E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Andy; This is an Equal-I-zer brand hitch thread. We all know that you promote and sell Reese brand hitches, So maybe you could start your own REESE BRAND HITCH thread and stop butting into all of the other hitch threads. This is one of the reasons that so many hitch threads have been closed.

Because Andy keeps “butting into all the other hitch threads”...? ReallY? Actually, I have found Andy to have been very helpful on many occasions and on many threads with good suggestions and advice...

WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #478
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Andy; This is an Equal-I-zer brand hitch thread. We all know that you promote and sell Reese brand hitches, So maybe you could start your own REESE BRAND HITCH thread and stop butting into all of the other hitch threads. This is one of the reasons that so many hitch threads have been closed.
Hey- can't we all just "get along"?? not sure what the issue here is... The forum is a great place for us all to share information....if you want to post a "private" email to a member, there is a place for that also...I enjoy reading other folks opinions and them sharing advise...I don't work for Blue-Ox, Reese, nor do I have a "horse" in this race...just trying to add my experience, which I thought this was all about?? this is not about healthcare (yet) for gosh sakes...please appreciate that some of us are only trying to share information...sorry if it happens to be on a particular thread! By the way, Andy has given some great advise and has helped several of us out...fyi..

Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #479
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Gotta say I agree with Robert. I got on this thread so I could find out some tips for my Eqal-I-zer. I really don't care about your other hitches. If I wanted to find out about them I would look them up.

George
Old 11-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #480
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I also appreciated hearing opinions on other hitches.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #481
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I also appreciated hearing opinions on other hitches.
There are threads for other hitches.

George
Old 11-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #482
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Regarding hitch noise. The Teflon sway bracket jackets that equalizer sells do cut the noise but I think the sway stopping is lessened a little. How I notice it is how hard, prior to the jackets, the hitch held an angle after making a turn. If I made a sharp right then straightened the hitch still wanted to force the truck to keep going right. I'd actually have to make a quick swerve left to get the hitch to relax and center. Now with the sway bracket jacked that tendency is not as strong. I actually consider this a positive as it was annoying driving the old way.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #483
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My rig still wants to hold the curve with the Sway Jacket Brackets. I think the difference with Sway Jacket Brackets and without isn't much, and my hitch is still noisy. The noise must be the where the bars insert into the hitch head, the hitch head itself, or the bars themselves, or all of the above. I try to keep the mindset that a noisy hitch is a functioning hitch. I don't swerve to straighten the hitch. I just hold against it for a little bit. It will straighten in a little bit, or when there is a curve the other direction.
I know this is an Equl-I-zer thread, but other hitches by their design self straighten after a turn.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #484
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
For those that want to hear about other hitches.

I'm only posting here because this hitch operates similarly to the Equal-I-zer, only better IMHO.

I don't use an Equal-I-zer hitch, but a Reese SC which operates like an Equal-I-zer with friction sway control. (those that don't want to hear about others hitches, please forward to the next post).

The Reese SC operates with brake material pads under the weight distribution bars, where the Equal-I-zer is metal to metal. Because of this, there is no noise when turning. No popping, no squeaking, and no wanting to continue a turn. However, the sway control is much better than one of the anti-sway clip-on bars that other hitches use, and there are no issues with backing up with every thing in place.

The weight distribution is good like all Reese hitches, but it rides better than the Equal-I-zer because the Reese bars are more flexible.

I do not work for Reese, nor do I have any interest in Reese or any other brand of hitch. Just trying to be helpful.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #485
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve, when we used an Equal-I-Zer I was concerned about the stiffness of the bars as well, thinking that they could be tapered and retain the same strength but be much more flexible. I thought about taking them to the local machine shop but not being an engineer, decided to get a different style hitch.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #486
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Steve, when we used an Equal-I-Zer I was concerned about the stiffness of the bars as well, thinking that they could be tapered and retain the same strength but be much more flexible. I thought about taking them to the local machine shop but not being an engineer, decided to get a different style hitch.
I earlier detailed my DIY procedure for machining down the load bars to reduce the stiffness of my 10k bars (way too stiff, but which the dealer sold me) for our initial AS FC20. That was for a relatively softly sprung 1/2 Ton Ford TV and *after modification* we ended up with about the expected deflection on the EQ brand 1K# bars equivalent to ~750# bars. Check the deflection graphs in other threads to see just where you want to be as far as beating up your AS with bars that are too stiff.

We now have a 3/4 Ton TV and the bars seem just about right in terms of stiffness for load equalization with a loaded 25' AS Int/EB. Sway control provided by the EQ design is proportional to the torque you apply to the bolts holding the load bar sockets into the head and little sway control is added by increasing the vertical load on the bars (by moving the L-brackets up or adding washers) especially when the bracket jackets are utilized to reduce noise.
We see the range of sway correction vary as the bolt torque changes with the temperature as well *** and check it prior to every trip departure. 1/16 to 1/8 turn on the nuts makes a HUGE difference in torque and noted sway control. It is even more noticeable now that the head / socket surfaces have mated to almost a mirror shine.

As for load bar noise when using bracket jackets - it then originates from the load bar rubbing along the vertical portion of the L-brackets (when turning) as the plastic pads reduce noise from the lower horizontal portion of the load bars rubbing against the horizontal portion of the L-brackets. To lubricate that area defeats the design of the product. Be sure to align the horizontal portion of the L-bracket with the lower portion of your load bars to insure maximum contact between the two surfaces. The surfaces should be parallel - not canted as many seem to install. To do that, I usually loosen the lower L-bracket nut and allow the bracket to self-adjust/align while the TV & AS are on a flat surface; then, tighten it, check the upper nut for tightness as well, and then drive off. Depending upon which holes you are using in your L-brackets, the orientation may or may not be perpendicular to your AS frame. Noise from our EQ hitch is almost non-existent *** with proper adjustment** UNLESS backing ... when I usually disconnect the load bars.

There are other designs that may at times provide superior performance to the EQ brand, but we like the easy and almost infinite adjustability of both sway control and load equalization over a range of tongue weights / trailer lengths & load and HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH THE EQ brand of hitch for many years. YMMV
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 PM   #487
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I also use the bracket jackets and can't tell any difference in anything except the lack of noise. When my hitch begins to moan and groan, [and pop] It's time to remove the spring bar sockets, clean them, and re-grease them. I changed all of my bolts to grade 8 and I torque them a little bit higher. Then it is quiet again. I've gone about 4,000 miles so far on this trip and done this twice so far. I've had this setup for ten years now and have had no problems requiring parts to be replaced on the hitch and no damage to my trailer. When I retire my faithful Lincoln I might have to buy a new shank to set up my hitch for my new F-150.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #488
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Friends: Could you walk me through the steps on adjusting my Equal-i-zer hitch. I've towed five years with the current setup and the trailer pulls perfectly even in extreme conditions. I have new tires, the axles were just aligned and I’m scrupulous about tire pressure, so the running gear is good to go. But weight distribution is not good, according to a very accurate weighing.

Lt Side Axle Rt Side Axle Totals
Front: 2800 2580 5390
Rear: 1950 2120 4070
Total: 4670 4700 9460

Tongue weight: 1370

Many thanks and safe travels.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #489
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Those numbers look like you need more weight on the tongue and trailer- if I am interpreting the numbers correctly. Too much weight distribution-
If I am interpreting the numbers correctly I would try lowering the L-brackets and maybe removing a washer from the hitch head.
If I interpreting those numbers correctly, the tow vehicle is too light in the rear.
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #490
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Rather than "tongue" I should have said "rear axle"-

TAC #MS-10