Old 01-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #869

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
I switched from the dual can to the equalizer, MUCH more stable imho.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

Old 01-22-2016, 05:01 AM   #870
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis View Post
Whitegs -
I had an identical experience. It resolved completely using some of Equalizer's "High Performance Lubricant" and adjusting settings with a torque wrench. Now it's no effort at all. I predict you will have a similar experience.
Mark
Did you remove the sockets? Right now I can only lube the exposed surfaces of the sockets.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:31 AM   #871
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
tjdonahoe: we have used reese products for over 40 years and liked them. When we picked up our 2015 30' in December of 2014 the dealer had installed the Equalizer and gave it to us so we have kept it. The hitch took a little getting used to, the head where the bars went in were so tight I could not move them, hard to get the bars on and off the L brackets. But we drove 10,000 miles last summer and fall from PA, up thru Billings MT and up to Glacier park then cross the mountains and on to the OR and WA coast and back thru NV, UT etc. Not one issue with sway and no hitch issues. It is my personal belief that this hitch is far superior to a Reese Dual Cam, which was our last Reese. Now I find this hitch to be very easy to use, and as a topper I can back at almost a 90 degree turn without unhooking. Just in case you want one persons opinion after towing for over 40 years. Enjoy no matter what you use.

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #872
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
I'm still a bit confused. Should I remove the sockets completely and lubricate them or is it sufficient to simply loosen and retorque the bolts and lubricate just the exposed portion of the sockets.
Also, does anyone know the size of the socket and wrench I'll need to work on the nut and bolt holding the socket?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #873
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
I'm still a bit confused. Should I remove the sockets completely and lubricate them or is it sufficient to simply loosen and retorque the bolts and lubricate just the exposed portion of the sockets.
Also, does anyone know the size of the socket and wrench I'll need to work on the nut and bolt holding the socket?

At the end of our trip and season I took the whole hitch apart. Lubricated and then reassembled. When new everything is very stiff and very tight. I let ours work itself out. At times I used the helper bar they provide to put between the weight distributing bars and the frame and pried the bar loose from the bracket. I also make sure each time that the hitch is raised high enough so the bars are free of friction on the L Brackets. May have to play with this as if trailer is not perfectly level one bar may need hitch higher or lower than the other bar. When I lube I do so with the Lube purchased from Equalizer. I called them once to ask a question about operation, (taking bars off and on) and they were helpful as was the Airforum advise. Having the hitch high enough is key, then putting the bars into the hitch prior to backing in to the trailer helped a lot as well. When I took the whole thing apart I checked the ball for tightness which I did with all my previous hitches and found it had come loose, only a slight amount, but I tightened it up and used lock tight on it at the base of the ball where it sits in the hitch.

Socket size for the side bolts is 5/8" deep socket. They make a special socket for the ball which I ordered and now have.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #874
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Whitegs -
I loosened the nuts/bolts with a 15/16" socket, but did not completely disassemble. I used the spring arms to rotate the sockets out/away from the centerline and lubed top and bottom horizontal surfaces of the sockets with Equalizer lube. Torque the nuts to 45-60 ft lbs.
This worked well for me.
Mark
Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #875
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
At the end of our trip and season I took the whole hitch apart. Lubricated and then reassembled. When new everything is very stiff and very tight. I let ours work itself out. At times I used the helper bar they provide to put between the weight distributing bars and the frame and pried the bar loose from the bracket. I also make sure each time that the hitch is raised high enough so the bars are free of friction on the L Brackets. May have to play with this as if trailer is not perfectly level one bar may need hitch higher or lower than the other bar. When I lube I do so with the Lube purchased from Equalizer. I called them once to ask a question about operation, (taking bars off and on) and they were helpful as was the Airforum advise. Having the hitch high enough is key, then putting the bars into the hitch prior to backing in to the trailer helped a lot as well. When I took the whole thing apart I checked the ball for tightness which I did with all my previous hitches and found it had come loose, only a slight amount, but I tightened it up and used lock tight on it at the base of the ball where it sits in the hitch.

Socket size for the side bolts is 5/8" deep socket. They make a special socket for the ball which I ordered and now have.
Did you actually remove the sway bar sockets? Do the bolts take a 15/16 wrench?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #876
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
Did you actually remove the sway bar sockets? Do the bolts take a 15/16 wrench?
Whoops. Someone already answered this. Sorry.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #877
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Anyone ever powder coat their equalizer? The finish on the Blue Ox is nice but I prefer the Equalizer.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #878
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have not, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
May have to be smooth at L-brackets.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #879
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Actually I've never painted our equalizer. The bars are chipped and some surface rust etc and I may work on them a bit prior to taking off in the spring, but then might not. I sort of like the "used" look

Bud

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
2017 30' Classic
Old 02-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #880
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
So I had my trailer home for some odds and ends and by luck I happened to kick the L bracket on the A frame and noticed it moved. Turns out the two locking nuts holding the L bracket to the clamp that actually attaches to the A frame were quite loose. It's been 3 years since I installed the hitch. Probably worth checking all parts of the hitch annually.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #881
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Check parts every trip!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #882