load equalizing hitches.

Andy
I guess this means you are saying, in your professional opinion, that Equal-i-zer brand hitches are unsafe?

I'm not even sure the Equal-i-zer brand, as the product exist today, was available in the 1960's.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Short of springing for a Hensley hitch I'll stick with my Equal-i-zer.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I too think the equalizer has been quite easy, zero sway whatsoever, though I think mine might have too much weight on the front axle. not sure if it's under warranty or if the dealer would check the adjustment. I think it's sensitive enough you want to keep a close eye on your tire pressure. I worry the dealer calibrated it when the truck tires might have been low. I notice a little bit of bouncing at times, and look back and my dog seems to be bouncing even more (though my ears don't flop the way his do). I use grease on the friction points to keep the noise down and do have to regularly tighten the bolts to keep the friction on the sway bars up. for a 22' i can't imagine you'll have a problem unless it's not calibrated properly.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Andy - I've appreciated many of your posts over the past couple of years, but to compare WD hitches with gun safety makes no sense whatsoever. Also, your position seems to have changed from your first post on this string (i.e. the EQ is rough and provides no sway control) to your last (i.e. like guns, any WD hitch used safely is safe.)

I choose to agree with your second position. I'm very happy with my EQ and I think it gives a good, stable tow. Personally, I think the tow vehicle is most important factor anyway. For the person towing a 22'er with a 1-ton, I seriously doubt any WD system is necessary at all. The assertion that one should use the lightest possible bars when towing with a super-stiff tow vehicle would seem to imply the same thing.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I own two Reese hitches. One is a Twin Cam the other has the frictional dampener. I also own a Equalizer. The Reese (with the properly selected W/D bars) offer the best performance, while offering the softest ride for the trailer. I have weighed the bars for the Reese and the Equalizer. The Equalizer are way heavier and I have calculated the stiffness. The Equalizers are much stiffer. Therefore, the coupling between the tow vehicle and the trailer is much stiffer with the Equalizer and the two can not properly bend, when encountering a bump or hole in the road. This results in a rougher ride. The Equalizer offers the same frictional resistance characteristic as my frictional Reese, which is adequate for most circumstances, but the Reese twin Cam handles the job better in those unusual situations of high speed trucks passing on the Interstates where lane dividing barriers amplify the bow wave from the trucks and you have little room to move to compensate for it. If I could afford it, and thought I needed a better hitch, I would buy a Hensley or the new knock-off product, designed by the original designer of the Hensley.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
From time to time I look in the side mirror when a truck passes us, or is going the other way and is pretty close, to see if there's any sway. None. Going fast down a winding road, no sway either. We have an Equalizer. Easy to hitch up or unhitch. My wife and I each take one side, put the bars in, attach everything, drive away. Either of us can get the bars out of the pick up bed. Can back up easily with it attached.

It does make a lot of noise as the bars slide back and forth, though as the paint wears off, they get quieter. We like the noise—it says: "I'm doing my job".

Gene
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Gun or Hitch?

Hi, the only thing a Gun has in common with a Hitch is "the ability of the owner" to set-up, maintain, and use it properly.

I, before my last trip, dissasembled my Equal-i-zer hitch head assembly and cleaned every part of it, and coated all points of movement and pivot points on the bolts with Anti-seize. The hitch performed as well as ever, but without all the moaning and groaning it did before. I left the "L" brackets dry and heard very little popping on sharp turns into the campground.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote