Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
My Argosy frame is 1 1/2" thick, but because it is boxed, the welds make it 1/8 thicker at top and bottom inside frame. Is this a problem with the brackets gripping the frame, should I grind off the raised welds, or just tighten up with the copper tubes. This is an old style but new in the box hitch, and I have not used it yet on the Argosy. Your input is appreciated.
Hi, without seeing your frame and trying to visualize what it looks like, I would not grind the welds down or flat. The hitch bracket closest to the spring bars would be the smooth side of your frame. This should tighten up nice and stay in place.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I also wanted/needed a little more tilt on the hitch head to transfer a bit more weight to my front axle and a bit less weight on my rear axle. I already had six washers in it and added one more to make it seven. When I pre-assembled the hitch head, I thought the angle was too much, so I found a half thickness washer to use. This seems like it will make the little difference that I needed.

(1.) Shows seven washers in place.

(2.) Shows what I call six and one half washers. Click on picture to enlarge. [easier to see]
Hi, I just got home from about an eight hundred mile round trip to Phoenix, Arizona and back. I feel that my six and one half washer set up worked great. Although I have never had any drive-abilty or sway issues before. I did it to bring my front end closer to my Lincoln's un-hitched ride height. I had no issues from my trailer or tow vehicle on this trip.

On my last stop [camp ground] before coming home, My water hose froze and the camp ground sewer pipe froze. It got down to 18 degrees in the early morning. More on this story at "Bob and Lee's random trip" in the "On The Road" section of this forum.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Ninja Warriors

mefly2,

Absolutely excellent post there in #51. Well done.

Andy, if we were all ninja, you would be our sensei Seriously though, it's great information.

Keep up the good work guys!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Jamul , California
Equalizer sway bar hitching problem

My AS came with an Equalizer system. I'm having trouble getting one of the sway bars attached. I can't seem to get it high enough to slide onto the coupler. Any advice or tips?
Thanks!
Susanne
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Once your trailer is hitched up to the receiver hitch head, you should be able to raise your SuperJack to raise the trailer and receiver high enough to slide the spring arms (sway bars) onto the L-brackets, with the assistance of the Snap Up lever tool.

See Equal-i-zer Frequently Asked Questions, "How Does the Equal-i-zer Hitch Hook up?"
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Jamul , California
Thanks. Got it done this morning. Unfortunately, the snap up lever tool didn't come with the trailer. I was able to get in place but that tool should would have been handy.
S
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgintyrch View Post
Thanks. Got it done this morning. Unfortunately, the snap up lever tool didn't come with the trailer. I was able to get in place but that tool should would have been handy.
S
Hi, I only used the snap up tool a few times after I first bought my trailer and never used it since. I totally use my tongue jack to get enough lift to easily install my spring bars by hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 491RS.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	178480  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It depends on what the ground it like. Where we park the trailer, the front of the truck is a bit uphill from the trailer, so the lever tool helps. Getting it off can be difficult since I can't figure out a way to make the tool work to remove the bar easily.

Gene
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
What I have come to do with removal is, when I get to where we are camping, I just lift the rig while on level surface such as the office or just before I back it in, remove the bars and swing them to the bumper so then I'm free to back into any situation high or low. Also takes the poping sound away when I'm backing into a 90 deg angel. It works for me.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Rumship,

I do the same thing if it's really unlevel ground. Works like a charm.

If it's fairly level, I just run it up with the jack until the pressure is off and pull them off by hand.

Cheers,
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #81
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
2010 dodge 3500 single axle pulling 34 foot panamerica need help

So I bought my 2009 panamerica trailer used and it has the equalizer parts on hitch but did not come with receiver or bars. My question is what do I need to buy for bars I am thinking 600 pound since truck is heavy duty 3500 dodge diesel and do not want to rip trailer apart even though it has 1200 pound hitch weight but will get lighter with bikes loaded. My other concern is hitch height since truck has stock height but 285 tires on it. With slight drop receiver on truck now trailer is level with truck when hooked up. I have towed trailer 200km with just regular hitch and seemed good to me but it sounds like equalizer hitch is the way to go. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ped',

I think in your first sentence you may mean hitch head and not receiver. You may mean the sockets on the hitch head which could be called receivers I suppose. The hitch receiver is on the truck. I believe you can buy individual parts for the Equalizer.

Some will tell you to go with a ProPride or a Hensley (PP is cheaper and more advanced) for a heavy trailer. Not having towed anything that heavy, I can't help you with most of this. Equalizer will tell you you only use what you need regardless of the bar rating. Most of the bars only fit specific sockets on the hitch head.

Gene
Old 02-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have installed a set of Firestone air bags and use it to relieve pressure on the bars also. Most of the time the electric jack up-down does the trick. I have used a number of different hitches, but the Equalizer is a mighty fine setup for our 30' Classic S/O.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #84
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I have installed a set of Firestone air bags and use it to relieve pressure on the bars also. Most of the time the electric jack up-down does the trick. I have used a number of different hitches, but the Equalizer is a mighty fine setup for our 30' Classic S/O.
To use those bags is the very BEST WAY to destroy the purpose of any load equalizing hitch.

Air bags or air shocks inflated beyond their MINIMUM pressure will cause a loss of control accident.

That was proven time and time again by the old insurance division of Airstream, back in 1970, yes, over 40 years ago.

Physics do not change.

Go to a truck scale and see the problems that those bags cause.

Get the weights with minimum air, and then with what ever you think they should be.

Then sit back and watch how much weight you added to the rear end of your tow vehicle and how much you removed from the front of the tow vehicle.

If you have a hitch problem, the use of air bags will severely cause more problems.

Andy