Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
kalispell , Montana
equalizer hitch

We are taking our as out for the first time this weekend. It came with an equalizer hitch that goes from the thing with the ball on it to two cams supported by chains about a foot and a half behind the ball coupling on the trailer. Can someone tell me the procedure for hooking this up to the vehicle. I couldnt find any info on it in the manuals. thanks.
Robert Rahn
kalispell, Mt.
2006 25 safari and 1989 chevy suburban 350 4x4

Old 06-14-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Your description sounds more like a Reese hitch than an "Equalizer". it could also be a Drawtite that is also owned by Reese. The proceedure is slightly different if the hitch is a "Dual Cam Reese hitch" which also provides sway stability features. My suggestion would be for you to google "Reese Weight distribution hitch" and that should lead you to their website which will explain everything. "Equalizer" is likely to have a website also if you find out it is not a Reese.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Try this link

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The skinny answer is put enough tension with the chains on the bars so that the whole rig is as level as possible.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
kalispell , Montana
reese and draw tite

I checked this morning and the clamps on the airstream say reese. these are the ones that have the hook that supports the chains that have the cam on the other end. The two bars that rest on the cams and slide into the big thing that has the ball on it say draw tite. I looked but couldnt find any info on how to hook it up. I am just wondering if the two bars are installed before the as is lowered onto the ball, or if somehow the chains are tensioned afterward. The ball height is also adjustable. Quite complicated. I towed it back without hooking any of this up and it seemed fine, I am pullin it with an old big 4x4 suburban that I think is 3/4 ton. thanks

Robert Rahn
kalispell, Mt.
2006 safari25
Old 06-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Robert…sounds like a lot of assumptions going on here. Don’t rush out the door just yet.
  • Verify if you have a ½ ton or ¾ ton truck.This is probably a ½ ton Suburban as you only have the 350 cu/in motor. That truck is really going to be bare minimum to pull a new 25’ AS. You will need to take the time to have your rig balanced to the tee in order to be safe. Even if it its ¾ ton, you want to set this up properly so as to avoid ending up in a ditch.
  • Do you have a friend that can help you understand how to hitch this up properly?

Don’t make your first trip your last. Take some time, get all this sorted, keep your first rip close to home, and proceed slowly!

Bill
Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
kalispell , Montana
hitch

Bill thanks, most definately i havent found anyone that knows anything about it. a lot of guessing like me. I have a 1983 chevrolet pick up that is a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4. I could use it but its tight for the family. the campsite is but 18 miles from oour home but very windy and hilly roads.
Robert
Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Robert, it is not really complicated, however, you do want to understand how and why it works. Search around this site, lots of good info, probably even some pix, etc of your brand hitch.
After you hook up a few times it will be no problem. But please do yourself (and family) a favor and know how to use it properly. You should understand it, as it is likely you may have to make adjustments on the road if your load changes ( full tanks/empty tanks, beer-oops did I say that? etc).
Be sure to put some tools in your AS that you think you may need (and a few you don’t think you will need), make a binder with all your manuals (AS, hitch, appliances, etc) if you have a problem while traveling, you don’t really want to be stuck on the side of the road. That’s a nice camper you have there, you wouldn’t want to leave it somewhere scary!

Good idea making your maiden voyage a short one, don’t rush, think about every move twice (three times?).
Oh yeah, put a pen/paper in there to keep track of what you will need (I suffer from CRS and find it better to write stuff down).

One last piece of advice; after you have the hitch/TV sorted out-HAVE SOME FUN!

Bill
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have no idea where kalispell, Montana is or how big it is but I would certainly find someone in town who knows something about RV's and hitches and have them show you how one is hooked up before I would risk life and limb by not properly installing it. If your Suburban has never been used for trailering, the hitch receiver may not even be properly maintained. You could do alot of damage to yourself, your family, and the rig if you fail to do things right. There are pictures on this site of people with properly and improperly installed hitches which you could look at by using the search feature at the top of this page.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Swan Lake , Montana
Robert - I live near Kalispell and think you can find the help you need at either S&S Campers or Gardiner's Trailer Supply - both located on Hwy 93 south or Currier Welding on Highway 2. Worst situation - you might have to upgrade your hitch equipment - not a big deal when you compare the value of your family and trailer. Carol